[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Got to vent here

detlef

OK, it's been explained to me that the guys who actually work the phones for the police fund raisers really aren't associated with the police themselves. Just an agency they farm out to take care of these types of things. So, I guess I'm not pissed off at the Chapel Hill Police per se.

None the less...

A few months back, I got a call from these guys looking for money for their "Shop with a Cop" program where under-privileged kids get to go shopping with a policeman for Xmas. As a local business, I give a lot to the community and did so here. I must say, however, the whole "sticker for the back of your car" business is sort of sleazy. They don't go so far as to imply it will get you out of a ticket, but they certainly flirt with the notion. I'm pretty sure that gets them some donations they wouldn't otherwise get.

At any rate, I gave $250. Frankly, considering all the people who come through my door looking for donations, I wouldn't even actually rank this among the most important money I give. Research for disease cures and children's hospital donations seem to address a more pressing need, but that's neither here nor there. I don't mean to trivialize the cause here. Also, if I'm not really careful and put a cap on how much I give, it can add up really, really quickly.

A month later, I got another call from these guys. They were still short of their target and were calling those who had already given to see if they could give more. I told him that I gave what I could afford to give because I support many other charities. I was sorry but that was all I was going to be able to give this year. A week later, another call. "We realize that you've already given and told us you couldn't give more, but we're just a bit short of our goal and thought you might reconsider."

This time I was starting to get pissed and told him. "Really, I gave what I could and that's the end of the story. I'm sorry, but that's going to have to do. Please respect the fact that I've given what I can."

Now, today I'm out picking up some stuff for a catering gig on Friday and my manager calls me. "Some guy named John ##### called and said he's a friend of yours. He asked for your cell phone number but obviously I wouldn't give it to him. I took his number if you want it." Now, I didn't recognize the last name but I meet a lot of people, so I figured I'd call him up. It was the freaking guys trying to raise money for "Shop with a Cop"

I lost it. First off, where the hell do you come off lying to my manager to try and get my number! Dude actually said, "Sir, you're not an easy guy to get a hold of." The hell I'm not. You've gotten a hold of me four times now. Then bro just goes right into his pitch. "We thank you for your contribution but we're still short... blah, blah, blah."

I was practically speechless. "Do you really expect me to give you any money? If you just keep pestering me? I've given what I can, yet you fail to show me the courtesy of leaving me the hell alone. Now you're calling my restaurant and lying to my manager to get my number? Are you serious?"

The guy gave me some more BS and I just ended the conversation.

So, I'm now thinking of calling the police themselves and telling them I appreciate what they're trying to do but the a-holes they have running their fund raiser have pretty much made it so I may never support their causes again.

when they call me I tell them that we don't handle any donations or business over the telephone. I tell them they can foward the information to me and then we will look it over and decide how to handle it at that time. They always push back and I tell them I am sorry but that is our company policy.

We also do what we can for the community. We actually run an event called STUFF A SPARKY where we donate 100% of our profits from our Dalmations and Fireman outfits on that day to the local Volunteer Fire Dept.

I hate TELEPHONE SOLICITATION!

Edited by keggerz

Most of those scams give about $.10 on the dollar to the actual charity.

Even less than that, but somehow this miniscue amount makes them exempt for the Do Not Call list for the charity clause, though they are doing it for profit and pull all those dirty tricks. :D

Here is an article on how to conduct some due diligence when a non-profit outfit calls to solicit a donation:

The Do's and Don'ts of giving.

Now if you fish around the Charity Navigator web site, you will find tons of information on how to give your money away to organizations that run efficient operations. There are also articles on what to watch out for as well. I will try to find the article that says you should NEVER give to police organizations because the professional fundraiser is keeping 85 to 90% of the money that they raise...

More on that later...

Another take:

Top Ten worst Non-Profits

Edited by KICK A$$ BLASTER

Here is an article on how to conduct some due diligence when a non-profit outfit calls to solicit a donation:

The Do's and Don'ts of giving.

Now if you fish around the Charity Navigator web site, you will find tons of information on how to give your money away to organizations that run efficient operations. There are also articles on what to watch out for as well. I will try to find the article that says you should NEVER give to police organizations because the professional fundraiser is keeping 85 to 90% of the money that they raise...

More on that later...

I like Charity Navigator ...can i send a donation to them ? :D

seriously this is good info and link :D

You got scammed. Ask him next time he calls if you can deduct in on your taxes. He'll say no. That is rule #1 to know it's a scam. I once gave $20.00 and I think they finally stopped calling because I moved. They did cold call my new number and I refused and told them never to call again very rudely. These police groups are a hugh scam.

A follow up. I just called the Chapel Hill police and talked to one of the guys who's actually a part of the policeman's union who participate in the charity. He assured me that he's as irritated by these guys as anyone and that the group sort of inherited the arrangement they had with these professional solicitors. He said they get 30% of what the guys raise but that obviously is a rather paltry amount. He also told me that this is the last year that they're obligated to use these guys and that next year, provided they continue to call for donations, the callers will be policemen themselves and that 100% of the raised money will go to the cause.

Haha, one of my first ever jobs was at a Telemarketing agency. We used to call for the New York State Police Benevolent Association. It was a total scam and we got a commission on what we collected for the Cops. That dude had some balls lyin and askin for your cell #. :D

Those guys irritate me too. They are the reason I won't even talk to charity solicitors over the phone anymore.

I used to give a little money to several charities every year. But then they'd call me three or four times a year, even I'd tell them "contact me once a year, via mail, and I'll give." Those that didn't comply stopped getting my money. But even those that did stop calling just started sending solicitations by mail 3-4 times a year. After I moved back to California I thankfully got off their lists. Now I just give the same total amount of money to one charity that is important to my brother. The charity never bugs me, except to send me address labels, which I appreciate. Plus, they haven't sold my name and address to other solicitors, which is great.

Hey detler... how is feel? You got punked by some kid on the phone, PLUS you gave him $250 so he could buy a Wii. :D

Wii's go for over 350 now as they are sold out in most places :D

i do love " how is feel " though ...reminds me of Borat :wacko:

Edited by isleseeya

Every year we actually have DPS officers, Sherriffs, and Local Police come to our office to pick up donations, so that we are sure they get all of the money. And it has actually saved me from at least one ticket, as the officer that pulled me over one day was the officer I had given a check to a week before, though that isn't the reason we donate.

Yeah, my wife got conned into a donation to the "police benevolent association" about 10 years ago, and now I can't get rid of these jokers. Every year I try to explain that don't have the resources right now, and every year I end up hanging up on them.

I donated $25 via mail years ago :D and it took a long time before I managed to throw them off the scent.

I used charity navigator last year. I donated to a group. I got a nice personalized letter in the mail. I received a couple of newsletters this year. They didn't call or beg me for money, they just kept me informed on the issue.

I gave $20 to the Fire Chief's fund back in 99 and since then I get calls four times a year from the following:

Fire Chief's Fund

Police Chief's Fund

Local Fire Department Fund

Families of slain officers

Families of follow fire fighters

State Trooper Fund

Sheriff's Department Fund

I tell them to stop calling me and finally back in the early part of fall I went off on each one that called. You know what they did next? They came to my house. Each one knocking on the door at 7PM or later at night.

None of these give more than 20 cent on the dollar and it isn't worth it. If you want to donate, walk down to the local fire/police department.

I tell them this is the butler and that the Rollers are in Europe for the "season". Leave me your number and they will return your call when they return.

Or, that this is the Roller's minister. They are expired as a result of a horrible skydiving accident and the family is at this very moment having a wake.

When you get old this stuff is funner.

I heard that most of these fundraising organizations do give almost all of their money to the underlying charity....

well, at least after they take out the expenses needed to cover the credit card fees they incur.

:D

:D