[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quick Advice

Menudo

O.k., I know a lot of this is my fault, for not being more thorough on my Dr.'s visit, but, I felt tired and drained and just wanted to get out of there. Ok, here's the story.

On Saturday, I got what first seemed like a chest cold, no big deal.

By Sunday evening, I felt like the problem went from my chest to my lungs. I was having coughing attacks like I've never had before. They were like dry, hacking coughs that relaly weren't productive in solving the situation. It was like a constant scratch and urge to cough, but, the cough really didn't help. Along with that came a stuffy nose, sore throat, some nausea, and I felt very tired.

So, on Monday, I decide that I need to see the Dr. as my condition is getting worse not better. I go to see the Dr. Nurse comes in and checks vitals, and I give her the description of everything that is wrong with me. Then the Dr. comes in. He listens to my chest, checks my throat, basically repeats the nurses questions about my symtoms, then he has to step out of the office. He comes back in about 5 minutes later with a prescription for Zithromax & a prescription for cough medicine with codeine. I asked him what was going on, and he said either bronchitis or just drainage from your sinuses. He tells me to call back if things get worse rather than better, and I leave the office. I look at the paper he gave me, and for diagnosis, he wrote "bronchitis"

I was unable to go into work on Monday.

So, Tuesday and Today, I'm not feeling any better. If anything I'm feeling a little worse. I talked to our nurse at work and explained the Dr.'s diagnosis. She said that bronchitis can fall under FMLA, but, I need a note from the Dr. for those days off. So, I call the Dr.'s office asking for this note, and they say they'll call me back soon,. after they talk to the Dr. I go back to bed and fall asleep. Wake up 3 hours later and they hadn't called. I call back into the Dr.'s office and I'm told.......... he wrote you a note for Monday, but, feels you could have gone to work the last two days.

First, I rarely miss work. If I miss work because I'm sick, it is because I don't feel well enough to go to work. I'm kind of annoyed and ticked off that the Dr. is saying that. I'm an adult that can judge for myself.....also, he really didn't do much of a diagnosis before sending me off.

I'm really not sure how to handle this. He did say "if you are feeling any worse call us back", so, I'm considering calling back for him to see me again. When the nurse told me what he said, I told her, well, I don't feel any better, does he want me to come back in. She said "the medicine takes some time, it should kick in soon" I'm usually a non-confrontational person, but, I'm a little upset. Basically, if he doesn't write the note, I won't get FLMA and will have to use vacation, no big deal, but, it is the principle of the thing. Honestly, if I don't feel better, I can't see going in tomorrow either. I feel pretty bad.

So, how would you handle this ?????

If you're that pissed off, send the Doc a bill for the two vacation days he cost you for not writing a note. Jeez, it's not like you're asking for drugs, it's just a fricken note.

I actually never heard of a company requiring the Doctors note. What if you are sick but trying to fight it off on your own ? Anyway to get back on track the DR no doubt owes you the note. I would calmly explain to the nurse that your attendance record is impeccable and in this case you not only didnt feel up to going but also felt it a courtesy to your coworkers that you didnt come in as sick as you still are

Edited by whomper

Time to get a new doctor.

This WILL be done, no doubt about it.

I don't know a lot about FMLA, but, does the Dr. get charged something what a person uses FLMA ? I'm just trying to figure out the motive here for why he wouldn't sign a note for me ? It is very odd.

Don't you have any regular sick time?

Our sick time at work sucks. We basically get 2 sick days during a floating year. If you go over that, you face some discipline. Usually, that wouldn't be a problem, but, this year, I missed 2 days back in April. They give us floating holidays and we are treated well with vacation days, so, I guess they expect us to use some of those for times we need off for sickness. I'm just frustrated, because we are talking 3 days (possibly more) here.

Most of all, I'm extremely ticked, that this Dr. seems to think that age 33, I am either "faking" or "exaggerating" and illness........

Go ahead and set an appointment with the Dr. for tomorrow. When you are there get him to write you a note in person. It's most likely the nurses/staff trying to make you go away. If you do feel better and are able to go to work call and demand to speak to the doctor in person and explain the situation to him directly.

Now, having said that, I thought the FMLA required a certain amount of time out beyond a couple of days before it came into play though I really have no idea. Ok after some quick research:

Synopsis of Law

Covered employers must grant an eligible employee up to a total of 12 workweeks of unpaid leave during any 12-month period for one or more of the following reasons:

for the birth and care of the newborn child of the employee;

for placement with the employee of a son or daughter for adoption or foster care;

to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child, or parent) with a serious health condition; or

to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition.

So, best case under FMLA is unpaid time off that doesn't ding your vacation, etc. it sounds like.

Perhaps it's time to look for a new doctor AND a new job?? :wacko:

Our sick time at work sucks. We basically get 2 sick days during a floating year. If you go over that, you face some discipline.

I just watched Michael Moore's "Sicko" 2 days ago. I liked the scene when he's discussing sick days with the French people over dinner. He asked them how many sick days they get a year. They were confused by the question. "Unlimited, of course. . .when you're sick, you're sick!"

Imagine companies treating their employees like adults. . . what an amazing concept.

Go ahead and set an appointment with the Dr. for tomorrow. When you are there get him to write you a note in person. It's most likely the nurses/staff trying to make you go away. If you do feel better and are able to go to work call and demand to speak to the doctor in person and explain the situation to him directly.

Now, having said that, I thought the FMLA required a certain amount of time out beyond a couple of days before it came into play though I really have no idea. Ok after some quick research:

So, best case under FMLA is unpaid time off that doesn't ding your vacation, etc. it sounds like.

Perhaps it's time to look for a new doctor AND a new job?? :wacko:

Completely agree with the NEW Doctor, but, I'm actually very happy with my employer. No one's a big fan of their sick day policy, but, they do give 3 weeks vacation and another weak of floating holidays / personal days when you start, so, I can't complain too much.

As for FMLA, there is some FMLA that is 'payed', at least that is what my companies nurse said.

I think my plan of action is to call and make an appointment for today or tomorrow and just let him know that I'm not feeling better, which is the truth.

As for FMLA, there is some FMLA that is 'payed', at least that is what my companies nurse said.

That would surprise me, unless you are drawing disability pay. For example, when a woman has a baby at my work they can draw disability pay for 6 weeks and it qualifies for FMLA. However, if they choose to take an additional 6 weeks to max out their FMLA, that's on their dime.

wuss :D

Well, I am a wuss when it comes to confrontation. There is part of me that feels like I should call the Dr. and let him know how angry and frustrated I am, but, for whatever reason, I am wussing out........... :wacko:

I think my plan of action is to call and make an appointment for today or tomorrow and just let him know that I'm not feeling better, which is the truth.

this is a good plan of action. when in the office mention that the nurse said "you were hesitant to write a note verifying my condition. i rarely take any time off from work and have been very bad over the past X days. just wondering if you could just confirm that to my employer?"

I can't imagine one of my doctors doing that. If anything, they always want me to take an extra day off if I come in not feeling well. Time to find a new doctor. I haven't been in for a cold for awhile, but he spent at least 15-20 minutes with me last time. I've gone for other things, and they always spend a lot of time with me.

If you're well enough to type on a message board, you're well enough to be at work, young man.

No, no, no---no arguments. Straight to work with you.

What do you think he'd be doing at work right now?

Menudo-----> :wacko:<--------thehuddle.com

I'm not sure why the doctor would refuse to give you a note for work while you're sick, but I would agree with others in this thread that you need to go back in (maybe with another doctor depending on how you feel about the first one) and present your case again especially if you're not better. Some cases of bronchitis will progress to pneumonia and require hospitalization.

Sorry your doctor is being such a putz. :wacko:

Edited by Chargerz