[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Critique my fatherly advice

polksalet

I agree with the others about not goign for the throat shots... but otherwise I would definitely teach my kid to defend himself physically (I like the hooks to the side of the head, but a straight shot to the bridge of the nose can be most effective). The only other thing that I would add, would be to make sure that he understands that he should only beat the crap out of other kids if he is defending himself or defending someone else who is getting picked on... make sure he doesn't use his new found powers for evil. :wacko:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

some quotes to consider ...

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.

Mahatma Gandhi

There are more pleasant things to do than beat up people.

Muhammad Ali

Stop picking on me.

Irish

Perseverance is more prevailing than violence; and many things which cannot be overcome when they are together, yield themselves up when taken little by little.

Plutarch

The right things to do are those that keep our violence in abeyance; the wrong things are those that bring it to the fore.

Robert J. Sawyer

It is by no means self-evident that human beings are most real when most violently excited; violent physical passions do not in themselves differentiate men from each other, but rather tend to reduce them to the same state.

Thomas Elliot

:wacko:

If he is the one being bullied now is the time to teach him to stand up for himself. I took and received many ass whoopings but I was NEVER bullied! I am not a large person but still will not take any crap from anyone!

Here's a guy that will never eat another sack lunch.

Just had a parent teacher meeting. My son, according to his teachers, deals with the other kids messing with him by bringing an appropriate adult into the equasion and is a "model" to the other students as how to behave (his twin sister is "very social" while in class :guns: ). His teachers were very impressed by the "mature" way he handles conflict in Kindergarden. Two days later, WHAM, we get the call to come and get him, and he/we are "on advisement" for fighting... One more altercation and he is out of the school!

This was very wierd since we had just been told about his "apprpriate way of handling conflict". We get to school and find out that what had happened was that one of the 1st grade boys (he is in kindergarden) at recess had pushed his twin sister to the ground and then wouldn't let her up. He came to her defense and when the kid put hands on him, he head butted him square in the nose (he had the blood in his hair from the kid) and then took him to the ground with one of his Taekwondo moves. He professed his innocence to us AND to his Taekwondo instructor that he was defending his sister and then himself. I DID NOT discipline him in any way (nor did his instructor), rather, rewarded him for his bravery, but warned him that the schools don't understand what real honor means and that in the future he needs to get help from an adult WHILE IN SCHOOL. Off campus is the real world. It is a hard concept to get across and I am not sure if he got it. It was very confusing for the poor little dude. I am very proud of the way he handled it and his classmates were impressed that he "took out" a biggger kid (only one grade higher, but one year in the life of a five year old is an eternity).

I too was raised to turn the other cheek by an over-the-edge pacifist mother and was unmercifully teased by the other kids through my second year of High School. Though was a starter for Varsity Football squad as a sophmore (O-Line Guard, I'm kind of a bigun), my off-field personna was constantly challenged by the wimpy pukes that knew they could get away with it with me. One day, at my locker, three of them started on me between classes. All of the contents of my locker were pulled out to the floor and they stood there laughing at me and pushing me everytime I bent down to collect my things. I was near tears when I looked up and saw the girl I had held a crush on for two years laughing as well. The rage welled up inside of me and 15 years of "turning the other cheek" snapped into a fury I still remeber to this day. I picked the head puke up and stuffed him into my locker while one buddy took off running and the other pissed himself (litterally) at the screams of his a$$h0le friend. The fire department had to come and get him out of the locker and he spent two days in the hospital (I am not happy with this part of the story).

My only saving grace is that a teacher had witnessed the whole thing and assured that I was not the one that started it. In the 70's, even in Kalifornica, they had not reached the rediculous PC levels of today, so I got off with only a warning (I was a good student and had never been in trouble for anything :wacko: ).

Because of this, I WILL NOT allow my children to take any form of physical abuse and have told them that they are NEVER to start a fight and to be nice to everyone, but that they are also expected to finish a fight if one is started and to stand up for themselves, even if it is only verbally. My son, loves to play rough and tumble like (and with) his dad, but is also a sweet, sensitive child and is one of those kids that could have been targeted easily because of his soft side and good nature (his favorite bird is the black-capped chickadee because they are small, fast and cute :D ). It is because of this that we started him at an early age in Taekwondo. He is still a sweet, caring child that makes my heart melt on a daily basis (and now the humming bird shares top billing with the chickadee). But, now he is also a very capable and self-confident child as well.

Is there a right way? In today's goofy hug-a-tree world of PC, probably not. The windpipe thing might be a little overboard and teaching hooks to a little kid is tough. I have been very impressed with what Taekwondo and other martial arts does for the confidence, focus (the parent of any 5 year old boy can confirm this "lack of" :D ) and coordination of even young children provides. This was the second time he has defended his siter, once in pre-school as well. I can't say anything but, "good for him", because I wish I had been afforded the same confidence and support as a kid. I would have enjoyed my childhood and school experience much more instead of the opposite I carry with me to this day! :moon:

yeah, I worry about my 9 year old being the picked on one and my 7 year old doing the asz kicking. The 7 year old plays hockey, no checking allowed of course at that age but he's put his shoulder into a few kids this year. One game he flattened this other bigger kid who is on the other mini mite team in our association. As I walked off the bench to the lcoker room all I could hear was that kids mom ranting about my son and how he cheats.

I'm sorry but had to chuckle and really didn't have a problem with it. My son was pissed at how he was being bumped. You can't teach that stuff.

Lets face it, I'd rather have no one messing with my kid then him / her getting bullied. I would of course parent him if anything got out of control and he knows that.

Hate to say it, but teaching you son to stick up for himself would be (and has been) my advise as well. I would necessarily say for him to literally go for the throat....rather, I have taught my kids that even the toughest bully will crumble with a solid shot to the nose.

My 8-year old has neighborhood friends that are a tad older than him, and over the years they have always led the way in terms of teasing, bullying, etc. I always taught my son that if someone is verbally or physically assaulting you or one of your younger siblings (he is the oldest of four), offer a warning to stop as your first response, then offer the consequenses of what you'll do next as your second response. He has never actually come to blows with another child, which I beleive is in part to me giving him the thumbs-up. A bully will often back-down immediately as soon as someone stands up to him, often wanting to avaoid the potential embarrassment of getting their arse whopped.

A lot of the teasing children are much less intimidating when they realize they could potentially be the target themselves if they were to get a beating from another child.

By the way, what the hell are these other little thugs wearing, freaking burlap sacks? How is a GAP sweater considered fancy? I mean if you have the kid wearing a bow tie or carrying a brief case, then maybe he deserves some crap... but a GAP sweater??? I don't get it.

By the way, what the hell are these other little thugs wearing, freaking burlap sacks? How is a GAP sweater considered fancy? I mean if you have the kid wearing a bow tie or carrying a brief case, then maybe he deserves some crap... but a GAP sweater??? I don't get it.

its south of the Mason Dixon line....

Hey McBoog... at what age did you first begin Taekwondo for your son? Oh, and if you don't mind... how much does it cost?

My 8-year old started karate at age 4....$90 per month....2 one-hour classes per week.

The (1) structure, (2) confidence and (3) respect for authority it taught him may have been more valuable than any real self-defense techniques, IMO. He certainly knows that if the time came to have to defend himself, he'd know what to do. That knowledge alone allows him to stick-up for himself with confidence.

Good stories, McBoog, and kudos to your kid. My boys (age 8 and 5) are the same way - they can wail on each other, but lord help anyone else who tries it. We have worked very hard on teaching our kids to get adults involved instead of settling things themselves, and they do well for the most part, but its not always possible or practical. And this is a big problem-solving skill they need to learn - dealing with conflict, a sense of fair play, etc.

So I like the taekwondo idea - I'll look into it....

Edited by Coffeeman

I think it is appropriate to tell a child that if anyone ever tries to take their clothes off that they should respond with whatever force is necessary to prevent this from happening.

This advice will make for a very awkward and possibly bloody prom night.

some quotes to consider ...

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.

Mahatma Gandhi

There are more pleasant things to do than beat up people.

Muhammad Ali

Stop picking on me.

Irish

Perseverance is more prevailing than violence; and many things which cannot be overcome when they are together, yield themselves up when taken little by little.

Plutarch

The right things to do are those that keep our violence in abeyance; the wrong things are those that bring it to the fore.

Robert J. Sawyer

It is by no means self-evident that human beings are most real when most violently excited; violent physical passions do not in themselves differentiate men from each other, but rather tend to reduce them to the same state.

Thomas Elliot

Sorry ... this is a load of manure. If your antagonists have no consequences for their actions not only will they continue to antagonize they will likely elevate the level.

everyone considered him the coward of the county

he’d never stood one single time to prove the county wrong

his mama named him Tommy, but folks just called him Yellow

something always told me they were reading Tommy wrong

He was only ten years old when his daddy died in prison

I looked after Tommy, ´cause he was by brother’s son

I still recall the final words my brother said to Tommy

„son, my life is over, but yours has just begun“

CHORUS Promise me son not to do the things I’ve done

walk away from trouble if you can

it won’t mean you’re weak if you turn the other cheek

I hope, you’re old enough to understand

son, you don’t have to fight to be a man

There’s someone for everyone, and Tommy’s love was Becky

in her arms he didn’t have to prove he was a man

one day while he was working, the Gatlin boys came calling

they took turns at Becky (there was three of them)

Tommy opened the door and saw his Becky crying

The torn dress, the shattered look was more than he could stand

he reached above the fireplace and took down his daddy‘s picture

as his tears fell on his daddy’s face, he heard this word again

CHORUS

The Gatlin boys just laughed at him when he walked into the bar room

one of them got up and met him half way cross the floor

when Tommy turned around they said „hey look old Yellow’s leaving“

but you could’ve heard a pin drop when Tommy stopped and locked the door

Twenty years of crawling were bottled up inside him

he would hold nothing back - - he let ‘em have it all

when Tommy left the bar room, not a Gatlin boy was standing