[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think I am bored with fantasy football

Chief Dick

Started thinking about this tonight. I think at this point I just go through the motions to maintain the leagues I am in. I'm not excited at all for next year, nor do I really care about any of the offseason news.

For that matter, my enthusiasm for the NFL is waning as well. Getting really tired of the endless money grab of the NFL.

Just don't really care about it anymore. Weird.

What about the love of the game?

If not that, what about getting together each year with your local buds to draft, talk about the NFL year ahead, and tip a few brews?

Even if you're not in a local, what about entering WCOFF? It's a great way to keep interest in FF.

It's painful Chief, but I'm kinda with ya. I do think it is possible that fantasy football has negatively changed the way we watch the game. The hype may have surpassed the product. I'm not really sure. I recently retired from my local in the hopes that it kind of rekindles my love for football, but I've got to admit that for the first time ever, I bought the NBA pass instead of the sunday ticket.

l I'm getting a tad bit stressed because I have free agency in my BOTH leagues coming up. . I've spent the last half year working my ass off and would be happy having more time with my son. :wacko: Worrying about Fantasy football enjoyment would be a welcome break if I can get there soon.

Edited by bushwacked

Ahhh. Classic signs of off-season-mood-disorder, likely stemming from a string of poor fantasy drafts and being afan of a team other than the STEEEEELERS ... I would recommend a "transcendental teapot" approach .. it's a time-honored blend of yoga, transcendental meditation, performance art, and British beverage, which -- when performed with flair -- will make the participant wish he was playing fantasy football:

Stand in your living room and gently chat the following while performing the indicated movements in a fluid and harmonious manner:

I'm a little teapot, short and stout

Here is my handle [one hand on hip], here is my spout [other arm out straight]

When I get all steamed up, hear me shout

Just tip me over and pour me out!

[as song ends, lean over and tip arm out like a spout]

I'm a clever teapot, yes it's true

Here's an example of what I can do

I can change my handle to my spout [switch arm positions and repeat tipping motion]

Just tip me over and pour me out

Yep, do that a few times with friends and family watching and you'll be right back online, desperately trying to figure out what the departure of Foster in Carolina means to Deangelo ....Good luck with your condition. :wacko:

Started thinking about this tonight. I think at this point I just go through the motions to maintain the leagues I am in. I'm not excited at all for next year, nor do I really care about any of the offseason news.

For that matter, my enthusiasm for the NFL is waning as well. Getting really tired of the endless money grab of the NFL.

I can understand as I feel the same as you do, however, it is Fantasy Baseball that is my issue. With all the steriods, HGH, lying to congress, huge salaries that get bigger each year, I have become tainted with my interest in FB. I have been doing baseball for at least 7 years and it was always exciting to get the break after the SB and once the pitchers and catchers report, it was time to due my due diligence for my drafts.

This time, I decided to drop both of my FBLs and actually give myself a fantasy sports vacation. :wacko: My kids spring activities are starting shortly and I am thinking I am going to enjoy spending more time with them, not clue to the PC to research that new FA that starts making noise. I am taking this FBL vacation for this year to see if I get the itch again next year, so we will see, but I think it was the right thing for me to do.

Hope you re-evaluate you feelings on football before Training camps start and figure out if you want to take a year off like the earlier post. Good luck.

Yep, it's so much more boring nowadays than it was years ago. Everyone has the same info now. I've probably only got another year in me. Just not as much fun as the old days pre-internet. ::wacko:

Yep, it's so much more boring nowadays than it was years ago. Everyone has the same info now. I've probably only got another year in me. Just not as much fun as the old days pre-internet. ::wacko:

Agreed! The lazy GMs now are just as informed with a coiuple of on-line subs. Even some of the free sites give good info. I have cut down to 2 homer BOTH leagues 9wher I own my homer team) with low maint. The competative edge for serious GMs is gone.

These threads pop up every year and I know I have started one myself a few years back! :D

I never did understand the appeal of being in a zillion leagues which I think makes a diff, but yeah even being in just 1 league it's not as fun as it used to be. Also finding the right people to be in a league with makes all the diff too. My first league/year the draft was literally a big party - people were talking it up and wondering who would take who, etc - and lots of smack talk during the season and just generally having a lot of fun with it. Then gradually people started considering it "not cool" to get into it in that way, now almost to the point now of becoming business-like (ie boring). Too bad.

Guest Chappy

It's painful Chief, but I'm kinda with ya. I do think it is possible that fantasy football has negatively changed the way we watch the game. The hype may have surpassed the product. I'm not really sure. I recently retired from my local in the hopes that it kind of rekindles my love for football, but I've got to admit that for the first time ever, I bought the NBA pass instead of the sunday ticket.

I understand all that's being said within this thread, however, it's completely depressing. We need a forum just for those who are ready to jump off the fantasy bandwagon. How about, Fantasy Counseling. Sorry to hear the lack of interest Chief, Seahawks and others. I agree 100% that FF has changed the way we watch football. I've find myself just caring about it if I or my opponents have any players in the game/s I'm watching and how they are doing. It gets to the point where all I think about each play is get the ball to __________ or don't give it to _________. I've been playing FF for a long time and have gone through brief stints where I wasn't as interested as before but then something (combine, NFL draft, free agency, camps, preseaon football, etc.) gets me back in the saddle and all is right in my FF world.

Hang in there fellas, I hope you have a change of heart but in the end, if you don't, depending on your personality taking some time off can be good or just fighting through it in hopes your love for the game rekindles is also another option (worked for me).

Edited by Chappy

i canned fbaseball a few years ago and it was a good move. that was way too draining and combining it with football was just too much.

i think this is the time of the year when you hit bottom in terms of ff. the nfl draft and then the next fantasy draft seems years away and there's nothing you can do any longer about last season's teams. once the nfl draft kicks in and some training camps start up, things will start looking up and maybe the fire will get lit again.

Not for me... I'd rather the packers win and me lose every game in FF than the other way around. Fantasy Football was only a compliment to my packers watching... Something to do when I've watched and read everything I could on the Packers... Saying that, I'm also in a Dynasty/Auction local with very dedicated owners across the board. Doing that skews opinions towards players and rarely is there a definitive no1 for any given position...

Don't get me wrong: I'll still play FF. This is not a 'I Hate FF" feeling. The drafts are great and the friendships, but it's just boring at this point. I just long for the days when it was just about a game. Maybe getting older and having kids makes me look at things from an entirely new light.

To be honest, I come to the huddle for the message boards. I don't think I've read the content for 5 years. (sorry DMD)

I'm also in a Dynasty/Auction local with very dedicated owners across the board. Doing that skews opinions towards players and rarely is there a definitive no1 for any given position...

I think the reason this league is so successful is because it is a democratic league. Or more so than any league I've played in before this...

The salary cap and contract length is also great, because it makes it seem more real; like there's some accomplishment to be ... accomplished.

Edited by Charles

Not for me... I'd rather the packers win and me lose every game in FF than the other way around. Fantasy Football was only a compliment to my packers watching... Something to do when I've watched and read everything I could on the Packers... Saying that, I'm also in a Dynasty/Auction local with very dedicated owners across the board. Doing that skews opinions towards players and rarely is there a definitive no1 for any given position...

exactly, I'd gladly go 0-14 in fantasy if the Eagles won the Superbowl....

Fantasy hasn't changed anything and it's become boring, also too time consuming for the information that I require..

I think the reason this league is so successful is because it is a democratic league. Or more so than any league I've played in before this...

The salary cap and contract length is also great, because it makes it seem more real; like there's some accomplishment to be ... accomplished.

And the Lawnmowing Jesus's finally makes a post...

you are completely correct. I forgot to throw in the disclaimer that homer teams don't apply. Passionate fans will always be passionate fans. What I was getting at was the way we watch games that our homer teams aren't involved in. When I wake up sunday morning and there are two games on, I will focus 95% of my attention that morning on the fantasy player I may have on tv, regardless of what else is going on in the games. I think it is possible that we have devalued defense and overall team play. I try to think like a football purist whenever possible, but I must admit that even I am a bit guilty for taking part in this trend. I am hoping that by retiring from fantasy football this year, I will start to look at the game like I used to, liking teams and players just because I like the way they play on the field, regardless of whether or not I drafted them. The possibility of coming out of retirement always exists, but it is an experiment that I am kind of excited to try.

Whoever quit baseball, I'm with ya. Football is my passion but baseball is my blood. It hurts, but I haven't been to a game in a handful of years and refused to watch baseball last year. As far as fantasy baseball, it's just wayyyyyyyy tooooooo lonnnnnnnnggggg. You run out of commissioner juice right after the break. So, yeah, I guess I'm a quitter.