[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think I am bored with fantasy football

Chief Dick

I burned out on fantasy baseball about 7 or 8 years ago, now down to just a local I've been in for 15+ years, but I totally do zero research before about two days pre-draft, and worry nothing about my team until June or so and then I check my standings. Mostly, the burnout came from the whole year-round aspect to it all. Minor leagues, free agency, park effects, K:BB ratios, too much baloney.

I can see football approaching that same level, but there are a couple of differences between football and other sports, that I think make it a little more palatable.

First, It's super easy to get into a routine during the week of how to go about your business. Picking up players, following injury situations, looking at matchups, start/bench. You could theoretically take care of all this on Saturday, but realistically, it really lends itself to doing it a little bit at a time as the week wears on.

Second, and most importantly, I love waking up at 9:00am on Sunday morning, getting a killer breakfast, and sitting on my ass for the next 12 hours. While I love my Seahawks, I equally love bouncing around and following the other games pertinent to my players' performance.

I'm having the same problem. I got to week 12 last year and it hit me. I was bored w/FF. I've been in it for 18 years and there isn't anywhere near the excitement over the last 2-3 years. I've done a local FF show on the radio for the last 3 years and I hear the excitement in the voices of the callers and I wonder where that has gone for me?

FF changes the way you watch and enjoy the NFL. No doubt about it.

Just remember back to when you first started playing, if you're not to old and can remember

back that far, to do so..... :D

Thats when you started following games to see FF points instead of the final score.

Thats when you started rooting for teams/players you H8.

Thats when the you started playing out scenarios in your head, late in games, that would give

you FF points, but STILL allow your homer team to win that week.

Thats when Wed. day (used to be) became Injury Report day and not hump day.

Thats when Sun. morning became more about GTD and less about coffee, bagels and reading the

Sunday Paper cover to cover.

Thats when a certain amount and type of JOY that you had for the NFL, as a kid, was lost.

So what did you gain?....Thats for you to answer. If it's about the $$, then I feel sorry for you.

I enjoy the competition of FF, if you want to call it that, but I miss not being distracted and just watching

the NFL and not caring about my FF teams. At least sometimes. (...think MNF when you have no stake in the game)

This is exactly why some of my die hard football bro's don't play FF.

I could NEVER play FB, my true pro sports passion. It would ruin the game for me, so I stay away.

:wacko:

Edited by pig devilz

I could NEVER play FB, my true pro sports passion. It would ruin the game for me, so I stay away.

:wacko:

I have a friend that is a hugh baseball fan. He pitched in college and really knows the game. I used to ask him regularly to join our FB leagues. He always said no. I said to him one day that he probably knows baseball better then all of us and that he does football why doesnt he do baseball. His reason was the same as yours. He doesnt want to watch baseball in any way other then just being a fan that loves the game. I run a rbi league that is no moves no daily very very simple. You draft 7 players and the only stat we keep is rbis. after the draft you are done. He does that league with us since its not daily and it doesnt effect how he watches the game. He wins it almost every year .

Frankly, I'm finding that the committments I've made to my wife, my kids and my clients are making it harder and harder to justify spending time on FF -- in fact, this season, outside of the SB, I probably only watched 8-10 games (in their entirity) all season long (including pre-SB playoffs).

I wish Chief Dick would stop already with these whiney threads. What the hell do you want from us , a foot rub ?

Nah.... he just needs a hug. Come on, CD, let's hug one out b-i-t-c-h....... :wacko:

Odd, FF has never gotten in between me and my love affair with football. Come Sunday, I could give 2 sh!ts about tracking players, I just want to see the games..... The big plays, the incredible catches and runs, the teeth rattling hits. That's what Football Sunday is all about....

I burned out on fantasy baseball about 7 or 8 years ago, now down to just a local I've been in for 15+ years, but I totally do zero research before about two days pre-draft, and worry nothing about my team until June or so and then I check my standings. Mostly, the burnout came from the whole year-round aspect to it all. Minor leagues, free agency, park effects, K:BB ratios, too much baloney.

I can see football approaching that same level, but there are a couple of differences between football and other sports, that I think make it a little more palatable.

First, It's super easy to get into a routine during the week of how to go about your business. Picking up players, following injury situations, looking at matchups, start/bench. You could theoretically take care of all this on Saturday, but realistically, it really lends itself to doing it a little bit at a time as the week wears on.

Second, and most importantly, I love waking up at 9:00am on Sunday morning, getting a killer breakfast, and sitting on my ass for the next 12 hours. While I love my Seahawks, I equally love bouncing around and following the other games pertinent to my players' performance.

See you and I took different paths. I manage my teams throughout the week. I make it a point NOT to check my opponent's lineups until prior to the Sunday night game. Sunday morning I work my lineups making any necessary changes due to injuries. Once the Sunday noon game kicks off fantasy football is over and I just watch the NFL game. Obviously I have a fair idea of the players I have and I keep an eye peeled on the tickers to see if my players score ... but I have the computer up during games until after the Sunday late games are over.

It is better this way.

I have been suffering from this over the last couple years - but I do not want to stop.

I think the worst would be hearing my friends talking about my leagues that would kill me

I passed commishing of one league (keeper) to another league owner this year. I also dropped out of two other leagues. I don't believe I will run my work league this year either. Its different running a league for workmates than it is for friends - way different politics.

I still run my dynasty league.

As for other teams... the first time I see the other guys lineup is at 4 on Sunday when I see how I am doing. Knowing what the other guy has is only going to make me tense. I don't want to get upset about people in the NFL doing well.

I won't add any new leagues; I get pretty burned out with three by the end of the year. But, on a net basis, I've made money every year I've played FF, and it certainly makes watching games a lot more fun, so I doubt I'll quit. Though, I don't have time to do the crazy research I used to during the year, which used to be a lot of fun.

Edited by yo mama

Started thinking about this tonight. I think at this point I just go through the motions to maintain the leagues I am in. I'm not excited at all for next year, nor do I really care about any of the offseason news.

For that matter, my enthusiasm for the NFL is waning as well. Getting really tired of the endless money grab of the NFL.

Just don't really care about it anymore. Weird.

I felt the same way but I've come up with a solution. Me and several of my friends are starting a league. The owner that finishes last has to pick one of two glasses of punch to drink. One is a normal glass of punch. The other has Iocane powder in it. The owner that finishes next to last has to drink the other glass of punch.

I felt the same way but I've come up with a solution. Me and several of my friends are starting a league. The owner that finishes last has to pick one of two glasses of punch to drink. One is a normal glass of punch. The other has Iocane powder in it. The owner that finishes next to last has to drink the other glass of punch.

The Vizzini Elimination League?

The Inconceivable Iocane Immunity League?

Ha ha ha! Ha ha ha! Ha ha h...

i think sheik said it best

dont play at all next year and by week 3 or sooner you will probably regret it

if not then you made the right decision ,,if you do well you wasted a year with no leagues but at least you know you will be hungry to play again in years to come

For me, the fantasy draft is the pinnacle of the FF season. I love preparing for the draft, watching players come off the board, seeing my team take shape, stealing someone else's pick right before they make it, etc. - good times, man, and typically accompanied by good eats in my two locals... Once my team has been drafted, most of the fun I have in my FFL's is in trying to "wheel and deal" to improve my teams. For me, the fun is in the process of building a potential champion. Once rosters freeze and the fantasy playoffs arrive, FFL loses some of its appeal to me. Not only are my rosters frozen, but the NFL season gets more interesting, as the outcome of games starts to have more of an impact on teams' chances of making the playoffs. I don't participate in any dynasty / auction leagues, but I think I'd enjoy it if I tried it, as roster management isn't confined to late August through early December.

This time of year sucks though, because all we can do to fill the FFL void is discuss free agent moves, watch/discuss the NFL draft, speculate on who is in our own mock 1st round drafts, and generally think about / talk about football without actually doing anything. Being in a fantasy baseball league can "sort of" fill the void, but it just isn't the same (at least not to me). We just need to hang in there and be happy we've got this forum and the NFL network.

I dropped a work league due to promotion but I still really enjoy FF in all my other leagues. The only thing I'd like to improve is in most of the leagues there isn't enough banter and smack for me.

Well since I'm in 3 or 4 leagues I can help you with that next year. Shiatt I'll start now....you suck...I'm gonna mop the floor with ya this season :wacko: