[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What are gas prices where you live?

Randall

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$3.65 today.

naturally I blame Obama.

I don't, but then again I didn't blame Shrub when they rose under him at a similar rate. Too bad your comrades in the main stream media can't say the same.

Bush Links To Oil Rise Ran 15-To-1 Vs. Obama

By JULIA A. SEYMOUR Posted 03/02/2011 06:34 PM ET

Unrest in the Mideast has hit American consumers hard, driving up gas prices that had already been above $3-a-gallon since Dec. 23. The national average for gasoline hit $3.36 on Feb. 28, the highest ever for the month of February, according to the Associated Press. But the amount of network news coverage of rising gas prices did not reflect it.

All three broadcast networks together averaged just one story about rising gas prices per day. In contrast, when gas prices rose similarly in 2008, the networks averaged more than one story, per network, per day.

It took 24 days, from Feb. 1 to Feb. 24, for the national average for unleaded gasoline to climb from $3.101 to 3.228. The last comparable period of "eye-popping" gas prices: the 20 days between Feb. 21 and March 11, 2008, when the national average climbed from $3.086 to $3.227.

Some 2008 reports, including the March 6 "Early Show," exaggerated the already rising prices by emphasizing extremely high prices. That morning CBS showed viewers a California gas pump charging $5.19 a gallon for regular unleaded before mentioning the national average for that day, which was $2.02 lower.

Some 2011 reports have reversed that trend by downplaying the impact of currently high gas prices on consumers by using words like "inching" to describe rising prices, or calling U.S. prices "a bargain compared to Europe."

The Business & Media Institute examined all the broadcast network news reports mentioning gas prices during each of those time periods and found ABC, CBS and NBC aired more than 2 1/2 times more stories (63 stories to 24) in 2008 than they did in 2011.

But it was more than just the amount of coverage that showed the media's willingness to spin gas prices one way under Bush and another way under Obama. In 2008, network reporters mentioned "Bush," the "president" or "government" in gas price reports 15 times more often than in 2011 under President Obama (15 stories to 1). A number of stories portrayed Bush as out-of-the-loop when asked about the possibility of $4 gas and hadn't yet heard that prediction.

In contrast to the 15 reports referencing the Bush when gas prices were "through the roof," the only 2011 story to mention Obama has been NBC "Nightly News" on Feb. 24, when Tom Costello quoted Obama as being "optimistic."

"We actually think that we'll be able to ride out the Libya situation and it will stabilize," Obama said. Costello didn't question the president's statement or mention any of the administration's policies that will constrict the supply of oil and gasoline and could further increase the price of gasoline for consumers.

Investor's Business Daily

Edited by Perchoutofwater

It's almost getting high enough that the people that are too poor and ugly to drive American cars aren't going to be able to drive much anymore. My commute is improving daily without a bunch of 4 cylinders on the road. I mean, you think people would work 2 jobs to afford at least a 6-cylinder that can barely do 35 MPH.

Edited by TimC

$75.20 ta fill the truck, i'm ready for a f'n revolution. When i was building a stop and rob they were bitchin bout the taxes on gas. whatever the hell is goin on ain't workin, i swear this country gets wussified and dumber everyday. give the people abreak ya brainless idiots, tap some descent ass and let us by food instead of gas, f'n coughsuffers :wacko:

Royal Farms is $3.49. The Shell near my house does 5¢ off gas every Thursday, so their price for regular is $3.44 today. You save a whopping $1.00 if you have a 20 gallon tank. You'd think they were giving away canned hams and LCD screens, it's completely packed with cars.

I originally thought we'd see prices as high as $8.00 at the pump, but I think crude oil has a nosedive coming soon...I'm still not sure how this will translate at the pump if the rest of the world keeps being so catastrophic right now...there's a lot of factors in play.

• 2 weeks later...