[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Still think Dallas won't move up for McFadden?

Bronco Billy

Sources: Marion Barber and Dallas Cowboys far apart on contract numbers

From Calvin Watkins at the DMN:

The Cowboys have held preliminary talks with the running back's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, according to multiple sources, and are offering a financial package in the $30 million range. Barber wants a package between $40 million and $60 million. [snip] Barber's asking price is comparable to deals given to Kansas City running back Larry Johnson (five years, $43.2 million), Washington's Clinton Portis (eight years, $50.5 million) and San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson (six years, $60 million). The Cowboys, according to the sources, believe the deal that free agent running back Michael Turner signed with Atlanta in March (six years, $34.5 million with $15 million in guarantees) is close to what Barber is worth. Dallas is also willing to give Barber a contract close to what Baltimore gave Willis McGahee last year, a seven-year deal worth as much as $40.12 million, if the last two years of it are picked up. ...

Throw Portis contract out of this equation - and 8 year contract to a RB with his time in the league is most probably heavily backloaded to make it look large for ego purposes but is just a tool to spread the signing bonus across a large number of years (though I didn't research that & don't know it for a fact).

So Barber wants LT/LJ money, and DAL wants to pay him Turner/McGahee money? There's a very wide chasm beteen those two plateaus. If Barber is intent on playing hardball - and with Antichrist agent Drew Rosenhaus on board (remember what he did for Javon Walker in GB?) - I'm now am actually expecting a move that sends Barber packing with the 2 late first rounders for a pick in the top 3 on Saturday.

Keep your ears open...

Edited by Bronco Billy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sources: Marion Barber and Dallas Cowboys far apart on contract numbers

From Calvin Watkins at the DMN:

The Cowboys have held preliminary talks with the running back's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, according to multiple sources, and are offering a financial package in the $30 million range. Barber wants a package between $40 million and $60 million. [snip] Barber's asking price is comparable to deals given to Kansas City running back Larry Johnson (five years, $43.2 million), Washington's Clinton Portis (eight years, $50.5 million) and San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson (six years, $60 million). The Cowboys, according to the sources, believe the deal that free agent running back Michael Turner signed with Atlanta in March (six years, $34.5 million with $15 million in guarantees) is close to what Barber is worth. Dallas is also willing to give Barber a contract close to what Baltimore gave Willis McGahee last year, a seven-year deal worth as much as $40.12 million, if the last two years of it are picked up. ...

Throw Portis contract out of this equation - and 8 year contract to a RB with his time in the league is most probably heavily backloaded to make it look large for ego purposes but is just a tool to spread the signing bonus across a large number of years (though I didn't research that & don't know it for a fact).

So Barber wants LT/LJ money, and DAL wants to pay him Turner/McGahee money? There's a very wide chasm beteen those two plateaus. If Barber is intent on playing hardball - and with Antichrist agent Drew Rosenhaus on board (remember what he did for Javon Walker in GB?) - I'm now am actually expecting a move that sends Barber packing with the 2 late first rounders for a pick in the top 3 on Saturday.

Keep your ears open...

It will be a very interesting weekend coming up. But come on Drew Rosenhaus is no Antichrist by any stretch of anyone imagination. These players bodies are on the line every day. Some of them have had surgery on every part of their body almost and are still playing. We really don't know every injury. But the point is that. Players need to get paid when they can because when they are out of football. They have ailments to deal with for the rest of their life because they played the game we all love....football.

Edited by loyalboyd

I love Barber and hope we keep him. He isnt worth LT money and has a very bruising running style that may take its toll if he is carrying the full load. Barber and 2 # 1s for McFadden is way too much. I always tip my cap to Jerry Jones for helping the franchise turn things around and help in adding 3 rings but I certainly see his detrimental side that people often refer to as well. This move would show that side bigtime IMO. I think Barber does need a change of pace back though.

Edited by whomper

:wacko: i know nothing about the Cowboys and little about Barber ...but wasn't he lights out in the 1st half vs G-men playoff game and the 2nd half they shut his azs down bigtime.....he's never been on my radar and just seems to be another back.......not a LT or AP

:wacko: i know nothing about the Cowboys and little about Barber ...but wasn't he lights out in the 1st half vs G-men playoff game and the 2nd half they shut his azs down bigtime.....he's never been on my radar and just seems to be another back.......not a LT or AP

I disagree. I think Barber is a phenomenal back, and will prove it in the years to come. Does he deserve LT money, not yet, as he hasn't proven that is what he is worth yet. However, I love the way this guy runs the football.

I'm now am actually expecting a move that sends Barber packing with the 2 late first rounders for a pick in the top 3 on Saturday.

Well, first of all, none of the top three teams would make a deal like that. I also don't think the Raiders would take the deal -- Davis isn't much of a trade-down kinda guy, and there are too many prospects he likes at #4. That said, I also don't think the Raiders will be taking McFadden.

So, if it were to happen, I think the Cowboys would have to wait for the Chiefs, Jets, or Patriots to get on the clock. I doubt the Chiefs would bite, but they also probably wouldn't take McFadden. The main team Dallas would have to get in front of would be Cincinnati; I believe they'd snatch up McFadden in a heartbeat. And I could definitely see the Jets or Patriots agreeing to Dallas' terms. They both would like to trade down, and they could both use a RB like Barber.

Well, first of all, none of the top three teams would make a deal like that. I also don't think the Raiders would take the deal -- Davis isn't much of a trade-down kinda guy, and there are too many prospects he likes at #4. That said, I also don't think the Raiders will be taking McFadden.

So, if it were to happen, I think the Cowboys would have to wait for the Chiefs, Jets, or Patriots to get on the clock. I doubt the Chiefs would bite, but they also probably wouldn't take McFadden. The main team Dallas would have to get in front of would be Cincinnati; I believe they'd snatch up McFadden in a heartbeat. And I could definitely see the Jets or Patriots agreeing to Dallas' terms. They both would like to trade down, and they could both use a RB like Barber.

Tha Patriots would not pay tat kind of money to Barber, but I could see them making the deal and then moving Barber to another team on the flip.

Jerry has a year to make a deal with Barber. Sure He'd love to have him under contract going into this season, but he's in no huge hurry. Barber isn't worth LT money, and LJ isn't worth LJ money. Barber will get paid. He'll probably end up with a 6 year deal for around 45 million.

Jerry has a year to make a deal with Barber. Sure He'd love to have him under contract going into this season, but he's in no huge hurry. Barber isn't worth LT money, and LJ isn't worth LJ money. Barber will get paid. He'll probably end up with a 6 year deal for around 45 million.

You must have missed the entire Javon Walker fiasco in GB. How many years a player has left on their contract means little to nothing to Rosenhaus, and he's perfectly willing to have a player he thinks ought to be able to ignore their contract sit out for an extended time.

Won't happen.

Dallas owns the rights to Barber. Barber might have had a better bargaining position had a team (ANY other team) offered him a contract. That fact that no other team was interested in Barber at the going rate speaks volumes ... Barber is a great complement back, not the work horse.

At this point Barber's only recourse will be to sit the first 10 games ... which will cost him a large chunk of change AND won't get him the money and contract he wants next year either (from the Cowboys or any other team).

You must have missed the entire Javon Walker fiasco in GB. How many years a player has left on their contract means little to nothing to Rosenhaus, and he's perfectly willing to have a player he thinks ought to be able to ignore their contract sit out for an extended time.

Very true. As if any NFL owner feels the player is not living up to his contract and they can cut him. Its a double edge sword. Thats why I have no hard feelings when players do this. Because its only a matter of time before they can't make that type of money doing their craft. And a majority of the time their NFL careers are short lived.

Add Ocha Cinco to that list

Drew and Jerry get along though, where as Drew and some of the others don't. Drew is also T.O.'s and Flozell's agent as well. They will get a deal done. It will be higher than the $30 Million Jerry low balled, but it will not be over $40 Million unless it is more than 5 years long.

You need to do a little research on the legal concept of "contract".

I think you need to do the legal concept on contract. Because in the NBA a contract is paid period. Unless they come to an agreement to pay them to opt out of it. In NFL. Contract could be used for toilet tissue. Because if you under perform or are hurt, etc. They can just cut you and move on period. They don't do that in the NFL. So if you want the legal concept of contract go to the Owners of the NFL and tell them that. And maybe just maybe. The players won't keep asking for more money when they out perform their contract. Let yourself be in the NFL and your not performing up to pair for your say 100 million dollar contract what they do cut you. But lets say you are Marques Coleston per say. Out performing the contract the owners take their time in paying you. Meanwhile you are putting wear and tear on your body. You got one body. You can replace a pair of shoes a car or even a house. You can't replace your body you got one and only one.

Are you kidding me, Miami would take this deal in a second, if Dallas offered it. Miami wants out of that pick so bad, there have been rumors they may just pass until pick 4 or 5 to get the player they want, Vernon Gholston. I could see Miami making this deal, and taking players like Calais Campbell at 22, and Kenny Phillips at 28. Shore up an aging defensive unit, and have a great 1-2 punch with Brown and Barber. In round 2, they take Manningham, or Malcom Kelly or whichever WR drops in the draft. This is the best case scenerio for Miami. What does more for them, Campbell, Phillips, Barber or the #1 overall pick.

Will he have his father tell the press there is no way he'll play in Dallas(Green Bay)?

That was a real touch of class if it was his idea.

Are you kidding me, Miami would take this deal in a second, if Dallas offered it. Miami wants out of that pick so bad, there have been rumors they may just pass until pick 4 or 5 to get the player they want, Vernon Gholston. I could see Miami making this deal, and taking players like Calais Campbell at 22, and Kenny Phillips at 28. Shore up an aging defensive unit, and have a great 1-2 punch with Brown and Barber. In round 2, they take Manningham, or Malcom Kelly or whichever WR drops in the draft. This is the best case scenerio for Miami. What does more for them, Campbell, Phillips, Barber or the #1 overall pick.

Placing players names are always better. But it would be great to see that happen. The more the better for Miami.

I think you need to do the legal concept on contract.

I have. It's why I know that you don't understand the way the NFL works with its labor pool. I do know that you have regularly shown your lack of understanding by hijacking threads like this one to post your lack of understanding because of your feeling that NFL players get screwed over and it's "unfair".

Because in the NBA a contract is paid period.

This isn't the NBA. I'm not sure why you'd bring up a league that has shot itself in the foot and is now in almost total control by its players (much to its detriment), and also puts out an almost unwatchable product.

Unless they come to an agreement to pay them to opt out of it. In NFL. Contract could be used for toilet tissue. Because if you under perform or are hurt, etc. They can just cut you and move on period. They don't do that in the NFL. So if you want the legal concept of contract go to the Owners of the NFL and tell them that. And maybe just maybe. The players won't keep asking for more money when they out perform their contract. Let yourself be in the NFL and your not performing up to pair for your say 100 million dollar contract what they do cut you. But lets say you are Marques Coleston per say. Out performing the contract the owners take their time in paying you. Meanwhile you are putting wear and tear on your body. You got one body. You can replace a pair of shoes a car or even a house. You can't replace your body you got one and only one.

You continue to show your complete misunderstanding by completely ignoring the concept of the signing bonus, which is guaranteed money paid up front to players before they ever play a down for the team. Regardless of the player's performance, they get to keep the signing bonus (and now with the new extension to the CBA, teams can't even recover in the event of a player violating their contract with the team). You don't seem to have any concept that the players are bound by a contract they they willingly sign and accept the signing bonus. How often do you see players wanting to renegotiate their contract when they underperform? They don't. The team does and the only leverage they have is the ability to cut the player if they won't negotiate downward for poor performance. And even then, the signing bonus paid by the team is long gone and can never be recovered. Players accept the signing bonus as an offset that they are contracted to the team by the term of the contract. Teams pay the signing bonus because they are willing to accept its risk for the opportunity to have the player bound to the team for a set number of years - predetermined by a mutual agreement between the team and the player. That's mutually beneficial and fair despite your undereducated opinion on the matter.

And teams that want to cut players who have been injured have to reach an injury agreement with them to cut that player - in essence, they have to buy out the remainder of the contract, because the CBA doesn't allow for injured players with time left on their contacts to be cut without compensation.

I've asked you before, and I'll ask you again. Please get some kind of understanding of what you are talking about before you go off on these asides. I've tried to provide some information for you so that you can get up to speed on these matters in the past, and you repeatedly refuse to learn anything from it.

Why are you so steadfastly locked into a position that can't be rationally defended?

Edited by Bronco Billy

In theory, if the "perfect" players fell to them at those two spots, I might agree they'd be better off. But Campbell and Phillips? I'd take Jake Long over them in a heartbeat. And you're forgetting that most of the guaranteed money they'd be saving by trading down is the same money they'd have to give to Barber...when they already have a great starting RB, and a couple of good backups.

Miami would not do that deal, Sarge.

BB -- The correct answer is: Nobody should get "upset" in either situation. A player gets cut? I'm not crying for him. A player holds out? I'm not crying for the team or its owner.

EVERYthing is in the "contract" -- including the penalties incurred if a player holds out. So, in essence, nobody is violating the agreement. It's all factored into the financial decision-making.