[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Planning to quit my job next week

budlitebrad

Just got an offer from a private accounting firm, so I plan to give notice next week. The pay is slightly more, but I'm mainly doing it to get out of public accounting. I have a much bigger interest in private equity and hedge funds and this seems like a good place to start.

I've had this job since I graduated and before that I just interned, so I've never quit a serious job before. Should be a little awkward, but turnover has been common at my current firm.

Anyone have any previous experiences, good or bad?

It honestly does not need to be awkward. Turn in a letter of resignation. When they ask why (because regardless of what you write in the letter they will probably still ask), just tell them what you stated above. This is the career path you are really interested in. You appreciate your time there and all that you learned, but in order to do what you really want to do this is a move you need to make.

There's no blame and no discomfort in that. You can tell everyone how much you enjoyed working with or for them, and everyone gets to be happy. Except the 1 or 2 people that need to pick up the slack while the company drags it's feet on finding a replacement.

Out of curiousity, what do you mean by "private accounting firm"?

It's not a CPA firm that does financial statement audits, personal tax returns, or anything like that. They do back room accounting for private equity funds and other alternative investments.

It honestly does not need to be awkward. Turn in a letter of resignation. When they ask why (because regardless of what you write in the letter they will probably still ask), just tell them what you stated above. This is the career path you are really interested in. You appreciate your time there and all that you learned, but in order to do what you really want to do this is a move you need to make.

There's no blame and no discomfort in that. You can tell everyone how much you enjoyed working with or for them, and everyone gets to be happy. Except the 1 or 2 people that need to pick up the slack while the company drags it's feet on finding a replacement.

Well put, when I left my first and pretty much only job I went this route. They're now a pretty big client of mine.

Excellent advice.....

whatever you do don't burn any bridges- I am working at my 4th "real" company since I was a teenager- whenever I left my 3 other jobs (all on my terms thankfully) I made sure to do it the right way regardless of how I felt about anything- provide the letter of resignation, thank them for the opportunity, give them at least 2 weeks notice if you can, and offer to be as helpful as possible during the transition. There is no reason for you to feel awkward.

You never know when you may need a good reference, etc. and leaving on a positive note is the way to go. All of my previous employers have been most willing to help when it comes to putting in a good word for me-

Just got an offer from a private accounting firm, so I plan to give notice next week. The pay is slightly more, but I'm mainly doing it to get out of public accounting. I have a much bigger interest in private equity and hedge funds and this seems like a good place to start.

I've had this job since I graduated and before that I just interned, so I've never quit a serious job before. Should be a little awkward, but turnover has been common at my current firm.

Anyone have any previous experiences, good or bad?

Unless you are blazing a path to partner with your first job right out of college, its good to change jobs about every 5 years or so *assuming* you're upgrading your compensation, the desirability of your work, upward mobility, etc. Breadth of experience is a good thing. Just don't bounce around every 2 years or so, otherwise people will likely assume negative things about your ability to keep a job.

The primary downside I can see to going to a private accounting firm is that you could fall into a narrow niche pretty easily. While that does allow you to specialize your skill set, that usually comes at the expense of being exposed to a variety of clients and work experiences. I'm not sure how long ago you graduated; that would be a factor in my advice.

I'm former Arther Andersen, so I understand all to well the desire to move on from public accounting. But I've also seen a number of accountants I know go to smallish private firms only to have their careers become stagnant. For some folks, that's cool because they want to place a heavy emphasis on family and matters outside of work. But if you're a "go getter" who wants to turbo charge your career I'd be very careful to vet this new firm to make sure you're going to get exposure to sophisticated work and be presented with opportunities to advance. If the work experience isn't very portable to other jobs, that'd be a risk factor you'll have to carefully weigh.

Edited by yo mama

One of the first times that I told my boss that I was leaving, he made an effort to let me know that it wasn't going to bother him a bit. About a year later he wanted to hire me back and took me to a bar for plenty of free drinks. I told him I'd need a little time to decide. He called me early the next day when I was kind feeling like this ---> :wacko: Of course I said I'd come back.

Good luck Budlitebrad in your career move.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to push it back a little, but tomorrow is the day.

I appreciate all the advice. While my boss will probably be surprised, I'm sure everything will go fine. :wacko:

Now I just need to get a box to pack up my nameplate and office plant like you always see in the movies.

I had 15 years with 3 regional / international (E&W / E&Y) firms - 5 years each, then went "private" as CFO/Treas. for a conglomerate construction co.

Was there for 9 years, now back in "public" for the past 6 years - primarily serving construction clients and having a real blast!

Public is always something you can return to - don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy the change.

Good luck! :wacko:

I appreciate all the advice. While my boss will probably be surprised, I'm sure everything will go fine. :wacko:

Now I just need to get a box to pack up my nameplate and office plant like you always see in the movies.

Make sure to snag plenty of Bic pens and Post-it notes....never can have enough of those.

And make sure you tell your boss that his sexual undertones towards you just made you feel too uncomfortable to continue working there. He'll get a big kick out of that.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

...well...

How'd it go?