[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

War - Russia invades Georgia

CaP'N GRuNGe

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big John and Atlanta Cracker can't hold off the commies forever!! We gotta get in there.

I'm on my front porch with my hound dog and my 7mag, just waitin for them commies to come rolling down my street.

I've got an extra jar of white lightnin waiting for you when you get here.

Should I be worried that I live in Florida? I mean, Im in Tampa, but still, Georgia is pretty close. I dont want no stinkin Russians invading!!

I guess the Cubans and Puerto Ricans are ok though?

From Yahoo:

DZHAVA, Georgia - Russia sent columns of tanks and reportedly bombed Georgian air bases Friday after Georgia launched a major military offensive Friday to retake the breakaway province of South Ossetia, threatening to ignite a broader conflict.

Run that by me again about how the Russians started this? Didn't we support Kosovo in exactly the same situation against Serbia?

Hey,

Do you go and watch a lot of high school football during the season?

Not too much. My bosses son was in the same class as Stafford and he was in the scool band so I went with him to a bunch of Highland Park games. We live in Lake Highlands and have attended afew for the fun of it.

From Politico:

The candidates on Georgia

The candidates take strikingly different lines on Georgia, with McCain condemning the Russian "invasion of Georgia," as the headline of his statement read, and Obama — like the White House — calling for restraint from both sides.

As an editor points out, early reports suggest that Georgia — not Russia — first escalated the conflict, sending its troops into the disputed region after border skirmishes. So McCain's casting Russia's move as an invasion flows from his hard-line stance on the conflict in the first place, which is that South Ossetia belongs to Georgia, and that Russia has no right to meddle, even when Georgia sends in the tanks.

Obama seems to take a similar line, saying "Georgia's territorial integrity must be respected," but there's a clear difference in the two candidates' reaction to a serious foreign policy challenge here. This conflict is an echo of the Cold War, and the two are in postures familiar from that era: McCain thinks the Russians will respond only to strength and threats; Obama puts more stock in diplomacy and nuance.

By Ben Smith 12:13 PM

From Yahoo:

Run that by me again about how the Russians started this? Didn't we support Kosovo in exactly the same situation against Serbia?

it's not quite that simple. according to the UN and every member state, south ossetia is part of georgia. in any case, it's certainly not part of russia, so as far as any hostilities between russia and georgia, I think you'd probably have to say russia DID start it.

it's not quite that simple. according to the UN and every member state, south ossetia is part of georgia. in any case, it's certainly not part of russia, so as far as any hostilities between russia and georgia, I think you'd probably have to say russia DID start it.

I wouldn't have to say any such thing. Georgia sent tanks into the breakaway province of South Ossetia first. There is a near-perfect parallel here between Bosnia and Serbia or Kosovo and Serbia.