[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are you better off then 8 years ago?

SuperCharger

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2008/08/...an-8-years-ago/

This is a very microscopic way of determining whether America has progressed or digressed as a country over the Bush Jr. presidency but it let's us view things on a very personal level.

Over the last 8 years my salary has increased just over double.

I have only had two jobs and left the first on my own will.

I have purchased two homes.

I have increased my credit score by over 75 points.

I have had three children.

All in all I'd say the answer for me is Yes.

I'm interested to see how the last 8 years have effected others personally and do you think you are in a better postion or worse position than 8 years ago.

NOTE : This is not a Pro or Anti Bush thread. I personnally don't think he was a very good president and I didn't vote for him in either election.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this 'are you better off' question is one of those age old election year questions.

For my household, the answer is a resounding NO. We're rebounding now that I'm working full time, but we took a pretty big hit when my husband was laid off after 18 years at his company. Luckily, we had the resources in hand to weather it frugally. I know lots of other folks have had it much harder.

Ask me again when I have to pay $5.00 gallon for heating oil this winter. That's more than DOUBLE last winter, which was at least 25% more than the year before that. :wacko:

August, 2000: Married, one kid, making "X / yr", co-owned a house (with the bank), a few friends, live far from family

August 2008: Married to the same lady, three kids (#4 is coming), making "approximately 2X", co-owned a better house (with the bank), more and better friends, live very near family

Better off = yes (but, like YoMama said, it had little to do with whatever happens in DC)

There's also the relativity of things. I'd be willing to wager that those who will answer positively probably went from their 20's to 30's during this past eight years...which means of course you'll be doing better as long as you're competent in the workplace. It's inevitable you'll be pulling in more $ (if that's how you gauge 'better off') than you did fresh out of school.

How much is because and how much 'in spite of' and how much better do you think you could have done?

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2008/08/...an-8-years-ago/

This is a very microscopic way of determining whether America has progressed or digressed as a country over the Bush Jr. presidency but it let's us view things on a very personal level.

Over the last 8 years my salary has increased just over double.

I have only had two jobs and left the first on my own will.

I have purchased two homes.

I have increased my credit score by over 75 points.

I have had three children.

All in all I'd say the answer for me is Yes.

I'm interested to see how the last 8 years have effected others personally and do you think you are in a better postion or worse position than 8 years ago.

NOTE : This is not a Pro or Anti Bush thread. I personnally don't think he was a very good president and I didn't vote for him in either election.

I will say YES but that is only because I met my wife during that time

otherwise...

I am making about 1/3 of what I was making back in 2000

I had to close my business

In 2000 I had 2 cars a 1997 and a 2000(MR2 Convertible)

In 2008 we have 2 cars a 1992 and a 1995

Edited by keggerz

Yeah, eight years ago I was a junior in college, eating ramen and hoping my POS car didn't die. Now I make decent money, own a small starter home and have a 2003 car that I just paid off.

But, I'm not making as much as I should at this point in my career. The Metro Detroit engineering firm I work for is struggling; no raises for the foreseeable future. I don't want to move to another firm in town, I've know people that have done it and been laid off 6 months later. At least at my current firm I know they really want to keep me, and they don't like laying people off. Oh yeah, and I can't move out of state for a better job because it's impossible to sell a home in my area. So yeah, Michigan and our 8%+ unemployment rate isn't too hot right now.

Still with the same company. Three promotions (which owe nothing to the gubment) make me monetarily very sound indeed. 401k is worth about what it was worth a decade ago. Retirement still on the cards in 9 years time but looking shakier than it was. Kids departed to lead their own lives so that immediately increased net worth.

Sure, I'm better off but that's due to my effort and the natural progressions of life.

Yeah, eight years ago I was a junior in college, eating ramen and hoping my POS car didn't die. Now I make decent money, own a small starter home and have a 2003 car that I just paid off.

But, I'm not making as much as I should at this point in my career. The Metro Detroit engineering firm I work for is struggling; no raises for the foreseeable future. I don't want to move to another firm in town, I've know people that have done it and been laid off 6 months later. At least at my current firm I know they really want to keep me, and they don't like laying people off. Oh yeah, and I can't move out of state for a better job because it's impossible to sell a home in my area. So yeah, Michigan and our 8%+ unemployment rate isn't too hot right now.

If your engineering field is civil, you want to make 120k, and dont mind travelling let me know.

Like many have said I don't attribute the success I've had the past 8 years to the government. For the most part it's a combination of hard work and fortunate opportunities. Having just turned 31 the last 8 years were for the most part my mid-late 20's and probably the most dynamic era of anybody's life.

I'm a firm believer that the President has little to no affect on one's personal success or failure.

Here's to the next 8 years, regardless of who gets elected. :wacko: