[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Home Security

whoopazz

Just found out a neighbor of ours (and my daughters boyfriends family) got robbed today in broad daylight. Completely ransacked every room in the home and stole all electronics and jewelry etc. We live in your typical generic suburban neighborhood. No crime :wacko: lots of kids, friendly folks, you know the routine. However, we are easy targets for the thieving bastages as we learned today. So, I'm considering some security system of some sort. Anyone have any advice?

ETA, I can protect the home handily while I am here with sufficient firepower. I'm concerned about the empty house (and our dog is a wimp).

The robber doesn't know your dog is a wimp. They say that is the number one deterrant because, given the choice, a robber will go to the house without a dog.

Otherwise, get a security sign. Just as effective without the cost. :wacko:

We have an 70# male boxer with a bark that will put chills down your back. We have an alarm system that notifies local law enforcement. We also have two shotguns, two rifles, and a pistol. Everyone in my family knows how to shoot, including my little girls. We also have a cute little metal sign my wife got at a flea market that has a gun painted on it an underneath the gun it says "We Don't Call 911, We Just Get a Shovel." I live in Texas so anyone that breaks in knows that we can pretty much kill them with impunity.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

The best Home Security is good insurance coverage.

No offense, but this is a dumb statement. Insurance coverage does nothing preventative. Security systems and other security measures do.

Go ahead and put a sign up that says "we have great insurance". See what that does. :wacko:

We're thinking of getting a security system. It's actually rather affordable, and would give us a discount on our already-strong insurance coverage.

No offense, but this is a dumb statement. Insurance coverage does nothing preventative. Security systems and other security measures do.

Go ahead and put a sign up that says "we have great insurance". See what that does. :wacko:

We're thinking of getting a security system. It's actually rather affordable, and would give us a discount on our already-strong insurance coverage.

I don't buy that a security system is a deterant. A couple of rather large and visible dogs may be a deterant but not a security system. If you want to secure your belongings it's best to start with a good insurance policy.

I don't buy that a security system is a deterant. A couple of rather large and visible dogs may be a deterant but not a security system. If you want to secure your belongings it's best to start with a good insurance policy.

If as a deterrent you mean it won't keep them from trying to kick a door in, I agree to a point. A pro MIGHT be ready and willing to try to defeat it more than an amateur who might see the sign and walk away for an easier mark. Kids (Punks) f'd up on some drug couldn't care less and there's a good reason why our prisons are so full. I prefer a dog, and as anyone who has been to my house, (Sky, Bier, Gil, wiegie, et al) Nilly, though a pain in the ass sometimes is a very good deterrent, but... I don't want her defending me (when workmen come over we have to make sure she is locked up), but it's the role she has taken. Hershey, my previous dog had a bark and a 120# presence that would make you crap your pants and run (just ask a Green Peace rep that put his foot in the door, at nite, when I was away! :wacko:), but all he would REALLY do is lick you and con you into giving him a cookie! :D In other words they both served the same purpose.

I live in a small burb (2nd smallest in the county that has a low crime rate anyway) with the second smallest crime rate county wide. BUT, if I were away a lot, I'd get a security system just because it can give an immediate reply to the cops/FD/ whatever if the wife hits the panic button. BUT the wife has to understand it and know how to use it. My lovely, but 19th century wife would prolly never figger it out. :D

Bottom line...as long as it happens when no one is home... Good Insurance is the best thing to have. And have read, most burglars don't want you home either.

The best Home Security is good insurance coverage.

You went easy on him....it is about as Stupid and Idiotic a statement that can be made with regards to protecting your "valuable belongings"

There are MANY things that if stolen can't be replaced no matter how big/great/fantastic an insurance policy you have.

My dads house was broken into about a month after my grandfather died.....out of all the stuff that was taken you know what

hurt my dad the most to lose...a Tie Tac that my grandfather wore to church for probably over 50 years....an old cheap seiko that my grandfather wore and there are some other items that most people would consider small or worthless but they were my grandfathers and were irreplaceable...including the jewelery box that they stole that had the stuff in it....yep he made the jewelry box too.

Edited by keggerz

I hope I never find out but . . . when the siren in my basement goes off, the neighbors come out to look, and the police show up in about 5 minutes, . . . it may not deter the thief from breaking in but I think it will deter them from hanging around very long.

My dads house was broken into about a month after my grandfather died.....out of all the stuff that was taken you know what

hurt my dad the most to lose...a Tie Tac that my grandfather wore to church for probably over 50 years....an old cheap seiko that my grandfather wore and there are some other items that most people would consider small or worthless but they were my grandfathers and were irreplaceable...including the jewelery box that they stole that had the stuff in it....yep he made the jewelry box too.

Very true, keg, but this is also something none of us can insure or assure against these bastages.

We have very few things like that, (no jewelry, coins, wathches, etc,..) but our photos are priceless. From my grandma's photos (mom's side circa 1910, Dad's side ~1914, on the wife's side pre1900!!) if destroyed/stolen I would be looking to cut off the balls of the jackass that did it! Irreplaceable!

Just found out a neighbor of ours (and my daughters boyfriends family) got robbed today in broad daylight. Completely ransacked every room in the home and stole all electronics and jewelry etc. We live in your typical generic suburban neighborhood. No crime :wacko: lots of kids, friendly folks, you know the routine. However, we are easy targets for the thieving bastages as we learned today. So, I'm considering some security system of some sort. Anyone have any advice?

ETA, I can protect the home handily while I am here with sufficient firepower. I'm concerned about the empty house (and our dog is a wimp).

I can almost guarantee you that the people who robbed your daughter's boyfriends, parent's, cousin's college's roommate's next door neighbor's house were not high pros but a smash and grabbed kind of lot. I'm not sure where you live exactly but i'm pretty sure i know how their house got targeted, people walking through your nice quiet neighborhood during a work week, knocking on doors and pretending to either be selling or collecting, or offering something. When they found a house with no bark or answer, it is around to the back for a quick B&E.

I wouldn't worry too much about it but i do not suggesting getting any kind of alarm system that is wireless. For $30 anyone can go to radio shack and make a wireless video monitor to pick up your system and case out the inside of your house by parking down the street. You can go to any lowes or home depot and get those very cheap but highly effective sensors that are like $2 a piece and you stick one on one side of a window or door, and the other on the other side. That magnet breaks between then and a very high pitch noise goes off.

I can almost guarantee you that the people who robbed your daughter's boyfriends, parent's, cousin's college's roommate's next door neighbor's house were not high pros but a smash and grabbed kind of lot. I'm not sure where you live exactly but i'm pretty sure i know how their house got targeted, people walking through your nice quiet neighborhood during a work week, knocking on doors and pretending to either be selling or collecting, or offering something. When they found a house with no bark or answer, it is around to the back for a quick B&E.

I wouldn't worry too much about it but i do not suggesting getting any kind of alarm system that is wireless. For $30 anyone can go to radio shack and make a wireless video monitor to pick up your system and case out the inside of your house by parking down the street. You can go to any lowes or home depot and get those very cheap but highly effective sensors that are like $2 a piece and you stick one on one side of a window or door, and the other on the other side. That magnet breaks between then and a very high pitch noise goes off.

The cops say they go around soliciting lawn care or gutter cleaning or something. Three or four consecutive houses with no answer or barking, and they go for it. Our neighborhood has large lots (mine is .75 acre) with lots of trees, and people are trusting (including myself, until now). As the areas grows (Wake Forest, NC), these pricks will increase this tactic. As I said, I can take care of us when I'm here, but looking for advice on what works best for an empty house when no one is home. We have good insurance as do our friends, but as you can imagine they are still very upset by the violation and loss of property. As far as I know, they have not lost any "non replacable" things like photos or heirlooms thank god. I saw them tonight at the high school game and commented that I was surprised to see them and they responded, "we won't them take this from us too". Good people.

You went easy on him....it is about as Stupid and Idiotic a statement that can be made with regards to protecting your "valuable belongings"

There are MANY things that if stolen can't be replaced no matter how big/great/fantastic an insurance policy you have.

An Alarm System is not preventing any break-ins. I stand by my statement. If things can't be replaced maybe they should be secured in a safe deposit box.

Alarm systems are a deterrent. Just like locking your doors is a deterrent. Doesn't mean they can't and won't rob you though.

We've got the monitored alarm and an English Bulldog that is all bark and no bite. The alarm system gives me peace of mind. I know that if a window pane breaks, window opens, door opens, or motion detector goes off, the alarm will give me enough time to grab my shi*t and start shooting.

And if they want to break in while we're not here, have at it. Cops should arrive within several minutes so they better be quick.

The cops say they go around soliciting lawn care or gutter cleaning or something. Three or four consecutive houses with no answer or barking, and they go for it. Our neighborhood has large lots (mine is .75 acre) with lots of trees, and people are trusting (including myself, until now). As the areas grows (Wake Forest, NC), these pricks will increase this tactic. As I said, I can take care of us when I'm here, but looking for advice on what works best for an empty house when no one is home. We have good insurance as do our friends, but as you can imagine they are still very upset by the violation and loss of property. As far as I know, they have not lost any "non replacable" things like photos or heirlooms thank god. I saw them tonight at the high school game and commented that I was surprised to see them and they responded, "we won't them take this from us too". Good people.

Sounds like your neighbors are already plenty secure. For all the bravado here, I think the most important aspect was no one got hurt or killed. As much fun as it might be to imagine putting a load of 00 into a thieve's backside, until you've been in the situation, just thank God you haven't. In fact, thank God for a lot of stuff.

I have Brinks - the whole house is wired.

I live in a safe area but if it puts my wifes mind at ease when I'm out of town then so be it. I can't offer much advice on installation because it was already there when we bought the house.

Edited by twiley