[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gas Panic

Vote Quimby2

So the pumps around town have hit $5.00 bucks. Hope you filled up this morning.

my wife got the following email from a lady she works with today:

Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 9:46 AM

To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Subject: Gas

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I spoke to my husband who’s been on the phone with Shell Corporate this morning and here’s what going on:

Due to the last 3 hurricanes in the Gulf, the drilling platforms have been interrupted by power outages and evacuations. As a result, Oil providers are initiating an allocation to vendors. Gas stations could very likely begin running out over the next week or even few days.

Prices could approach the $4.00 pg mark by the end of the day today and could get close to $5.00 before this is all over, depending on how Ike behaves. So, best fill up at lunch and please remember to be patient and nice to the folks working at the gas stations……this is hurts them too.

Happy Friday!

I am not really sure what her husband has to do within the industry but to be honest I dont think i needed to be told that we would be paying more because of the hurricanes either

On the way to dinner tonight, there was a station with gas at $4.99. There was another one at $4.29. The rest were in the $3.90s. Every (about five or six) gas station had a line at least 20 cars long. Two stations had longer lines. By the time we went home, the $4.99 station was back down to $4.29. All the gas stations still had lines.

People often screem about gouging, but the majority of gas stations are independent. Sure they sell a brand, but they are independently owned. The area most affected by Ike refines 20% of the Gas in the US. While oil prices may be down, the likely disruption in supply is pushing up demand. It also scares the crap out of the independent gas station owners, becuase they have the same overhead costs whether or not they have gas to sell or not. Is it really any wonder these people are trying to protect themselves for a probable disruption in their income?

My mother just called and said that my brother heard from his boss a report that somewhere in lower Michigan gas was $5+/gallon and that I needed to go fill up right now before it hits hear. I said the polite equivalent of "OK, whatever", explained that it was FUD like this that contributes to the problem, and hung up. Sure it's possible, but I don't see a justifiable need for a 20% increase in price over what could have happen. If indeed prices jumped 20%, I would expect to see many states attorney generals in full gear.

Even if gas prices did raise that high, rushing out to fill up now saves the equivalent of a few bucks. Most people fill up at least once a week I'd imagine and if prices did jump 20% in a single day, and it was a legitimate increase, do you think that they are going to go back down just as quickly? No. They will fall over the next several weeks so you're still going to be hit by the higher prices sooner or later.

how many people are going to stop at his station when he has not gas to sell? is he going to have to pay taxes on that property while he has no gas to sell? Is he going to have to pay his utility bills when there is no gas to sell? What about the guy that works there? I can certainly understand why an independent owner would want to try to hike the price up to cover for when he has no customers because he has no gas to sell.

how many people are going to stop at his station when he has not gas to sell? is he going to have to pay taxes on that property while he has no gas to sell? Is he going to have to pay his utility bills when there is no gas to sell? What about the guy that works there? I can certainly understand why an independent owner would want to try to hike the price up to cover for when he has no customers because he has no gas to sell.

I agree. But it still looks like he's taking advantage of the situation.