[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Turkey Day - Game on the move?

FWmaker

Forgive me if this was posted already, but I just read the following giblet on FBG:

"The Lions are in jeopardy of losing their tradition of hosting a Thanksgiving Day game. One high-ranking NFL executive guessed this weekend that the issue "will be reviewed at the March league meetings...could go either way." His statement would be consistent with the numerous people that have called for the NFL to take away the Thanksgiving game from the Lions, who have been blown out in five straight games on Thanksgiving. It doesn't mean it will happen. But it seems almost certain the league is going to review the issue and decide what it is in the best interests of the NFL."

I'd make them sign a legit GM and HC if they want to be a T-day team. I like tradition and like the Lions hosting this game.

I'd kick the Cowboys off for thinking they are Americas Team. :wacko:

Maybe Green Bay could take over. I heard that Rodgers kid is gonna light up the league; he's gonna be much better than Favre in that spread offense.

I know DET is lame and all but considering how few traditions stay intact these days I say keep it. Or if you're going to do that then get rid of the Cowpukes too and just rotate around. Last thing I want to see after eating is them.

Maybe Green Bay could take over. I heard that Rodgers kid is gonna light up the league; he's gonna be much better than Favre in that spread offense.

He is better. It's the rest of the team that's taken a crap.

I think the Lions should keep the game. It's tradition. And nothing makes me happier than seeing the Lions get destroyed in front of a national audience. It's like an early Christmas present.

considering how few traditions stay intact these days I say keep it.

+1

I remember many Thanksgivings' eating turkey, having some pops, and watching Barry Sanders do his thing. The Leon Lett Thanksgiving Day blunder is one we still laugh about today. Not having those memories would ahve been a shame.

Besides, they'd have to schedule the game far in advance during the offseason...like this past Monday's Houston-Jax game was, which was a dud.....there is no guarantee that any other game will be better or worse than the Lions, so may as well go with tradition and ride out their ineptness.

Changing for change's sake is worthless....

They did play each other a lot in the 50's and 60's. Is anyone assuming Detroit won't be competitive? This year they sucked but most years they are in the game.

I like Green Bay playing Detroit every year.

If DET isn't playing as the only game during a time slot, then who in the hell is going to watch them?

Seriously, being raised with a GB/DET game every Thanksgiving, I was extremely disappointed that GB was pulled from the schedule and substitued with any DET game. I also understand the business aspect and why the NFL wants to change the game. DET just hasn't been competitive in a long long time - but if there is a truth, it's that if there is an NFL game on, it will draw a decent rating.

I'd prefer to see the league stick with tradition.

If DET isn't playing as the only game during a time slot, then who in the hell is going to watch them?

Seriously, being raised with a GB/DET game every Thanksgiving, I was extremely disappointed that GB was pulled from the schedule and substitued with any DET game. I also understand the business aspect and why the NFL wants to change the game.

It also had to with the Packers objecting to the yearly disadvantage of having a road game on a short week.

rotate the games. or maybe do it how they pull some teams from the other nat'l televised games.

Not sure you could do that.

Currently, the "flex schedule" allows teams that were schedule to play during the day on Sunday to play the Sunday-night game. No real change in anything other than start-time. But to tell a team (on 2-3 weeks notice) that they are playing on 3-days rest might be a stretch. Let alone telling their fanbase that they now have tickets to a game on Thanksgiving with very little time to plan around it.

They can't take it away from the Lions and not the Cowboys IMO

I hear the tradition comment, but if you rotate it, then every team can enjoy the experience once in a while. Why should Denver never get to play in Denver on T-day?

They will with the new 3 game format. Once every 30 years :wacko:

Well unlike baseball, which hallows its roots, the NFL actively moves to stomp out anyone's memory of the league's existence prior to Bill Walsh, so I knew this would come eventually. Now we'll get a rotating matchup of surefire excellent games, just like they always have on Monday Night Football. :wacko:

Peace

policy

They should move Thanksgiving to a Sunday.

I guess they could change the holiday but Lincoln set it and I can't see it changed. FDR did change it to the 3rd thursday, but it was set back to the 4th later.

I like keeping that day for the holiday.

watching the Lions get blown out each year is no different than watching Dallas beat up on some patsy which seems to happen an awful lot too.

At the very least I'd say they should make a rule that both games have to be divisional match-ups. That way Dallas has to play Philly, DC, or NYG, and Detroit would get GB, CHI, or MIN. Even if the teams suck during any given year, the games will likely be more interesting to watch.

Just keep the stupid game. In 20 years when Detroit has been on a five year playoff run, it won't look like such a disaster. This is football, and it is fluid and cyclical. The Lions can't always be this bad. I know, I know, it's 2008, and we want change faster and faster, and we don't want to have patience for anything, let alone the Detroit Lions, but leave the tradition alone. Playing the game in Detroit is a much longer standing tradition than playing one in Dallas. The Detroit thanksgiving day game is becoming one of America's longest standing traditions, football or not.

watching the Lions get blown out each year is no different than watching Dallas beat up on some patsy which seems to happen an awful lot too.

At the very least I'd say they should make a rule that both games have to be divisional match-ups. That way Dallas has to play Philly, DC, or NYG, and Detroit would get GB, CHI, or MIN. Even if the teams suck during any given year, the games will likely be more interesting to watch.

There is the TV contract issue there. The conference of the visiting team is the factor of whether the game is on CBS or Fox, so there has to be an AFC team in one of the games so CBS gets one of them, and it alternates almost every year (1990 being the exception) between DET and DAL hosting an AFC team.

+1

I remember many Thanksgivings' eating turkey, having some pops, and watching Barry Sanders do his thing. The Leon Lett Thanksgiving Day blunder is one we still laugh about today. Not having those memories would ahve been a shame.

Besides, they'd have to schedule the game far in advance during the offseason...like this past Monday's Houston-Jax game was, which was a dud.....there is no guarantee that any other game will be better or worse than the Lions, so may as well go with tradition and ride out their ineptness.

Changing for change's sake is worthless....

Wait a minute are we talking about the Thanksgiving Day game or our past election? Just saying.... :wacko:

KO'd

:wacko:

Seriously, are you completely deranged?

I was kidding.

I like the idea of rotating the teams every year. I don't care for having to put up with Dallas and Detroit every Thanksgiving.

If were up to me, I'd have the two Superbowl participants from the previous year host the Thanksgiving day games against non-conference opponents. So, for example, this year the Patriots would host an NFC team on FOX, and the Giants would host an AFC team on CBS. The two Superbowl teams are rewarded by getting to host a game on a shortened week, and you have them play non-conference opponents in order to minimize any tie-breaking implications.

Edited by Vet