[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Snow Blower/Thrower

MrTed46

I am going to purchase a snow blower/thrower for my property. I do not know ANYTHING about these things. Anyone care to help?

I am doing some research now. Which brand is usually good? gas or electric?

My property is not big by anymeans but I want somethign that can handle anything.

I am going to purchase a snow blower/thrower for my property. I do not know ANYTHING about these things. Anyone care to help?

I am doing some research now. Which brand is usually good? gas or electric?

My property is not big by anymeans but I want somethign that can handle anything.

:wacko: Is it a good idea to have a giant electrical appliance next to you while you're standing in a bunch of frozen water that could melt as you're using it?

I think I would go with a two-stage. (I have a single stage that I bought from the people who sold me my house. it is adequate for light and fluffy snow up to about 6 inches, but for heavy, wet snow or high snow it is sort of a pain. Some of my neighbor's have two-stage blowers and they seem to kick ass)

:wacko: Is it a good idea to have a giant electrical appliance next to you while you're standing in a bunch of frozen water that could melt as you're using it?

I think he was referring to the starter. In the cold weather, the electric starter works a lot better than the pull starter.

is Craftsman anygood?

I've had mine for 2 years now and can't complain about it. It has the option of electric or manual start, and when we get the heavy, wet snow here it goes right through it. I can't remember the model off the top of my head, but I'll look it up when I get home tonight and let you know if interested.

i would buy used and just keep it serviced every season. i mean how many times do you really use it a year to buy a brand new one. i have a toro that is 15y old and still works like a charm.

i'd be using it quite a bit... prob 3-4 times a week (we have a 6-7 month winter)

Definitely two stage. The more horsepower the better. I am not good with cc converted to horsepower in those little motors, but at least 8 - 10 horsepower.

Electric start is a must, even if you just plug it into an outlet to start it. When you are all bundled up to go out, it sucks to have to pull start it.

Edited by Rebellab

I used a Toro Power Curve 6.5 HP single stage. I live in Michigan, so we pretty good snowfalls. It was powerful enought to handle them, and the rubber blade cleaned down to the pavement.

Unless you live in Duluth, you probably don't need a double stage.

I have a Honda 1132TS. Other than a few problems I have had with it throwing shear pins more often than I would like, it has been a rock for 8 years. And shear pins are like a $1.40 each, so 2-3 per season is not a big deal.

It's an expensive unit, but it will eat anything in terms of snow and ice.

In a snow thrower, some kind of a serrated edge on the auger is key for breaking icy plow mounds, and horsepower is king. The more the horsepower, the better the unit is going to handle tough jobs. Buy as much horsepower as you feel like you can get with your budget, considering that you might not need a 11 or 13 horse snowthrower depending on where you live.

Tracks really aren't necessary unless your driveway has a decent grade to it.

Also, recommendations that have been made on engines here in the past hold true. Honda, Kawasaki, and Subaru engines are pobably going to give the least amount of trouble. Kohler is deccent, too.

The Briggs and Stratton are hit or miss. You could get a good one, or you could get one that gives you many years of headaches.

Living in New England, I have never regretted spending the $ on the Honda. Depending on where you are, your needs could not be as great for a big honkin' machine. It's definitely a "Handle Anything" unit.

I'm probably going to buy this craftsman

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...ame=&mv=cmp

Does anyone know how much HP is 179cc?

depends

you can figure it out yourself with the following info

The formula is: (Torque x Engine speed) / 5,252 = Horsepower

Edited by keggerz

Before you buy, I would seriously start doing some research about which engines do the best job of burning blends of ethanol. Sorry I don't have the answer to that question for you, but it's one that I will be searching for as well.

Before you buy, I would seriously start doing some research about which engines do the best job of burning blends of ethanol. Sorry I don't have the answer to that question for you, but it's one that I will be searching for as well.

Why does this concern you?

Are you saying that an otherwise reliable 4 stroke motor might become less reliable because the fuel has 10% ethanol, or something like that?

Not being argumentative, as I have no information either way....just curious. I would think that engine reliability in general would be a greater concern, but it does not seem to be so to MrTed. Craftsman comes with Briggs standard IIRC, and they tend to be regarded as the least reliable* engines for yard equipment of the commonly used engine MFRs.

*Not saying unreliable, just that there is a greater instance of issues compared to other MFR's. I went with Honda because in a big storm I wanted to have the least chance of having a mechanical problem.