[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting a chihuahua...

Puddy

Well for some reason Mrs. Puddy has gotten the urge to get a puppy. She had her heart set on a small dog and found a chihuahua online that she fell in love with. I basically know nothing about these dogs (are they even considered dogs? I mean my cat will tower over the thing). Well we drive almost two hours to the breeder a couple of days before Christmas. My wife really likes the little girl but she is still a week or two from coming home. Problem is that there was this little black and white chihuahua that I thought was just perfect. She had a ton of 'spunk' and personality. She was already 12 weeks old and I really hoped I could get my wife to change her mind but no luck.

Now I'm actually considering buying both. Am I nuts? We haven't had a dog in 14 years.

The one I want is at the top here.

Anyone with experience with these dogs. Is it a good idea to have more than one?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a lot of work. We went to a breeder the day after Christmas 3 years ago intent on getting 1 Golden retriever/Standard Poodle. We wanted a female. They put us in the room with the 2 females they had from the litter and we took them both. We love them both dearly and would never give one back but there were a lot of times early on where we were like "What the F did we do ?"

The positives are the dogs always have a companion when you arent home and once they are trained it is fun to have 2 to play with. They are small so it may be a little easier than mine were. Sometimes having 2 dogs they pay more attention to each other than your family though. It is important to have individual time with each dog.

I wish you luck. They will bring joy to the house for sure but be prepared for some work , poop scoopin and chewin. Post some pictures when you get them home.

They are a very nervous breed and afraid of everything. They are afraid of their own shadow. They express it by lunging and barking at everything they see, or hiding and shaking.

Probably there are more bites from Chi's than any other breed but it doesn't make for headline news.

A generalization of course but accurate description for every Chi I have ever met. JMHO Oh and their teeth start falling out at a year old and they are usually toothless by about 5 years of age unless you brush them everyday.

They are a very nervous breed and afraid of everything. They are afraid of their own shadow. They express it by lunging and barking at everything they see, or hiding and shaking.

Probably there are more bites from Chi's than any other breed but it doesn't make for headline news.

A generalization of course but accurate description for every Chi I have ever met. JMHO Oh and their teeth start falling out at a year old and they are usually toothless by about 5 years of age unless you brush them everyday.

Well, that's a buzzkill. I was at a friends last night who has two as well and one was VERY skittish while the other was as outgoing as can be.

As far as the teeth, that is disheartening. However, my wife has already told me she plans on brushing their teeth everyday from the get-go (she is in school to be a dental hygienist so this may work).

If that price of $600 is accurate then yeah, you're out of your f*cking mind. Go down to the Humane Society and adopt one for about $50.

You're welcome.

gotta plus one here. Just be warned, there's a very slim chance that the mutt you get might, just might be as whacked out as a pure bred chihuahua. Of course, it won't lose its teeth in 5 years either. So if you can tolerate a dog that is likely healthier and less manic for less money, you might consider a mutt.

gotta plus one here. Just be warned, there's a very slim chance that the mutt you get might, just might be as whacked out as a pure bred chihuahua. Of course, it won't lose its teeth in 5 years either. So if you can tolerate a dog that is likely healthier and less manic for less money, you might consider a mutt.

I will never own any dog but a mutt. Inbred dogs are as crazy as inbred people. I also will never get a dog except through the pound/humane society. Get yourself a nice lab/shepherd mix.

I was thinking along the lines of sugars post when I saw this thread because every chihuahua I have ever been around had been unfriendly and nippy. If you are getting 2 chances are at least one of them might have the undesirable traits that come with this breed. If you are set on a small dog like that perhaps a Boston Terrier. The other thing I was going to touch on was the expense. I see the price of the dogs on the site and if you are prepared for that that is fine. We payed close to 1000 for our 2 dogs. Just remember every time you have to take them for their yearly shots and check ups it is doubled as well. We go for a good 350 a year per dog in shots and meds.

I am going to find my thread on the spay/neutering deal we found and used that saved us a bunch of cash when that time came. Ill post it when I find it in my old threads and hopefully the link is still valid

I was thinking along the lines of sugars post when I saw this thread because every chihuahua I have ever been around had been unfriendly and nippy. If you are getting 2 chances are at least one of them might have the undesirable traits that come with this breed. If you are set on a small dog like that perhaps a Boston Terrier. The other thing I was going to touch on was the expense. I see the price of the dogs on the site and if you are prepared for that that is fine. We payed close to 1000 for our 2 dogs. Just remember every time you have to take them for their yearly shots and check ups it is doubled as well. We go for a good 350 a year per dog in shots and meds.

I am going to find my thread on the spay/neutering deal we found and used that saved us a bunch of cash when that time came. Ill post it when I find it in my old threads and hopefully the link is still valid

found it

This is Biscuit. As best we can tell, he's got some Beagle and some Dachsund in him. We got him about six years ago at The Humane Society. Paid, if I remember correctly, $30 and that included worming and rabies shots PLUS free neutering by a local vet when it was time. Hands down, the best $30 I ever spent.

Edited by Big F'n Dave

If that price of $600 is accurate then yeah, you're out of your f*cking mind. Go down to the Humane Society and adopt one for about $50.

You're welcome.

I will never own any dog but a mutt. Inbred dogs are as crazy as inbred people. I also will never get a dog except through the pound/humane society. Get yourself a nice lab/shepherd mix.

I'm sort of surprised in you three. You are all married men. Did I not say in the first post that my wife has her mind made up that she wants a chihuahua?

Edit: I guess I didn't really say that but it is true.

Edited by Puddy

My suggestion is to not get a dog online. Meet both parents, and aunts and uncles if possible. If you see the these relatives of your prospective puppy are outgoing, go for it; and keep up on the brushing.

We found the dog online but the breeder is local and we drove there to meet the puppy. I'll push on meeting the parents on the next trip.