[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting a chihuahua...

Puddy

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko: to Chihuahua info.

I have had very different experiences with this dog. I like them, which for me is surprising since the only other small dog breed I like are Dachshund.

The "shivering" that people talk about is a dietary thing, not from being nervous. Ask you vet about proper supplements to stop this from happening.

These dogs can also suffer from "small dog syndrome". This is caused by owners who generally let little dogs get away with behavior that they would not tolerate from larger breeds. These are VERY assertive animals and need strong, yet gentle application of "the law". They are very aggressive to other animals, especially other dogs if not socialized properly and need to be around A LOT of people from an early age to reduce the nippiness and aggression to strangers. Because of their small size, they tend to get spoiled by their female owners and treated like a doll more than a pet. THIS IS A HUGH ERROR! They are generally spunky and involved when socialized properly.

They also can be a little tough to house train, and many owners give up and simple paper train them. I have not heard about the teeth thingy with this breed, but know that ALL DOGS should have their teeth brushed and cleaned regularly. Believe me, the expense and effort up front is a lot less that the Vet bills that you will face later on.

Also, just because they are small, doesn't mean they should be carried around everywhere. Especially the Chihuahua! As a small breed dog, it is very energetic. If you don't burn that energy on a daily basis with a walk or other exercise, they can get very high-strung and hard to deal with just like larger, high energy breeds.

Just like in other threads, the owner has a major role in how the dog ultimately behaves and interacts with the world around it. This is one dog that takes a lot of effort to get it going in the right direction. Just because they are "small" doesn't mean you can just get two because it can't be that much more difficult. It doesn't matter if it is two Great Danes or two Chihuahuas, getting two dogs at the same time is more than two times the work and responsibility. Get one at a time, and if you want a second, get a female first, breed it, make some money on the puppies (maybe) and keep the one you like best. The mom will innately "take" to the presence of her offspring.

Puddy, print this, frame it, and live by it-great post.

One last thing about brushing a dog's teeth. Do it often, at least twice a day when they are puppies. They HATE it! But, once they get used to having your fingers in their mouth, they will submit. If you wait too long, it is A LOT harder!

Picked her up Saturday. A few pics.

She's already getting used to having her teeth brushed. She is doing her duty on the pee pad about 80% of the time already. She's already learned a couple of commands (will stand when we say "up" for a treat, will fetch her toy and drop it for us when we say "drop it" (most of the time)).

I've never been a prouder ghey man.

She's already getting used to having her teeth brushed. She is doing her duty on the pee pad about 80% of the time already. She's already learned a couple of commands (will stand when we say "up" for a treat, will fetch her toy and drop it for us when we say "drop it" (most of the time)).

:wacko: Good luck with her.

edit to add: What did you name her ?

Edited by whomper

Advise whoever is around the dog that after the dog takes a nap or has en extended sleep immediately put them on the pad or outside when she wakes up if that is where the dog is eventually going to go to relieve herself. A puppy almost always has to pee when they first wake up so it is good for training

We have an account that makes clothing for Dogs. The guy makes a killing. One of his shirts went for 150 dollars. He sold upscale stores. I think the companies name was cloak and doggie. We havent sold them in a long time though

Nice pictures but where is the dog ? ....unfortunately however i fear you may have a rodent problem ...

seriously , very cute dog and wish you best of luck :wacko:

i rode by Puddy's house the other day and noticed his testicals were out with the trash. :wacko:

Pud, can I bring my lab by? Were out of dog food and he'll need dinner tonight. :D

Serously, good looking dog. Just make sure my wife or kids don't see that thing because I will be in your shoes in no time. :D My daughter would carry that thing around with her everywhere.

i rode by Puddy's house the other day and noticed his testicals were out with the trash. :wacko:

Pud, can I bring my lab by? Were out of dog food and he'll need dinner tonight. :D

Serously, good looking dog. Just make sure my wife or kids don't see that thing because I will be in your shoes in no time. :D My daughter would carry that thing around with her everywhere.

One last thing about having sex with your wife. Do it often, at least twice a day. They HATE it! But, once they get used to having your fingers in their mouth, they will submit. If you wait too long, it is A LOT harder!

Fixed.

Advise whoever is around the dog that after the dog takes a nap or has en extended sleep immediately put them on the pad or outside when she wakes up if that is where the dog is eventually going to go to relieve herself. A puppy almost always has to pee when they first wake up so it is good for training

Good idea.

edit to add: What did you name her ?

I get the feeling puddy is avoiding answering this question... :wacko:

"My dad turned ghey and all I got was this lousy puppy."

Zoey.

:D