[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favroite cities and least favorite cities to live in ( the US )

isleseeya

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd pick the sunny day in seattle, since they come around about as often as a solar eclipse.

That's the thing. It was like 45 and sunny here yesterday. I don't care if it was 30 degrees cooler than what could normally considered to be a "nice" day, but it was really pleasant and fantastic to be out and about in. I washed the car, I went for a drive, I felt like it was summer time for the three hours it was moderately comfy. :wacko:

Sure it's not going to happen again for another month, but it worked and makes the times that it gets like that spectacular with the lakes, the mountains, and the greenery. You don't get that many other places, and part of what gives this area so much of the charm is the fact that nice weather isn't always accessible and pleasant and one particular way. It makes the times that it is an amazing experience.

can't really speak to which is a better place to live, but san antonio is a MUCH nicer place to visit IMO.

+1

Love San Diego, but too populated and expensive for us to ever consider living there.

Love Boston, hate the state politics. Passed on a couple of opportunities to move there.

NYC is a cool place to visit, but HUGHLY crowded and smelly.

+1

Love San Diego, but too populated and expensive for us to ever consider living there.

Love Boston, hate the state politics. Passed on a couple of opportunities to move there.

NYC is a cool place to visit, but HUGHLY crowded and smelly.

Actually surprised SLC didn't make the favorite list....

I can't believe Austin is not on the top-10 list. I agree with some of the choices in both polls. Portland, Denver and San Diego pop out as definitely on the top list.

Austin is in the top 10 of 'best cities' to live in, but I think the criteria for this poll is large cities, perhaps over a million people. Austin (I think) only at about half a million.

For SoCal-ers.....Why is Riverside being treated as it's own metro area. Seems as though it's being split off of LA a lot in various reports I've been reading lately. Is there even a boundary besides the county line separating it from LA?

Riverside is the "capital" of the Inland Empire. It's as much split off from Los Angeles as Orange County or even San Diego. It's incredibly smoggy, crowded and there's absolutely nothing to do out in that wasteland.

Austin is in the top 10 of 'best cities' to live in, but I think the criteria for this poll is large cities, perhaps over a million people. Austin (I think) only at about half a million.

2007 Census estimate is 743k. The metro Austin area is 1.6 million. Austin's the 16th-largest city in the nation. Also:

Austin was selected as the No. 2 Best Big City in "Best Places to Live" by Money magazine in 2006,

Per Wikipedia.

Detroit has less than a million people. :wacko:

San Fran is a great city, but proved far too expensive to live well.

Denver is a great area overall, though its the mountains and weather that are the main attractions. The city itself is not much.... I told a number of friends while I was living there that if not for the Rockies, it would be like living in Topeka.

Birmingham, AL is actually a great small city. I really liked it there.

Everyone's tastes are different, but weather doesn't seem to be much of a factor on these lists. 4-6 months of freezing cold, snow, and ice? No thanks. 23 years in that sh*t was enough for me. Take the weather out of the equation and I agree with a lot of the cities on the list. Los Angeles is an ugly city in many parts, but I'll take it's weather over most of the other cities on both lists.

Good call on San Fran Bier. I'd like it to be a bit warmer and a little less expensive, but it truly is a great city for so many other reasons.

Went to Chicago for the first time 2 Junes ago. It was a fantasic city, but I would want little to do with the weather there in mid-winter.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Yeah I don't get the impression cost of living was factored into the "greatness."

Also I thought DEN and SEA were super liberal/faggy? (course maybe one wrote the article :D )

Wow, as you're classy as they come. :wacko:

Edited by darin3

A bit surprised that the Charlotte-area, NC didn't get a mention. I lived near there one summer in college and really liked it.

Oh, and also, I'm really glad I don't live in KCMO either. :blech: It's amazing what happens on the other side of the state line...

A bit surprised that the Charlotte-area, NC didn't get a mention. I lived near there one summer in college and really liked it.

Oh, and also, I'm really glad I don't live in KCMO either. :blech: It's amazing what happens on the other side of the state line...

FWIW, I mentioned it. :D

+1

San Antonio is nice to visit and all, but I certainly wouldn't want to live there. Driveby, where you at in Houston?

We need a Houston huddler get together.

What, pray tell, does Houston have over San Antonio in terms of livability? Honestly, every time I drive through Houston, I can't WAIT to get out of that mess. I know the job market there is still very strong and is on average one of the more wealthier cities in the nation, but good Lord, it's just too crazy for me. I've only been to San Antonio once, but I would guess that living out in the Hill Country would be pretty nifty. :wacko:

FWIW, I mentioned it. :D

What, pray tell, does Houston have over San Antonio in terms of livability? Honestly, every time I drive through Houston, I can't WAIT to get out of that mess. I know the job market there is still very strong and is on average one of the more wealthier cities in the nation, but good Lord, it's just too crazy for me. I've only been to San Antonio once, but I would guess that living out in the Hill Country would be pretty nifty. :wacko:

Next time you head this way, send me a PM. I live in the Clear Lake area. There is more to Houston than downtown.

Next time you head this way, send me a PM. I live in the Clear Lake area. There is more to Houston than downtown.

I'd say half of the times we shoot through Houston, we make a little jaunt down to Kemah to either pick up or drop off my wife's sister. I-45 scares the heck out of me. :wacko:

A bunch of my friends here in Austin are from Houston and sing its praises as well. I'm sure there are pockets that are pretty sweet. I've been jaded.