[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just a little mini-vent after my adventurous school day.

irish

I've had a doosy of day today and still have to go back for conferences tonight. Here are just 3 of the main events from today's action-

I had a student go to the bathroom, take a dump, fish it out of the toilet, do some finger painting on the bathroom tiles with it and finally leave a message on the toilet seat that read, "Poop tastes like chicken.". Just disturbing I tell you.

Then,

I have another student who is so neglected at home that they come to school dressed like a clown most days and this same girl has some type of va-jay-jay infection to the point that the entire room smells like fish sticks all day long, especially after Phys. Ed and recess. The mother refuses to believe there is an issue and will not take her to a doctor.

Lastly,

I got a new student who has major behavioral and emotional problems. I read anecdotal records on her for the past 3-4 years from 3 different school districts that she's been in and left the main office dragging my jaw on the ground. She has been both verbally and physically abusive to past students and teachers. She has zero socialization skills, her mother died in front of her at the age of 7 when no one else was home with them and she has been physically and sexually abused by her father. She was taken from her father but then given back to him because he met the goals/requirements stated in some Family Service Plan. I have never in my career, seen a crazier look in a child's eyes than I see in this girl's.

What a day! :wacko: Now back to conferences...

Then,

I have another student who is so neglected at home that they come to school dressed like a clown most days and this same girl has some type of va-jay-jay infection to the point that the entire room smells like fish sticks all day long, especially after Phys. Ed and recess. The mother refuses to believe there is an issue and will not take her to a doctor.

My wife had a similar situation her first year as a teacher. The poor child finally had to be taken to the doctor by the school district. My wife went with her since she was the kids teacher. When the girl was put up in stirrups flies started crawling out of her va-jay-jay.

My wife had a similar situation her first year as a teacher. The poor child finally had to be taken to the doctor by the school district. My wife went with her since she was the kids teacher. When the girl was put up in stirrups flies started crawling out of her va-jay-jay.

:wacko: That's just gross. I honestly think that's something that could happen in this situation. You know it's bad when the other kids in class complain. I can't imagine what things are going to smell like when the warm/hot weather gets here.

That's why they pay Irish the big bucks! :D

Hang in there dude.

:D Man speaks the troof. thx.

Too bad you don't drink. Seems like a good time for that.

:wacko:

Tonight may be the start of some new habits. Then again the effects of me showing up tomorrow, hung-over for the first time could be disastrous for the poor children. And hell, haven't they been through enough already? I'll just put a couple extra scoops of Nesquik in my milk tonight and that should do it.

Edited by irish

Crap! I get an urgent message that someone posted about poop and flies in the tailgate so i race over here to find out it's only a Chappy post. Next time, when you send me a FB message, please let me know who!!!!!

Somehow I had a feeling this post might bring you out of the woodwork. I posted about some of my OCD issues recently and somebody mentioned how you and I should have an OCD-off.

He could even save some whiskey to use to disinfect the poor girls vajayajay

A duel use, that could work.

This thread is nauseating. Could of done without the "flies flying out" comment. :wacko:

The sad part is it may just be true in my case and the poor girl is overweight and just not a good looking kid. So she gets picked on by other kids.

And the hits kept coming today as DYFS had to get involved with another one of my kids today. This child was absent for the last 3 days and about 5 days in the last two weeks. She came in today and when I asked her if she was buying lunch she just started crying. After talking with her and involving the school counselor along with the nurse, we found out that she is expected to do many of the chores around the house- laundry, cleaning the kitchen, bathrooms, vacuuming, etc. and when she doesn't do it right or do the chores at all she gets beaten by her mother with a belt. Huge welt marks were found all over her legs. She also didn't have breakfast, had no packed lunch and had no money to buy lunch. Mom and dad are divorced and things have gotten ugly between them. Mom is trying to raise her 5 kids basically on her own and she has had DYFS involved before. She is no doubt struggling with things and has run out of patience. This poor kid is like a slave at her house and hates her life. She told me that she feels safe when she's at school and wishes that she could stay with me in school all the time and never have to go home. :D This stuff just keeps me up at night as I think about whether she's getting beaten, if she ate dinner, or had a bath.

Edited by irish

I haven't shared any school stories and it's probably for the best that I don't. I sympathize totally though, Irish. My kids are cut from the same cloth, sadly.

I'm happy if we can get through the week without having the police at school. The bar is that low at this point. My youngest student actually assaulted the police last time we called them out. Mainly because his mother has told him he should never, ever get into a police car, no matter what. :wacko:

Special Ed....I could never do it. Bless all who do!

Had several friends doing it. ~10 years seemed to max them all out and they changed to the standard classroom. One friend made it 12 w/ Severely Profound. When ever we got together she would tell unreal stories, with a hint of comedy. I think that was her vent and link to staying sane.

My wife has been teaching Special Ed for 13 years.... She has always enjoyed it until this year. Triple the case load and the kids this year have had the lowest function levels she has ever had... I could never do her job and my utmost respect to those who do... :D

I really enjoy it when we go to functions and she starrts talking the special ed acronym language with other teachers..... :wacko:

wow...I could never be a teacher, good luck bro...I don't know how you do it, but I am glad you do.

Thx HT. Some years are better than others. But it just seems like the ability of the kids coming in, lessens with each year, the workload increases and the level of participation/connection from the parents decreases.

I haven't shared any school stories and it's probably for the best that I don't. I sympathize totally though, Irish. My kids are cut from the same cloth, sadly.

I'm happy if we can get through the week without having the police at school. The bar is that low at this point. My youngest student actually assaulted the police last time we called them out. Mainly because his mother has told him he should never, ever get into a police car, no matter what. :D

Certainly sounds like you have it just as bad, if not worse. Also sounds like your kids are a bit older. I'm currently working with 4th graders.

Wow...that's unbelievable. I couldn't even imagine such things. No way could I handle that and not get sued for telling off the parents.

You have no idea how many times I have almost told a parent off or flat-out felt like popping a father in the eye for his lack of good parenting. Which in and of itself is rare as involved dads are few and far between.

My wife has seen all of this. One kid saw his daddy kill his mommy. His daddy made him watch Nightmare on Elm street and then drove the kid to a street named Elm Street and dropped him off there in the middle of the night. Good times. That's just one story.

That's just horrible!! There's no question that there are some bad teachers out there but there's a lot more damage done by terrible parents.

Special Ed....I could never do it. Bless all who do!

Had several friends doing it. ~10 years seemed to max them all out and they changed to the standard classroom. One friend made it 12 w/ Severely Profound. When ever we got together she would tell unreal stories, with a hint of comedy. I think that was her vent and link to staying sane.

There's no doubt that the burnout rate is incredible when working in such difficult situations. The stories are always insane and to survive through all the issues that confront teachers, having a good sense of humor and way to detach from it all at the end of the day are crucial.

My wife has been teaching Special Ed for 13 years.... She has always enjoyed it until this year. Triple the case load and the kids this year have had the lowest function levels she has ever had... I could never do her job and my utmost respect to those who do... :D

I really enjoy it when we go to functions and she starrts talking the special ed acronym language with other teachers..... :wacko:

My wife is also a Special Ed. teacher and is in the same situation as your wife this year. She went from working with a great partner with a handful of SE kids who functioned at a fairly decent level to working in a self contained environment with 13 kids of all various disabilities. BRUTAL!! She's been hit several times this year already, as were the prinicpal, nurse, Child Study Team members and other teachers who came in the room to support. :D

You like all those acronyms- I.E.P.'s, SLD, OHI, CI, BD, ED, ADHD, ADD, ODD, RC, ICS, ICA, IRC, etc. :D

Thanks to all for sharing.

Edited by irish

Not going to go into any details, but my wife sees a lot of similar stuff as an asst kindergarten teacher in regular public school. I couldn't even imagine how much worse it is in spec ed. I feel for anyone who can handle that kind of work, I know I never could.

Long story short, I work in an alternative ed. type program for kids with behavioral and emotional...challenges. :D I like them, despite their quirks.

God bless you! :D

Not going to go into any details, but my wife sees a lot of similar stuff as an asst kindergarten teacher in regular public school. I couldn't even imagine how much worse it is in spec ed. I feel for anyone who can handle that kind of work, I know I never could.

God bless her!

Teaching is tough!

Teaching in today's world is tougher!

Teaching Special Ed is is an occupation that is beyond a normal occupation!

Teaching is special. Teaching Special Ed is above and beyond!

Need I say more? :wacko:

You mentioned that your wife worked at the kindergarten level. Many say that they probably couldn't be teachers and that's more than likely true. One of the funny things about teaching and education is that that even with me being a teacher and working in some challenging situations, I don't feel I could be a good kindergarten teacher and I think I would hate it. Different people are cut out for different levels, ages and/or abilities of the children. Just look at Czar, she likes working in an alternate program with ED and BD kids and that's normally the situation where the most burnout occurs and quickly.

Edited by irish

You mentioned that your wife worked at the kindergarten level. Many say that they probably couldn't be teachers and that's more than likely true. One of the funny things about teaching and education is that that even with me being a teacher and working in some challenging situations, I don't feel I could be a good kindergarten teacher and I think I would hate it. Different people are cut out for different levels, ages and/or abilities of the children. Just look at Czar, she likes working in an alternate program with ED and BD kids and that's normally the situation where the most burnout occurs and quickly.

Yeah, we've heard that before & it's a pretty, for a lack of a better word, snooty way of looking at it. Sure, I've seen plenty of kindergarten "babysitters" but as any good parent can tell you would be extremely surprised how much children can learn at a very young age in the right situation. My wife has seen kids in her class who couldn't even feed themselves, but on the flip side some kids are already learning to read & write. The early years may not teach finite math & philosophy, but they do play a very large part in teaching children the basics of learning and how to interact socially. A lot of times they play the role their parents should be playing and none of that should ever be understated or downplayed.

Yeah, we've heard that before & it's a pretty, for a lack of a better word, snooty way of looking at it. Sure, I've seen plenty of kindergarten "babysitters" but as any good parent can tell you would be extremely surprised how much children can learn at a very young age in the right situation. My wife has seen kids in her class who couldn't even feed themselves, but on the flip side some kids are already learning to read & write. The early years may not teach finite math & philosophy, but they do play a very large part in teaching children the basics of learning and how to interact socially. A lot of times they play the role their parents should be playing and none of that should ever be understated or downplayed.

Excellent points! Teaching by itself is very difficult but Kindergarten is a whole different animal. I've done some field experience there and it takes a tremendous amount of energy to make it through a day of school with a class of 20- 5 year olds. I know how much kids in the kindergarten age can learn and how difficult it can be to deliver the lessons/skills that a group a kids with varied abilities requires. As you said, you have some coming in ready to read or reading already and others who barely know their letters. Some with great social skills and some without any at all. Hell, my son is 1-1/2 removed from Kindergarten and my daughter will be going into K next year.

No grade level and the goals they attempt to achieve can be underestimated, especially grades K-2 as they are the foundation toward developing higher level skills and without a solid foundation the rest is a collapsing unit filled with gaps.

ETA: I reread your post and I think there may have been a misunderstanding in that you thought I was downplaying the importance of Kindergarten teachers. That's not the case at all if you read my post again and then my response to yours. I was saying that those who think they probably can't teach, are probably right. Nothing snooty on my part (maybe on the part of some others who think teaching kindergarten is easy), more making the same points you were making. I hope that came across right. :wacko:

Edited by irish