[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 11 Movies to Share with Your Son

DMD

In case you did not see it on my blog http://www.thehuddle.com/blog/dmd/

The Top 11 Movies To Share With Your Son

Raising a son has challenges along the way to be sure, but there is a lot of enjoyable aspects to teaching the boy to be a man. One of those, in my opinion, is to make sure that he has seen the movies that have the qualities that he must possess as a man. Or at least they are entertaining enough that you have to have seen them because all the other guys will and you do not want your kid to look stupid.

Now this list will no doubt be different for every father out there, but I thought I would share my list and solicit for any movies I may have overlooked as a part of the Y chromosome experience. Realize too that some of those movies are only for the late teenager to watch. Let Mommy deal with getting him the needed dose of Barney and whatever animated movies he needs. When he gets into his teens is when you need to jump into action.

And apologies if I am ignoring the daughters but I do not have any myself and I am old-school enough to actually think there is a huge difference between a boy and a girl anyway. Perhaps someone else can add the movies to watch with a daughter.

In case you are wondering how I arrived at 11, I aimed for ten and when I was done I shockingly remembered about Saving Private Ryan which is a mandatory watch. But so are the other 10 movies. So we have 11.

The Top 11 Movies To Share With Your Son (in no particular order)

1. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - Clint Eastwood at his Spaghetti-finest. Searching for buried civil war gold has Clintwood as the ultimate “get it done” bad-ass loner. The Dirty Harry series was great and most his films are must-see. But G-B-U is a classic with the most recognizable theme song in the world. Special mention - High Plains Drifter. The best “ride off into the sunset” in cinematic history. HPD makes a top 20.

2. Red Dawn - Reasonably one of the greatest films ever made, what better movie to show a teenager in high school than what to do when some country invades the United States of America? I think it is important for a young man facing adulthood to believe that he could survive on his own wiles and that he could hold off an entire army by trading up from his deer rifle to an RPG and spray painting WOLVERINES on smoldering wrecks of military vehicles. He needs to see it. What father doesn’t want to be able to yell “AVENGE ME!” when confined in a prison camp and know that counter-insurgency will ensue?

3. Scarface - Okay, heads up - not a kiddie movie. When Michelle Pfieffer asks Al Pacino why he always uses the F-bomb, it is a sign that even the characters themselves think the bad language is excessive. This is the final movie I would show my son and my 16 year-old has not seen it yet (or that he wisely claims to not have seen). Constant cursing and significant violence and all about the cocaine trade of the 1970’s. But Scarface is one of those movies that just perfectly filled some cinematic void. You must know where “Say hello to my little friend” came from. I’ve seen the movie maybe 20 times. At some point, you must watch this movie to get your man-card. Good Fellas and The Godfather series would be substituted here by many and maybe most. I prefer Scarface for my organized crime flick.

4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Assumedly British humor plays well all over England but in the states, it just seems like only guys get it. The entire movie is quotable. The premise is ridiculous and stupid. And it’s simply one of the funniest movies ever made that almost no woman I know of has enjoyed. My son loved it. 30+ years from when I first saw it, I can throw my napkin at my son after dinner and suddenly it is the Holy Hand Grenade.

5. Full Metal Jacket - Lee Ermey isn’t just the guy on Mail Call (which by the way was a great series on cable). As the cantankerous and later murdered Sergeant, his character offers a stereotype that every male must understand and recognize. Language was bad and wonderfully descriptive using vivid imagery. Movie shows what can happen when you pick on the creepy, dumb guy - just do NOT push him too far. For military movies with boot camp scenes there is none greater. If nothing else, this movie shows how a professional can lay down smack. Ermey doesn’t just call people names; he brings in all the hot buttons and shows impressive imagination when he berates someone.

6. Platoon - A second Viet Nam movie is just pure testosterone and blood. Great action. This was Charlie Sheen’s ode to his father’s (Martin) Apocalypse Now. I had my son watch Apocalypse Now (the converted Heart of Darkness by novelist Joseph Conrad) and he thought it was slow. Seesh - Kids these days. Platoon is never slow. Imagine being in the firefight at night in a foxhole with a flare floating above the jungle canopy. Whoa. If you work in a big office, you can pretty much draw a line from each character in the movie to someone where you work. And no, you cannot do that to your boss under any circumstances.

7. Braveheart - About as graphic of fight scenes as you will ever see, the beauty of this movie is that it still appeals to women because of the love story. But the political intrigue from both sides protecting their lands coupled with tremendous action scenes and the always lovable underdog kicking the royals around. The King and his fancy son had an interesting relationship that included Flying Phillip. And then the princess tells the mute king that she carries the seed of another man. The ending was one of the greatest in Man-Flicks movie history with the tortured and yet never-bowed William Wallace shouting “FREEDOM!”

8. 300 - No problem with attention waning in this movie. The Spartans stand at Thermopylae was legendary anyway and the treatment in this flick was spectacular in graphic appeal. Nothing like 300 guys holding off tens of thousands of soldiers (for a while anyway). This was the Alamo before there was a Texas. Just good fun in a bloody, militaristic sort of way. The small band knew they would die and yet for the good of the many gave their lives. Special Mention - The Alamo for the line in the sand. The John Wayne version is the classic. The recent attempt was revisionist history thanks to historians who have nothing else to do but try to rewrite the past based on speculation and micron-thin “evidence”. Then again what else do they have to do? There’s nothing wrong with seeing an example of sacrificing yourself for the greater good.

9. This is Spinal Tap - 25 years old and it still speaks to musicians who take themselves too seriously (or at least value their skills too highly). This is a classic spoof documentary that is a treat for anyone who loves rock and roll. The entire movie could be boiled down to the one scene where Nigel touts how loud his amp is because the volume button goes up to 11 and all others stop at ten. Every garage band must see this movie. It should be included in the box with the starter set of a Yamaha electric guitar and tiny amp.

10. Saving Private Ryan - Certainly one of the best war movies ever made. Both moralistic and yet shows the insanity of war. The beaches of Normandy are way too intense for youngsters but once he is of age, this is a must see. Individually the men acted like heroes and collectively, the government was willing to sacrifice a lot of men to find just one guy that would be a PR problem had he died. The ending to the movie in the cemetery was the most powerful I have ever seen when he asked his wife “tell me I have lived a good life, tell me that I have been a good man”.

11. Tremors I, II, III and IV - This movie could be almost anything but it is the one movie (series sort of) that my wife has long-thought was stupid and yet my son and I will always watch if we channel surf into it. No matter that we have seen them all over and over. Tremors is something that we share that defies logic and reason. It is our movie(s) and in a few years when he is gone living his life as an adult, I will come across Tremors playing and just watch it and shed a small tear that he will not be here to trade barbs and comments. Half the fun is winking at each other as we try to convince mom that giant Pre-Cambrian worms could really exist. If you got a kid, you have to find your own “Tremors”. My Dad and I shared The Guns of Navarone and Bridge Over the River Kwai.

There are tons of other movies and perhaps your list is completely different than mine. Limiting it to just 11 movies is hard but is also doable with just a few years of the occasional rainy weekend. Other movies that are present in my second tier but may be your first tier include Caddyshack, Predator, Deliverance, Brian’s Song, North Dallas 40, Apocalypse Now, Rambo, Remember The Titans, Patton, Billy Jack and Kelly’s Heroes.

Also worthy of honorable mention - Old Yeller. This will tell you if your son has a heart or if he should have been named Damien. Watch it with the lights down low because it can cause those darn watery allergy eyes. Yeah, allergies. You know - What’s Travis doing with that rifle??? Travis? TRAVIS!… Hmm… I think maybe he should watch that one with his mother…

What would you share?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read the blog this morning. I have to see some of these myself. I've only seen 5 of the 11. :wacko:

My boy is only 7 so I have some time. I'd add Pulp Fiction when he's 17 or so. I also think 12 Angry Men would be a good one based on it's simple setting but thought provoking storyline.

I have the two best sons any father could possibly hope to have the fortune of being kin to, much less knowing. I've seen a few of those movies with them at one time or another. But the one that stands out on your list to me is Braveheart. My wife and I saw that one years ago and I'll never watch it again because the ending made her cry like I've never seen anyone cry before, ruined the damn thing for me! :wacko:

And to be clear my wife gets the lions share of the credit for my fine sons not me.

Edited by Retrograde assault

Other than the Tremors series, which is your gig with your son, I could not say that any could be replaced. All are fine movies and should be shared. Unlike ranking FF Players, I think based on personal taste, any of the second tier could be moved up to the top list. I thought that Top 11 was interesting instead of forcing yourself into the conventional Top 10, but I think the "bonus number 11" is for that "special bond" flick that is more personal than good.

For my boy and I, the Jurassic Park series comes to play. He is almost seven, and can't get enough of any of them. I was a big dino guy as a kid (what boy wasn't?) and as a biologist by love and education, the scientific premise is interesting. Plus, I do likes me a good dino flick!

What amazes me, is that for an almost seven year old, he LOVES one of my favorite movies, Forrest Gump. That is another surf stopper for us. (He gets real squirmy when Jenny is on the screen :D ).

As much as I love the GBU, my favorite Eastwood flick is The Outlaw Josey Wales. Either can fit there, this would be mine. You can't have this list without AT LEAST one Clint reel. And just when you thought he was done, he cuts Gran Torino. This was an awesome Eastwood movie and role.

The Deer Hunter, may be an add on for the War Movie list. That river scene is brutal, but has a reality lesson that most Americans never are exposed to and still don't believe exists in the human persona.

Also, how can you not include Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck) in "To Kill a Mockingbird"? If you want to save a spot in the movie list, this and "The Grapes of Wrath" should be included on the Top Ten Books list for your son (maybe a new thread?" I could add "Swiss Family Robinson" right now and have a solid start to a top three!

As far as "Old Yeller"... :wacko: ... I would watch that with him, lights up and let him see my tears! He is a sensitive boy, but very much a boy as well. I do not want to squelch that part of him because he is like his Dad. I wear my emotions on my sleeve and it has both helped and hurt me... mostly helped. Watching Forrest Gump together, he has seem my tears, especially when Buba dies by the river in Nam. I want him to know it is OK to hurt as well as to express joy and sensitivity. Otherwise, all that is left is anger, sarcasm and machoism.

As for a comedy, I can't exclude Blazing Saddles!

I won't be able to share some of your Top-11 until my son is old enough to accept what he is seeing (perhaps 14-16?), but a great list.

Others:

Remember the Titans

Rocky

Rudy

Hoosiers

Rounders

The Patriot

Gladiator

ETA: Indiana Jones and the Star Wars movies....perhaps the two series of movies that represent what a young boy's imagination is really all about.

All movies that represent lessons of rights of passage to becoming a man.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

While I agree with most of your list, I'm sorry but I thought 300 was HORRIBLE. It was cool for about 15 minutes. Then it was the same thing over and over with an unreal monster thrown in for good measure.

I'm kind of surprised that there wasn't a sports flick in that list. I get why you included 300 but I certainly would have subbed Hoosiers in instead.

tremors? :D

Yeah, I couldn't really think of a good reason for anyone to like Tremors. Maybe its just me (because they made a bunch of them) but it always looked pretty hokie to me. I only have one kid and she is 10 months old right now so it'll be awhile. Hopefully our next is a boy so we can share some sports/ sci-fi / action flicks. :wacko:

Tremors is just the silly movie that we share and mostly because he liked it when he was young. It was always just a bonding thing for us that was rather separate from his mother.

There could be a ton of sports movies as well. I almost included Brian's Song and Remember the Titans. In our house, there is only football. No one here follows any other sport.

One thing that is wierd is to watch movies that were so great when you were growing up and yet by today's standards (which is all the kid has) they are slow and much less impressive. I remember when Star Wars came out originally it was perhaps the most amazing leap in special effects ever. Now your average commercial has as much.

My son is 12 and we have watched many of those movies together. Others on our list have been Rocky, Shawshank Redemtion, Rudy, Hoosiers, Where the Red Fern Grows, original Planet of the Apes, The Shining, Finding Forester, Star Wars, Mississippi Burning, The Pursuit of Happiness, Pale Rider, Escape from Alcatraz, A River Run Through...

Just thinking of the list brings back some great memories.

best ones mentioned so far are hoosiers, a river runs through it, saving private ryan, and star wars.

I would add High Noon to the list.

others that came to mind: 3:10 to yuma, vacation, airplane!, back to school...and i would say field of dreams, but I didn't really care for the movie personally.

I wouldn't want my son, if I had one, seeing Scarface... not only does it suck but what is the point? Also Full Metal, another crappy azz movie. How about the whole Bourne series?, or more Eastwood stuff (Josie Whales, Pale Rider et al). Maybe more Bond stuff...

I like a lot of the above choices, but have to throw in my own as well:

When my son is old enough to appreciate it I'll be watching "The Hurricane" with him. A fine film, Denzel's greatest performance as an actor (IMHO), and great messages galore.

WashD