[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Capital One

untateve

I've had my Capital One credit card for somewhere around 7-8 years. Never missed a payment, never been late, etc.

I get a notice in the mail that my interest rate is going up from 9.9% to 17.9%. I call to cancel the card and ask the reason for this dramatic increase. I'm told that it is due to the "challenging" economic times. He also told me that "millions" of customers have received this notice. I tell Mr. Capital One Operator to please cancel my card--I'm paying it off and cutting it up. He nicely informs me that if I pay it off the balance each month, I won't incur these loan shark rates. I inform him that I have other credit cards with appropriate interest rates so thanks, but no thanks. I tell him that I guess that Capital One plans on making $$$ off of people who don't read their credit card notices and will be due for a nasty surprise when they open their June statement (the changes go into effect in May). Mr. Capital One Operator just chuckles and asks if there is anything else he can help me with.

Add Capital One to the list of evil empires. Happily, I have escaped their clutches forever.

Capital One is the debbil.

OTOH, my credit card did the same. Jumped to 19%. I don't carry a balance, never been late and have perfect credit. It's just the way it is right now. I don't really care since I don't plan to carry a balance. I read a story that some people are having their credit lines tanked to beneath the balance they carry, thus incurring late fees and such. Those are the people getting royally screwed.

Credit card companies are about the lowest of the lowest scum on the planet. Don't fall into their trap. Anyone that works for a credit card company is going to Hell.

I have the completely opposite experience. I have nothing but good things to say about the cashback CC I have and also their excellent customer service, which has reverted to more humans, less automation.

They've got to Ursa...he's one of them now. :tears:

They've got to Ursa...he's one of them now. :tears:

I can only tell it like I find it. I am fortunate to have very good credit and pay the thing off monthly without fail so I guess I get a different view to some. :wacko:

ETA: I spend thousands on it monthly to get the cash back so Cap One gets to rape all those retailers - maybe that's why they like me.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

I've had my Capital One credit card for somewhere around 7-8 years. Never missed a payment, never been late, etc.

I get a notice in the mail that my interest rate is going up from 9.9% to 17.9%. I call to cancel the card and ask the reason for this dramatic increase. I'm told that it is due to the "challenging" economic times. He also told me that "millions" of customers have received this notice. I tell Mr. Capital One Operator to please cancel my card--I'm paying it off and cutting it up. He nicely informs me that if I pay it off the balance each month, I won't incur these loan shark rates. I inform him that I have other credit cards with appropriate interest rates so thanks, but no thanks. I tell him that I guess that Capital One plans on making $$$ off of people who don't read their credit card notices and will be due for a nasty surprise when they open their June statement (the changes go into effect in May). Mr. Capital One Operator just chuckles and asks if there is anything else he can help me with.

Add Capital One to the list of evil empires. Happily, I have escaped their clutches forever.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me, I cancelled the foker, and paid it off as well. VERY puzzling business plan to ostracize the GOOD clients...

Guess they make most of thier money from the late fees anyhow?? :wacko:

This is EXACTLY what happened to me, I cancelled the foker, and paid it off as well. VERY puzzling business plan to ostracize the GOOD clients...

Guess they make most of thier money from the late fees anyhow?? :wacko:

I'm reasonably certain these companies don't make money off of the "good" customers.

Just as an aside, I thought it very interesting that I saw a commercial for K-Mart where they were touting their Layaway Plan. Before credit, there was layaway. It's roots can be traced back to Henry Ford. Personally, I'd love to see this as the future of attaining goods that one can't immediately afford.

A few months ago I received a notice from Capital One that it was "suspending" one of my accounts because I hadn't used it in awhile (~18 months). No warning. I called them and they confirmed that "suspending" meant that they were closing my account. I explained that I didn't want to close it, due to a likely adverse effect on my FICO score, and that I would therefore use it regularly to keep the account open. They explained that this was not an option and suggested that I could reapply for another card. :wacko:

So I decide to e-mail them:

I received a letter from you in which you indicated that you were

closing my account for lack of use. I would like to keep the account

open.(You'll note that I recently had an auto loan with you.)

If you send a new card to me, I will use it regularly to maintain this

account.

Thank you.

Furd

Dear Furd,

Thanks for contacting us about your Capital One account.

After conducting a periodic review of our existing accounts, we noticed

that you had not used your Capital One® credit card for an extended

period of time. As a result, we suspended your credit card account and

will close it after 60 days from the date of your initial notification.

If you have a Rewards balance to redeem, you will need to do so before

the account is closed. Suspensions cannot be removed from the account.

Please visit www.capitalone.com for account information, including

rewards balances, redemption options, or miles redemption.

You are a valued customer and we thank you for choosing Capital One.

If you have questions, please respond to this email or our Customer

Service Representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at

1-800-955-7070.

Sincerely,

Capital One Financial Services, Inc.

Thank you for the reply.

If I were a valued customer, you would not be closing my account, which

will undoubtedly have a negative effect on my FICO score.

I don't understand this, in part because I recently had a fairly

substantial auto loan with your company.

Damaging my credit score does not encourage me to do business with your

company. So I guess that the correct statment is that I "was" a valued

customer.

Sincerely,

Furd

Dear Furd,

Thanks for contacting us about your Capital One account.

Thank you for providing us with your feedback regarding your credit

score. We appreciated your feedback and have forwarded a copy of your

correspondence to the appropriate department. We apologize for your

inconvenience and appreciate your time in providing our offices with

this valued feedback. Again, we want to thank you for your feedback.

You are a valued customer and we thank you for choosing Capital One.

If you have questions, please respond to this email or our Customer

Service Representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at

1-800-955-7070.

Sincerely,

Capital One Financial Services, Inc.

I understand that banks need to reduce their exposure and all, but I don't get why one would cut off a low risk guy with a pretty substantial history with them.

Credit card companies are about the lowest of the lowest scum on the planet. Don't fall into their trap. Anyone that works for a credit card company is going to Hell.

I believe the seventh ring of hell has collection agencies but credit card companies are right above them.