[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Most Important Sports moment from when you were a kid....

Brooklyn_Rob

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came to be a fanatic a little later than most, but My first big memory was 85 (I think) when the Major Harris led Mountaineers took on the Irish until those Catholic f'ers cheap-shot his knee. I'm gonna be pizzed the rest of the day now...

1988 season (89 Fiesta Bowl)

Edited by Big John

I wasnt a kid, but I have VIVID memories of the Packers beating the 49ers at Candlestick park on a chris Jacke 53 yard field goal in overtime.

End of the 49ers dominance and the rise of the packers after years of crappy football . . .

That game was at Lambeau Field on MNF in 1996.

Don Sutton tossed a ball up to me and my brother in the bleachers before game 7.

(Even though I was at Game 7 of the WS, I think Game 3 has turned out to be the most important sports moment to me (along with the 1980 US hockey team's win over the USSR). We had spent the night outside the stadium with my dad (and thousands of other people) to get tickets for the game. We ended up watching Game 3 on a tiny black and white television set with dozens of other people. I still get chills when I think of the thousands of voices echoing off the downtown buildings with chants of "Willie... Willie... Willie..." after Willie McGee hit his second home-run and made his dazzling, home-run saving catch.)

Games 3-5 were in Milwaukee.

Mine has to be the first Broncos game I remember watching - '77 or '78 (I was 6 or 7). They were playing the Colts in Denver in a great snow storm - it was snowing here, so I felt connected to the game. Denver was down by 15 at the half and came back to win on Craig Morton's arm. :wacko: I've been a Broncos fan ever since.

USA v. USSR Olympic hockey was awesome as well.

1980/81 was a very good time frame:

Jan 11 1981 Eagles beat the Cowboys 20-7 in the NFC Championship

but the tops for me was Game 6 1980 when the Phils beat the Royals to win the World Series...I was in section 301 and for an 8th grader it was just an awesome time

An event that made me love football...was when i was 6 in 1988. Monday night football game vs the Giants....

At the time....didnt know much at all about football... but Randell Cunningham aviods a tackle, spins, catches himself with one hand and throws a strike for a TD.

That play alone i grew to idolize the guy and is the reason im born and raised Brooklyn actually liking a Philly team... which is why to this day i dont call them the Philadelphia Eagles...just the Eagles :wacko:

I have two, one a little fuzzier than the other: I was 8 and was taken to my first bears game. Payton rushes for 275 yards. I remember being kind of cold but also thinking "football is a game where #34 gets chased all day long." I recall a few of the long runs but certainly remember the announcement on the record at the stadium and the honey bears going wild.

The other was in 1985, living in Houston trekked up to The Big D, and watched them lay the 44-0 shellacking of th Cowboys in what was their regular season peak of scoring 80 and giving up 0 (they laid 36-0 on the Falcons the next week before losing to Miami) over the course of 2 weeks. That was the game where Wilbur Marshall hit Danny White so hard he knocked out one of his teeth - and it was a molar. :wacko:

Edited by Pope Flick

For whatever reason, they never involve my favorite teams.

1. April 15, 1985 Hagler vs. Hearns. One of the greatest fights ever, IMHO despite only going 3 rounds. It was brutal.

2. October 15, 1988 World Series Game 1, with Kirk Gibson's home run the cherry on top.

Games 3-5 were in Milwaukee.

Yes, I know.

Edit: ok, now I understand what was confusing about my initial post so let me clarify: we were spending the night outside Busch stadium to get tickets for Game 7 and while we were waiting in line, we watched Game 3 on the tv.

Edited by wiegie

1980 USA Olympic Hockey vs. the Soviets - capping it off with gold in their next game.

Ding, ding ding!

It has to go down as the best sporting event of any ever played! I get goosebumps to this day every time I see highlights of it! I mean "Do you believe in miracles....YES!!"

It had everything you could want... Huge underdog... come from behind... incredible announcer doing the game... for the honor of our great country... david v. goliath...

in the 70's watching graig nettles made me love 3b.

watching lynn swann, ronnie lott, ken easly, sd chargers offense (fouts, chandler, winslow, jj, joiner)

the catch in the nfc championship, then the gl stand in the sb vs cin (XVI)

So my servers are down at work today, and I'm just youtubing sports clips from when i was younger...so sorry if this has been asked before...but..

What is your most IMPORTANT sports memory from when you a child...what is that one moment that made you realize how much you love sports....

Mine was Game 6 of the 86 world series... I was there with my father as a 4 year old...and only in the last month of the season, and then starting to watch with my dad all the time did i start to understand just how huge of a deal it was. From then on i have been nothing but a sports junkie...

for me it was game 7, i can still remember Orosco closing it out in the ninth.

in the 70's watching graig nettles made me love 3b.

watching lynn swann, ronnie lott, ken easly, sd chargers offense (fouts, chandler, winslow, jj, joiner)

the catch in the nfc championship, then the gl stand in the sb vs cin (XVI)

Wow, never realized you were fossilized like me. Ali KO'ing Foreman was pretty good, or Secretariat's run in the Belmont (although we all know that horse racing is not a sport...).

Wow, never realized you were fossilized like me. Ali KO'ing Foreman was pretty good, or Secretariat's run in the Belmont (although we all know that horse racing is not a sport...).

:wacko: He is a little bit younger than you.

1982 World Series Game 7 then Ozzie Smiths home run in the 85 playoffs against the dodgers.

Those were terrific.

I remember Harry Carey's call in '64 when the Cards caught the Phillies on the last day of the season. That was my introduction to Cardinal baseball and I've been addicted ever since.

Also Mike Shannon striking out in a game in '67 and turning around and saying "shit" loud enough to for those of us to hear him who were sitting behind the plate. I was... :wacko:

Edited by The Holy Roller