[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Face book/myface/myspace/twitter/blah etc

BeeR

Just wondering. It all seems pretty childish/gay to me, frankly. But admittedly I'm kind of a techie dinosaur...I don't even take pictures or access email with my phone - I just call people. Yes I just use my phone to call people - gasp

Just wondering. It all seems pretty childish/gay to me, frankly. But admittedly I'm kind of a techie dinosaur...I don't even take pictures or access email with my phone - I just call people. Yes I just use my phone to call people - gasp

Not sure if you're looking for props for your anti-tech philosophy. If so, you won't get them from me. I personally think Facebook is a fantastic way to reconnect with people and to keep involved with friends/family that you may not be able to on a regular basis otherwise.

I say - don't hate. Appreciate.

Oh..... and I can assure you that I'm not gay.

I finally caved on Facebook. It's OK. As my friend Raina was saying, there are people who put up the most minute, boring things (a la "I am eating a peanut butter sandwich") and even more disturbing for agnostics such as myself there are those who praise Jesus/Allah/Flying Spaghetti Monster 3 times a day.

The upside is that yeah, when someone does do interesting things or is funny as hell, you get a daily dose of what they're up to.

Primarily for me it's a way to keep in touch with people I WOULDN'T otherwise call and get kid pics to my relatives without having to muck around overly much.

I've been in IT now for 10 years and I don't attach my name/email/or pictures to anything on the www unless I absolutely have to. I avoid Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace like the plague. I don't want Big Brother watching.

Well thats partially true. I avoid most of them cause I don't want people from the past bothering me when I really never cared/liked/remembered them to begin with. I will eventually break down and register at Facebook because its becoming a requirement for my industry. Not so much to have a public presentational site, but just to see you're registered for it. Kind of a pain if you ask me cause I already have 3 people I knew spamming my email box with invites to social sites like facebook. Just my :wacko:

I thought that was what IMDB was for?

IMDB is a factual representation of Television/Movie's that you have worked on. There is no option to provide photo's, except of yourself, of your work. That is where MySpace comes in.

Not sure if you're looking for props for your anti-tech philosophy. If so, you won't get them from me. I personally think Facebook is a fantastic way to reconnect with people and to keep involved with friends/family that you may not be able to on a regular basis otherwise.

I say - don't hate. Appreciate.

Oh..... and I can assure you that I'm not gay.

Yup. It's great for keeping in touch with friends/relatives who you can't talk to all the time. No interation is necessary, it's just nice to see what they are up to once in a while.

I've been in IT now for 10 years and I don't attach my name/email/or pictures to anything on the www unless I absolutely have to. I avoid Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace like the plague. I don't want Big Brother watching.

Me too.

My sister and BIL have a blog where they post all sorts of stories about their kids ... not password protected ... I refuse to visit the site to read what is going on on principle alone ... I will not condone or support any mechanism for perverts and delinquents to prey upon innocent kids ... and I think that is just what this sort of crap is. My sister posted a blurb on her facebook site about being an aunt again about 10 minutes after our last child was born, and through all the linking to friends and friends of friends, I had people that I called about 2hrs after the birth tell me they already knew about it ... after about ten minutes, I figured out it was my sister. I called her and read her the riot act and had her delete the post.

If you post pictures of your kids and details about their life on the web, and then, later they get abused in any way, shape or form, it's on you.

Your job as a parent is to PROTECT your kids and to train them in the way they should conduct their affairs. It is NOT to get halloween pictures to Grandma or tell the funny story about how little Jimmy hit an inside the park homerun three minutes after throwing up from eating a bad hot dog.

While I have posted various personal stories over the years here, I am VERY careful about giving anything to anyone ever that would in any way jeaopardize the safety of my family.

Twitter, facebook, myspace, et.al. can kiss my ass. :wacko:

Edited by muck

none of that for me either...and no texting for me either.

there are those who praise Jesus/Allah/Flying Spaghetti Monster 3 times a day.

I have about 100 facebook "friends", and I've had to block updates for about 15 of them for this.

Your job as a parent is to PROTECT your kids and to train them in the way they should conduct their affairs. It is NOT to get halloween pictures to Grandma or tell the funny story about how little Jimmy hit an inside the park homerun three minutes after throwing up from eating a bad hot dog.

no halloween pictures to grandma?

:wacko:

what kind of monster are you?

I've recently gotten into Facebook at the request of one of my friends. I think it's great. I've reconnected with two of my relatives that I don't hate and someone that I haven't seen in 30 years. It is up to you what you put up there and who gets to see it. Also, as much as I hate to say this, it is becoming important to have a Facebook or MySpace presence.

I've been debating on facebook. I loves me some tech, but myspace always seemed a little pointless. A lot of people my age are jumping on facebook because you barely get to see anybody now that we are getting older. Everyone has small children so you don't get out much and the parties aren't really the all nighters they used to be. So facebook allows them to catch up with old college and hs buddies without really making a lot of calls. I'll probably eventually cave and have some private facebook account. I just haven't gotten around to it.

I met my wife on Myspace, so it has meaning to me. It was a great way to meet people (girls) when I was single. Then she put me on Facebook, and while its just ok, it certainly is over rated IMO. Just recently started doing the twitter thing, but I think its kind of gay. Why the hell do I wantto know when someone is going to the gym, or going to jerk off, or getting ready to go work out? There are a few things good about it if you sign up with the right people to follow I guess, I just havent found anything worth following yet. Even the huddle (sorry) seems pointless to follow (at least for text updates). I dont need it to be sent to my phone that Santonio Holmes is expecting to go to the Superbowl this year.

During the whole McNair thing, there were a few people supposedly twittering (I refuse to say "tweeting") from the crime scene. This is actually part of the problem whough with Twitter. Anyone could have been posting anything they want, and if you are following them because they seem legit, you would vbe getting false info. Oh well...

I avoid all the facebook / myspace / twitter mess. Myspace seems like it's just for teenagers now, and twitter is basically nonsense. Most people I know are on facebook and I can definately see the value and the attraction of it. The whole reason I avoid it is because I'm lazy and don't want to have to interact with all the people out there who are online constantly.

Facebook is the only one I am a member of and I enjoy it for what it is worth. I dont get involved in the Mafia wars and ignore most of the requests but do enjoy talking to old friends . It still amazes me when I hit the friends online button and see a person i went to elementary school with and have the ability to talk to them.