[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets Talking Thomas Jones Trade?

heehawks

Just saw in priority news that the Jets have contacted an NFC West team about trading Thomas Jones.

As stated, by process of elimination my Heehawks are the lilkely team contacted. So does anybody have any other news on this? I've scoured the local papers online and cannot find anything.

I would like to know from fellow Huddlers what the impact of this might be? Would the Heehawks run a brother combo in the backfield?? Who would the Jets want in return? Draft picks?

Who then would the Jets start in the backfield? They must have a ton of faith in Shonne Green and Leon Washington.

I'm not sure if this would be a good fit or not for the Heehawks, and I would definitely like to know what you guys think about the impact for both teams.

Maybe the Cards? Back to the desert for him?

They apparently don't like Hightower much, they took a RB in the 1st round. Bad luck for them since his history of injuries seems to be follwing him

Seahawks don't seem like a much better fit they are already jammed up at RB. Could be bad news for Duckett if its true

They apparently don't like Hightower much, they took a RB in the 1st round. Bad luck for them since his history of injuries seems to be follwing him

Seahawks don't seem like a much better fit they are already jammed up at RB. Could be bad news for Duckett if its true

Duckett is bad news period...

but I think moving TJ is great :D

especially for my Huddle Ladder roster...:wacko:

If by "jammed up" up, you mean full of crap, then you could say that.

I actually think Duckett is going to see quite a few carries this year. He has been one of the stars of camp thus far. I just don't see the Jones boys playing together and competing for carries. My thought was Arizona as well.

Jones started out in Arizona. I just cannot imagine him going back there.

Why would any team want him knowing he has maybe a year or two left? He may not make it that far. He is 31 years old.

Why would any team want him knowing he has maybe a year or two left? He may not make it that far. He is 31 years old.

Cause if you can get him cheap, he may have exactly that- 1-2 years left of solid play and for a team like Seattle, could be the missing piece with an aging Hasselbeck and Housh and the youngster, Carlson all in place to make another playoff push. They have a decent D and this could help them make a playoff run in a subpar division. Thomas Jones could bridge the gap between now and when they can draft a youngster and is better than Julius and or whatever they have there currently. Don't you think?

Edited by irish

If Arizona thinks Wells has injury issues, they probably wouldn't be comfortable trying to defend as NFC champs with Hightower and nothing at all behind him. Jones would make a decent insurance policy. Arizona doesn't have a proven back on their roster, and James, who is about the same age as Jones, really helped them out down the stretch. They stand to lose a lot if they don't have a back.

I think Seattle already has a Thomas Jones on their team, and this would just double them up. Also it would make it more difficult to keep Forsett on the roster for a 3rd down back and kick returner.

Could it be possible that he would go to St. Louis or San Fran? They don't exactly have tons of depth either.

I understand the point about Jones being a former Card, but that was a completely different team, a long time ago, and Jones is a completely different player now. I wouldn't think it was likely he would go back, but I don't think it is that much of a stretch either.

Edited by Seahawks21

He is 31, but in his first four years in the league (he's entering his 10th season), Jones never started more than 9 games or carried more than 138 times in a season. With the injuries he had early on, his body is actually more like that of a slightly younger man. Last year was his best year, behind a good O line and a QB to keep the D honest. He can be productive in the right situation, IMO.

If he only has a year or two left, the cost shouldn't be too high. The Jets are doing the right thing by exploring this option.

The Newark Star-Ledger, citing an unnamed source familiar with the Jets' plans, reports that the Jets are not interested in trading RB Thomas Jones. The National Football Post previously reported that the Jets called an NFC West team about a possible deal with their veteran rusher. Jones' name has been in trade rumors since the offseason.

I actually think Duckett is going to see quite a few carries this year. He has been one of the stars of camp thus far. I just don't see the Jones boys playing together and competing for carries. My thought was Arizona as well.

Well I agree since it's still preseason and all. But when the real games play, Duckett will get plenty of carries to the gatorade.

This ends TJ. His ego is so flipping fragile he couldn't handle the drafting of Benson and has a solid history of holding out halfway through any contract he signs.

If the Jets don't get rid of him, expect another hissy on his part if there are any legs to this rumor...

he's still a nice little player, but the jets have to know the trade market is going to be limited. with that in mind, the fact that they allowed this to even become a story at all tells me they might be prepared to just cut him outright.

This ends TJ. His ego is so flipping fragile he couldn't handle the drafting of Benson and has a solid history of holding out halfway through any contract he signs.

If the Jets don't get rid of him, expect another hissy on his part if there are any legs to this rumor...

i have to disagree that having a player selected 4th overall at your position and being upset about it has anything to do with ego. The dude was drafted to take his job, plain and simple.

i have to disagree that having a player selected 4th overall at your position and being upset about it has anything to do with ego. The dude was drafted to take his job, plain and simple.

And he emotionally folded like a cheap tent when competition was brought in. I never understand the criticism of a team that wants to build depth at a position with a notoriously high turnover rather than criticizing the player for acting like a baby because his job isn't handed to him.

Several reporters in NY have debunked this rumor, with one even guessing that it was his agent, Rosenhaus who put it out there hoping to get some trade interest in Jones going, because he wants a new contract.

Why would the Jets trade the AFC's leading rusher in 2008? To start a rookie like Shon Green in the backfield with either a rookie QB or a very JAG QB like Clemens who also lacks game experience? Ryan has stated many times that he wants to run the ball... alot.

The other part of the rumor also makes little sense... TJ for a 4th rounder? They would probably get a third round pick as compensation should he sign elsewhere next year. The other rumor included D Branch... a guy who can never stay on the field.

It just does not make any sense for the Jets to trade Jones at this juncture.

Rovers, I know you've got a dog in this fight, but it makes absolute sense to trade Jones - IF they are convinced that Washington and Greene will give them the same production.

Jones has a notoriously sour disposition. If Washington and Greene take workload from him, as they are likely to do, he could turn into a really nasty cancer on the team. That's hardly what the Jets need as they try to support a rookie QB in his first year. They also are extremely likely to cut him next year - his cap hit is almost $6M and he'll be 32 yrs old. If they trade him for a 4th rounder, they'll get compensation in next year's draft rather than having to wait for what likely would be a 4th rounder or less as compensation unless he were to produce numbers like he did last year - again, highly unlikely given the circumstances.

I think it comes down to Greene and whether Ryan is convinced he can do the heavy lifting portion of the RB job. To be honest, if I were Ryan and I knew that I had RBs behind Jones wo could give me the same production as a tandem, I'd cut him Jones rather than risk having him tear up a young locker room under a frosh QB too, especially if I could benefit with a midround pick next year in the deal.