[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone here have a Labrador?

Chief Dick

65 lbs for a felame is just slightly above the breed standard. They typically range from 55-100 lbs. I've seen them 120+, but they have a lot of joint problems at that size.

The best indication of age is the teeth. If the look strong and white, the younger the dog. Yellow and decayed teeth indicate an older dog, but that condition can be amplified by neglect - all too common in shelter dogs.

Good luck and enjoy - Labs are fantastic companions and family dogs.

65 lbs for a felame is just slightly above the breed standard. They typically range from 55-100 lbs. I've seen them 120+, but they have a lot of joint problems at that size.

The best indication of age is the teeth. If the look strong and white, the younger the dog. Yellow and decayed teeth indicate an older dog, but that condition can be amplified by neglect - all too common in shelter dogs.

Good luck and enjoy - Labs are fantastic companions and family dogs.

Definitely strong and white. The people from the shelter thought she was about one, but after the weigh in I thought 65 pounds was pretty heavy for a one year old. And she's pretty lean -- no fat on this dog.

Definitely strong and white. The people from the shelter thought she was about one, but after the weigh in I thought 65 pounds was pretty heavy for a one year old. And she's pretty lean -- no fat on this dog.

Most dogs are close to full grown at a year old - with a little muscle mass to put on especially for males.

Get her a couple of toys/balls to retrieve and see if she likes the water. They are very easy to keep happy. Your kids will have a blast playing fetch with her and a tennis ball. :wacko:

Most dogs are close to full grown at a year old - with a little muscle mass to put on especially for males.

Get her a couple of toys/balls to retrieve and see if she likes the water. They are very easy to keep happy. Your kids will have a blast playing fetch with her and a tennis ball. :wacko:

Yeah, that's part of the plan. We camp and fish, so I'm guessing she'll be all over that next summer. Been working with the tennis ball already.

I have a Black Lab named Monkey, was 104, down to 94, he's six. I think he has a little great dane in him. Very tall for a lab. Stubborn as hell but a great dog.

He is also a telepath cause as I typed this he came into the kitchen and sniffed my hole.

Good times. :wacko:

I've got a pretty small chocolate lab....well, she's short but does have a barrel chest and weighs about 80 lbs. There's usually a body composition difference depending on whether its an english lab (shorter, barrel chested) vs american lab (skinny, longer legs). Mine was 65lbs somewhere around 18 months and pretty close to 80 by 2 years. She's 5 now.

My dog is high strung, even for a lab. We have a number of friends with labs which are much more mellow. They will be the most loving and dumbest friends you'll ever have. I took her to work with me for the first year which was great. First time I tried to leave her home, I put her out in the garage and she ate through drywall and insulation to get back into the house. Later I realized that she had never spent more than 5 minutes in the garage and had I just left her in the house (which I did from then on), she would have been just fine. A tired lab is a good lab. As energetic as our dog is, a couple hours of playing with other dogs result in a 36 hour nap.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

Can dog farts smell like fresh ground coffee? We have a tripod lab mix and my wife and I were sitting in the den tonight. I left the room and came back and sat down and we both looked at each other as we got a whiff of fresh smelling ground coffee at the same time. We haven't made coffee in a couple days so it wasn't that and the only thing else in the room was the dog. Very strange, very aromatic, but very strange! :wacko:

We have a black lab. Bigger than yours but ours would be on the heavy side even if she wasn't a little overweight. Bailey is 7and a half. She is a great dog. She loves to play with a ball. Ours did rupture her equivelent of the ACL, when she was about 5 (some could be related to her weight some to the frenzy she would get herself in while playing). If you see her start to limp after some energetic play, take it easy for a while. I hope you enjoy the new pup.

I've got a pretty small chocolate lab....well, she's short but does have a barrel chest and weighs about 80 lbs. There's usually a body composition difference depending on whether its an english lab (shorter, barrel chested) vs american lab (skinny, longer legs). Mine was 65lbs somewhere around 18 months and pretty close to 80 by 2 years. She's 5 now.

My dog is high strung, even for a lab. We have a number of friends with labs which are much more mellow. They will be the most loving and dumbest friends you'll ever have. I took her to work with me for the first year which was great. First time I tried to leave her home, I put her out in the garage and she ate through drywall and insulation to get back into the house. Later I realized that she had never spent more than 5 minutes in the garage and had I just left her in the house (which I did from then on), she would have been just fine. A tired lab is a good lab. As energetic as our dog is, a couple hours of playing with other dogs result in a 36 hour nap.

My current female lab is also strung tightly - flat crazy is more like it. It takes 3 days of hard hunting to get her to think of taking a nap. :wacko: She'll retrieve until your arm is ready to fall off and whine for hours after the game is over. She gets so excited to retrieve stuff she can't phycially hold still. It's obnoxious, but I have to admire her drive. :D When my old lab got tired, he'd retrieve 2-3 birds at a time to save himself trips. Loosie will look to see if I'm watching and want to drop a bird before bringing it all the way in so she can hard charge back out there for another run. She's a good mutt though and does exactly what I tel l her, even when she wants to do the opposite. If labs had opposable thumbs, I'm fairly certain you could train them to drive a car.

We've had Charlie Brown for almost 10 years. Got him from a breeder. He definitely has more English lab in him. Big barrel chest, 100+ lbs. Still a great swimmer. All the great things you'd expect from a lab. We have pictures of each grandkid with him. LOVES to eat. When the vet tells us it's time for him to go I'm going to make him pancakes until he can't move. I imagine it will take about 50 pounds of pancake mix. Good luck with yours CD. You won't regret her. :wacko:

We've had Charlie Brown for almost 10 years. Got him from a breeder. He definitely has more English lab in him. Big barrel chest, 100+ lbs. Still a great swimmer. All the great things you'd expect from a lab. We have pictures of each grandkid with him. LOVES to eat. When the vet tells us it's time for him to go I'm going to make him pancakes until he can't move. I imagine it will take about 50 pounds of pancake mix. Good luck with yours CD. You won't regret her. :wacko:

This should be American Lab. British labs are much smaller. I have a male British Lab and he is only 70 pounds. I am a bit of snob about this, sorry.

If the Vikings hadn't lost, you could see him in my Avy. Rebel is his name and we couldn't ask for a better dog. A hunting machine, but as I type this he is sleep at my feet after eating his breakfast in 2 seconds flat.

Chief, make sure to maintain the weight. Labs that are left to their druthers will eat until they can't move. There is a dog food thread someone here.

I had a chocolate lab for about 4 years before my divorce. He was an awesome dog and ended up around 95 pounds. Best dogs around kids, and as has already been said the dumbest friend you will have :wacko: We had a pond full of ducks and he would haul ass right into it and the ducks and geese would be gone :D

He was 13 when he died 2 years ago

Edited by T_bone65

We've had 2 Labs. As different as day and night.

Hershey (1991-2000)

Chocolate male, 120#'s (He was on diet food from 6 mths old to his death), German Breed (His dad was 130#'s and the mom was 110#'s), who could consume 4 cups of dog food in 45 seconds! :D He ate a chicken carcass tin foil and all, a double whopper w/ cheese(mine off the table), though he left the fries, 1# of fudge (that could kill 5 smaller dogs) and numerous other things off tables. He was tall w/ the head of a lion and a bark that would make you crap your pants. But a true lover. He slept with us in a double bed, 'cept in hot weather. He hated playing fetch, too lazy. He hated water! I put him in my cuz's pool whilst she was in there. Needless to say my cuz still has the scars from him frantically trying to get out. He also hated the car, but that may have been due to my closing the door on his tail and seeing the end of it wagging on the outside a few minutes later. :D The kids in the hood loved him. They would actually ride him and he couldn't careless. He did protect my wife once. I was working and the doorbell rang around 9:00pm. The wife answered the door and had Hersh behind the door and a Greenpeace person was asking for donations. As my wife declined and started to close the door, the "PEACE FREEK" put his foot in the door. The wife grabbed Hersh by the collar, pulled him into the doorway, he barked, and the guy leaped off the stoop and said "OK,OK...Don't sic him on me!!!". :D He had no idea that Hersh would have just licked him to death, but it worked better than a 38 special. Hershey died of uncontrollable diabetes. GOD I loved that dog. He was MY BOY! No offense Cissy (our first dog) as you were MY dog also. :wacko:

Vanilla (1999-Present)

Yellow Female, 72#'s and has been since maturity. Very trim. Wife got her as a transition dog, that is my daughter was moving away and she just wanted/needed HER dog. Nilly was a pup from a neighbor's litter. Nilly can be a very affectionate dog, but she is very leery of strangers, though once she knows you she won't leave you alone. She is even more leery of kids. Mostly, I believe, because on numerous occasions my Mom and I caught the neighborhood kids throwing stones at her and squirting her with water guns. :D She is also leery of other dogs, due mostly to puppy class. At the end of class the trainer had "FREETIME"! And at that point for a reason we never could figure out, all the dogs attacked Nilly! She would try to fight back, but 12 other dogs was overwhelming and after 2 sessions like that we left before "FREETIME". What really pissed me off was the indifference of the trainer! :D Through time we went thru 5 trainers. The last 2 were very good, but it was too late to really make a reversal. Nilly currently has Cushings Disease. No cure, multiple symptoms (she loses control of her bladder at times), back legs are getting weak, and the meds and the tests are very $$$. But she still like her walks, she won't let me get in the car w/o her, though her hind legs don't always cooperate. Some people (yes some here) have said to put her down. But she still eats well, loves her walks/rides, and is very alert (maybe too much). Hard to put down a dog for OUR convenience/$$$, as she is still more a pleasure than a displeasure. We'll know when the time comes.

Hope that helps CD. Labs are great!

This should be American Lab. British labs are much smaller. I have a male British Lab and he is only 70 pounds. I am a bit of snob about this, sorry..

I'm not offended at all. I made my statement based on the above post about British labs having more of a barrel chest. And the fact that Charlie will answer to Cheeves sometimes. :wacko:

Labs are great. Ours was born on April 1st (fitting for this dog) and is 6 and a half now. He was the runt of his litter and is about 105 now (the dad was a hugh dog and the female good sized for a female)

Couldn;t ask for a better dog with the kids, even if they torment him by constantly wanting to play, climb on him, pet him, etc. When he gets frustrated with it, he just sighs loudly, gets up and walks to another room... gives him about 2 minutes of peace till the kids come back.

I'm not offended at all. I made my statement based on the above post about British labs having more of a barrel chest. And the fact that Charlie will answer to Cheeves sometimes. :wacko:

And I'll stand by that statement. Typically, english labs have shorter legs, are barrel chested and have more of a boxed nose. There is nothing in that article that refutes that. All the article points out is based on the author's experience, he has drawn some generalizations. If we were treating the article as rules regarding labs, no lab would ever weigh over 90 lbs. The statement regarding english labs being fox red instead of chocolate is just inaccurate, after all, the AKC recognizes a single breed and no colors other than black, golden or chocolate. All differences between the two lines are a result of breeding and as such, there are no absolute rules...only generalizations.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

Congrats on the new doggie, CD!! I've always had lab mutts from shelter my whole life. 15 years ago, we got the sisters and one is still hanging in there pretty good. She's not fetching or doing much of anything anymore. All of mine have been mutts (I'm not into purebreds for obvious reasons) and have weighed between 45-75 pounds. Hard to say age by weight if it's not purebred. Vet will probably come close.

My current lab is too old to introduce a new pup. But it's taken everything I have not to go up and get Casey. He's the spitting image of Bootsie, who we had to put down a few months back because of hip dysplaxia. That's your main concern is the hips on labs.