[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I hated algebra then, and I still do

Czarina

:wacko:

To be fair, I hated it then because I'm not mathmatically inclined naturally. I did great with Geometry but hated algebra. Teacher made all the difference.

This time around with my son I find that it actually makes sense to me...but my son is a math hater and this is not a fun experience at all. If he was into it, it wouldn't bother me, but this is like trying to drag a donkey down the road.

I had the same problem. I couldn't solve a quadratic equation to save my life and scraped out Cs in both Algebra 1+2. Geometry on the other hand I couldn't believe was an actual class: I would always be the first to finish the tests and never scored below a 95...never touched trig though.

Y'all are weird. :D Algebra was a breeze. Very simple and straightforward. Geometry on the other hand you had to memorize 10 billion why-this-proves-that BS. Root canals were more fun. Trig and even calc wasn't bad either. Well until I got to my party phase of school, after that can't really say :wacko:

Y'all are weird. :D Algebra was a breeze. Very simple and straightforward. Geometry on the other hand you had to memorize 10 billion why-this-proves-that BS. Root canals were more fun. Trig and even calc wasn't bad either. Well until I got to my party phase of school, after that can't really say :wacko:

Root canals get a bad rap in general. I've had only one and need a couple more and to be honest, the one I had was a breeze. Then again so was Algebra and Geometry so I would have difficulty ranking them.

i was always strong in math, science, and languages. good in english (but didn't love it). the subject i had the worst time with was history. the simultaneous timelines always screwed me up. now it is one of my favorite subjects.

Any of you guys that hated it when you went though would not stand a chance in today’s schools that are pushing math. My 7th grader is in a Sci-Tech school and is doing math that I honesty do not think that I ever saw in high school. Math is in some way tied into everything she does at this school. Her art class that she only gets to take for a small part of the year is named Mathematical Concepts in Art for crying out loud. Everything they do in gym is timed, measured, and broken down into mathematical experiments. The little nerds walk around gym class with clipboards and pocket protectors. :wacko:

Any of you guys that hated it when you went though would not stand a chance in today’s schools that are pushing math. My 7th grader is in a Sci-Tech school and is doing math that I honesty do not think that I ever saw in high school. Math is in some way tied into everything she does at this school. Her art class that she only gets to take for a small part of the year is named Mathematical Concepts in Art for crying out loud. Everything they do in gym is timed, measured, and broken down into mathematical experiments. The little nerds walk around gym class with clipboards and pocket protectors. :wacko:

Sounds like a good school.

Teaching a kid algebra is like trying to herd cats. Most of the time, they don't understand WHY they have to do it that way in the beginning, when the answers are simple (e.g. x-3=7). And this isn't just average or below average students, I saw plenty of kids in my A/P classes struggle with it in the beginning. Some peoples minds are just ready for abstract concepts at different times. We're teaching the 9 y/o some basic algebra right now. The 7 y/o probably won't be ready for it until 14. :D People learn differently, and my wife has a saying she picked up somewhere - "Grades are for eggs, not kids." :wacko: I don't know that I'm totally on board with that, but it seems to be working.

+1 The only math class I ever hated was geometry, because it had nothing to do with solving the problem, but with describing how you solve the problem. I'm one of those people that skips two or three steps in my head with just about every math problem, as a result I have really hard time teaching/helping my kids.

:wacko:

To be fair, I hated it then because I'm not mathematically inclined naturally. I did great with Geometry but hated algebra. Teacher made all the difference.

This time around with my son I find that it actually makes sense to me...but my son is a math hater and this is not a fun experience at all. If he was into it, it wouldn't bother me, but this is like trying to drag a donkey down the road.

I'm in the same boat with my 10yo. Helping her with her homework I find now that I can understand a lot better now what was so difficult for me to grasp at her age. I was always a lot better with the physical aspects of math. Unfortunately, she is already displaying the same problems as I had & the same dislike for it. The good thing is, though, is I know exactly how she feels & how to help her learn it. It excites me way more than her when she gets something I'm trying to help her with. She rolls her eyes when I give her hi-fives for figuring a problem out. :D I do dread the algebra years though... I still don't get that crap. :D

Sounds like a good school.

Pardon any offense but I totally disagree. Any school that is so 'specialized' at a such a young age is IMO fundamentally f-ed up. Expose kids to the whole world, then let them 'specialize' as they want later in life. And don't even get me started on "Mathematical Concepts in Art" :gag: How soul sucking can you get? Kinda reminds me of that beginning part to "Dead Poets Society" - wasn't wild about the film actually but loved how Wms ripped on that BS that he had the kids tear out of the book - which it well deserved and I have seen things that ridiculous in school books too.

Again pardon just IMO. I'm sure she'll grow up to be a brilliant rocket scientist or something, just don't agree w/that kind of approach, at least w/that age group. The world is one helluva lot more than mathematics and measuring/dissecting everything into numbers, to say the least, and kids should know it. If school was nothing but math when I was growing up I'd have probably dropped out and made bird houses in shop all day or something. And I was good at math.

BR - I do not disagree with your opinion but there are circumstances that put the kids that get into this school, into this school. Test scores in math have to be way above the norm and if that happens to be an area that you are showing a gift for, then by all means feed it. JMHO And to make things really clear, I did not push her into this school but rather she was very excited and still is about being in a school like this one.

I am also, for the record.

Edited by Skippy

That's great and agree if she has both ability and desire, makes sense. Not a cut n dry "cookie cutter" thing for everyone by any means and not saying you f-ed up or anything. Maybe you can hook her up w/some liberal homo that can keep the artsy part of her kickin. :wacko:

I'm in the same boat with my 10yo. Helping her with her homework I find now that I can understand a lot better now what was so difficult for me to grasp at her age. I was always a lot better with the physical aspects of math. Unfortunately, she is already displaying the same problems as I had & the same dislike for it. The good thing is, though, is I know exactly how she feels & how to help her learn it. It excites me way more than her when she gets something I'm trying to help her with. She rolls her eyes when I give her hi-fives for figuring a problem out. :D I do dread the algebra years though... I still don't get that crap. :wacko:

To be fair, I do think they teach algebra better than they used to. Nick's text is structured in a way that make sense to me. And it has some geometry thrown in there as well.

He got a 90 on the test (you have no idea how remarkable that is). We're a little happy. And we all know more about inequalities than we ever wanted to. :D

To be fair, I do think they teach algebra better than they used to. Nick's text is structured in a way that make sense to me. And it has some geometry thrown in there as well.

He got a 90 on the test (you have no idea how remarkable that is). We're a little happy. And we all know more about inequalities than we ever wanted to. :wacko:

Pocket protector, glasses, and a clip boar in his future. :D

Y'all are weird. :wacko: Algebra was a breeze. Very simple and straightforward. Geometry on the other hand you had to memorize 10 billion why-this-proves-that BS. Root canals were more fun.

+1 I breezed thru algebra but struggled bad with geometry. It probably didn't help that our geometry teacher had a nervous breakdown during the middle of the year.

i was always strong in math, science, and languages. good in english (but didn't love it). the subject i had the worst time with was history. the simultaneous timelines always screwed me up. now it is one of my favorite subjects.

You'd be a great History teacher.