[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1st round upset shocker

keggerz

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Villanova losing would of been a shocker. Vandy not so much, they don't have their "homecourt" advantage on a neutral floor. They have the strangest court I have ever seen.

Yep. Nova losing would've been a shocker. Murray st. was like a 3 point underdog. Their odds of winning was probably over 40%.

Not at all surprised that Georgetown came out flat... I actually thought they would, given what a grueling Big East tournament they had. I AM surprised that they seemed to play the entire game uninspired. Freeman always appears that way, though... never shows much emotion. The rest of the team just appeared to be sort of shell-shocked... I think they simply underestimated Ohio, severely. Ohio's guards were great, running circles around the Hoyas. Villanova played the same way as Georgetown, at least for the first 25-30 minutes... luckily for them, they woke up in time to recover. Georgetown never did appear to wake up, really.

Interesting first day... Plenty of close games, a few upsets (although Old Dominion and Murray State were only upsets on paper). There seem to be more "mid-majors" playing today (NIU, ODU, Butler, UTEP), while the majority of the majors play tomorrow. In fact, all of the Big Ten's five teams play tomorrow, as well as five out of six ACC teams. The Big East and Big 12 are more split, between today and tomorrow. The other thing that I would have to say is that, so far, the West coast teams have outplayed the East coast teams, overall... Washington, St. Mary's, and BYU all won impressive games, while the Big East has looked pathetic. I don't think that's so much the Big East being "overrated" as it is a couple of other things... As I said, I think the conference, as a whole (or at least Gtown, Nova, and Marquette), has underestimated their opponents in this tournament. I also think, given the tough conference schedule and conference tournament, some of the Big East teams might be slightly worn down, mentally as much as physically.

Of course, there are still a couple of West coast teams left to play... The Mountain West conference has a horrible record in this tournament, as of late, so hopefully they can get one more win, between SDSU and New Mexico, to buck the tradition of the past few years.

Biggest surprise for me today was how badly UTEP came unraveled. They led by six at the half, then let the game get completely out of control. Butler is a tough team, but UTEP had the size AND quickness advantage in that game. Didn't matter though, as the Miners played right into Butler's hands, but giving them a ton of open looks from behind the 3-point line. Give a team who is hitting their 3's that many open looks, and it's game over.

Looking forward to tomorrow, particularly the 5-12 matchups. I think Temple and Texas A&M have a good chance at the Elite Eight, but I also wouldn't be THAT surprised to see either of them lose tomorrow, either. I'm also looking forward to seeing how the Big Ten fares... I think they'll do well tomorrow, probably winning 3-4 games, but don't think they'll advance more than 1-2 teams to next weekend.

Lastly, do not be surprised if one of the two remaining 14-seeds wins... Oakland will have a significant size advantage over Pitt tomorrow, and should give them all they can handle. I also think Montana is talented enough, and plays solid enough defense, to keep the game close against New Mexico.

In case anyone is wondering (since I spent so much time sharing my analysis of the field), I'm in a few brackets this year, but my "primary" bracket has the following in the Sweet 16:

Kansas, Michigan State, Georgetown, and Ohio State - Kansas beating OSU

Syracuse, UTEP, Xavier, Kansas State - Syracuse beating KSU

Kentucky, Temple, Washington, West Virginia - West Virginia beating Temple

Duke, Texas A&M, Baylor, Richmond - Baylor beating A&M

That's four Big 12 teams in the Elite Eight. :wacko: I have Kansas beating West Virginia in the final.

So far, I've gotten 9/12 games correct, but the three that I got wrong, I had advancing to the Sweet 16 (Gtown, Richmond, UTEP). I did not, however, have any of the three winning more than two games.

CBS needs to move their score thingy from the top of the screen to the bottom.

Gets in the way of the ball flight. Unacceptable ICDHO.

I'd rather see the press box and the ref's feet :wacko: Good call on that - seems like an easy fix and something obvious to anyone who watches the games.

The whiteys from Northern iowa taught the ghetto boys how to play real basketball. Those guys can shoot and play some good D.

awesome win for UNI and all the little schools - just fantastic all around! the little guys pull up 3 with 30 seconds left on the shot clock was a stone-cold killer

- UW opened a can on UNM and made them look like a high school team - a few things from that game - I can't ever remember an 11 seed FAVORED over a 3 - EVER and where was this team all year? so talented

- Syr or WVU could cut down the nets, but the Big East was overrated all year - not impressed with the showings by GT, Lou and Nova at all.

- UK is gonna be tough to beat