[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I-Pad

Menudo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always an Apple hater. I had Verizon service for 11 years until I bought an iPhone 2 months ago. I don't know how I went through 40 years of life without one now. I am interested in more reviews of the iPad.

Not sure where ton gets his corporate info: I work at a large corporation that uses the Microsoft Exchange server, and the iPads in the building as of yesterday were receiving the emails from said server up to a minute earlier than the PC workstations running outlook at the same station. That tells me it's pretty robust in that area...

good point on exchange ... i was thinking more along the lines of remote access/VPN or any application that is not fully functional with safari as a browser. the better advice here would be to verify that the device will connect to the systems you need to connect to instead of purchasing it and assuming that it can ... should have stated it that way originally.

the iworks stuff can get you by and can open simple documents, but i wouldn't rely on it as the interface application for everything being sent to you from the ms office suite. again, if you already have iworks experience and it does the job for you on your mac in terms of interfacing with others in your company using office, the experience will be the same.

Wow, lots of negativity in here.

I've only been able to play with this thing for like an hour, and I am blown away. Perhaps I am so impressed because I've never owned or played around with an I-Phone or I-Pod Touch. The apps on this thing are impressing the hell out of me, and I've only downloaded a few.....

1.) Netflix - signed in, and now it goes right to my queue, I hit play, and the video instantaneously starts playing. I'm blown away by the video quality and sound. Awesome !!!!

2.) iBooks - Very cool. It only gives you one book by standard, which was Winnie the Pooh, but, the book functionality and crisp colors were very cool. I didn't look at book choices available.

3.) Google Earth - Logged on, it located my location and zoomed in on my house. Very neat....I've always liked Google Earth

4.) Kindle - See iBooks...this is another book viewer that pulls tons of book choices from Amazon.

5.) Facebook - quick and easy way to see updates and update myself if I want to.

6.) Dragon Dictation - for those that don't like to type. You speak and it dictates. However, you have to speak very loud and clear, or it won't work. Probably won't use this much.

7.) IMDB - this was awesome. It used the gps to locate me, and I could click on showtimes to see all local theaters and showtimes, click on tonight's tv, and it gave me tv suggestions for each half hour tonight and showed my local stations showing them. Very cool. :D

8.) Weather Channel - finds your location and give you the weather reports with crisp, colorful graphics

9.) Pandora - Awesome, press the button and it starts playing my music. The sound is very impressive.

10.) Wikipanion - Ipad Wikipedia

Though I agree that I can do all of these things with my laptop, the ease and speed of this thing are awesome. Not to mention how light and mobile it is.

There are a couple of negatives that I've noticed so far. Because it is a touch-screen, the smudges show when the screen goes black. Typing isn't easy on the virtual keyboard, and flash isn't playing (though I saw stuff online that said there are ways around that)

I'm only an hour in, but, I'm thrilled with this thing. It is exactly what I was looking for, and the video and sound were better than I expected. :D:wacko:

By the way, anyone that has an iPhone or iPod touch, please let me know of any cool apps that are out there. I'm afraid that my productivity is going to go down in the next week. :wacko:

By the way, anyone that has an iPhone or iPod touch, please let me know of any cool apps that are out there. I'm afraid that my productivity is going to go down in the next week. :wacko:

MFL actually has an app that gives you score updates of all of your leagues, without specific player details. Probably more convenient on the iPhone.

Words with Friends is a great App that lets you play scrabble with friends. Add me if you want to lose - kpholmes.

Tweetie is the best free Twitter App imo.

BeejiveIM is the best IM app, as it lets you log into all IM clients, including FB and Gmail, and pushes the messages to you like text messages on an iPhone.

WellsFargo if you bank with them.

I have one. Set it up last night and posted from it a few times.

What do you want to know?

My overall opinion of the technology has not changed since getting it: People have been asking me for a while what I think pf the iPad. I tell most of them that I think it is unnecessary and redundant. Indulgent. A toy just to have a toy.

That said, I think that in the right application it has some uses.

Application 1 (obvious) - It's probably the best travel device out there. It does not compete with Kindle really at all as an ebook reader because of the lack of the whole e-paper / e-ink technology which is really easy on the eyes, but then I would not imagine that short term that would be a big deal. Fine as an e-book reader when traveling. I would not want to do all of my reading on the device because I would worry about eye strain. Great as a device to watch video and listen through headphones...say while on a plane or sitting in a car on a long ride. Better than an iPhone/iPod touch because of the screen size. Also a fine iPod in it's own right, albeit not so portable. Great for doing online stuff at a location that has wifi. Try tethering a bluetooth phone to it, maybe you can get 3G that way. iPhone does not support tethering, so I have not tried....but other phones might connect fine to iPad. Great for playing games to pass the time. Screen size and compact form are nice for this.

Lost of uses for iPad in this genre. Most of them are redundant to things people might already have. Does many of them adequately enough to subsitute for another device in certain situations. The only one it does "best" IMO is video.

Application 2: You have a family. You have a Mac (or a PC... *gag* ) at home that everyone shares. People want to use the computer at the same time to look stuff up, email friends, set line-ups, etc. Enter iPad. For the cost of iPad, you get a nice device that people in the family can have (each their own maybe) and do what they want on the house wifi without having to get a laptop. No more fighting over the computer. Maybe not as good at this job as a netbook and a bit more expensive, but prettier and quite frankly harder to screw up. The ability to download apps is nice and allows for low cost task personalization (.ie you buy the apps that suit what you need to do at a low price instead of having to buy expensive software to load into a netbook). Buy enough software versus enough apps and you will save the difference in the hardware between the netbook and the iPad.

Apparently it is so easy even a Caveman (nick) could do it.

Edited by tosberg34

One thing I did read is that the iPhone apps aren't as crisp on the ipad due to screen size.

As for Apps -

my- weather by garmin is pretty good, more accurate and up to date than the weather channel app.

Scorecenter by ESPN

SI

Wikipanion

Google voice

urbanspoon

eBay, paypal, and amazon

The model of interaction with the iPad is to be a "consumer," what William Gibson memorably described as "something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth... no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote."

yep that sounds like tonorator :wacko:

The model of interaction with the iPad is to be a "consumer," what William Gibson memorably described as "something the size of a baby hippo, the color of a week-old boiled potato, that lives by itself, in the dark, in a double-wide on the outskirts of Topeka. It's covered with eyes and it sweats constantly. The sweat runs into those eyes and makes them sting. It has no mouth... no genitals, and can only express its mute extremes of murderous rage and infantile desire by changing the channels on a universal remote."

yep that sounds like tonorator :D

hey! i'm not from topeka ...

:wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

This thing is awesome !! I'm completely happy with my purchase. Tonight, I'm on my deck and using SoundHound to randomly pick songs from my library and it loads live performances it grabs off of YouTube for each song. Last night, I watched "Hot Tub Time Machine" on my Ipad. This thing rocks !! :wacko: For those on the fence, don't let the naysayers sway you away....this thing is awesome !

This thing is awesome !! I'm completely happy with my purchase. Tonight, I'm on my deck and using SoundHound to randomly pick songs from my library and it loads live performances it grabs off of YouTube for each song. Last night, I watched "Hot Tub Time Machine" on my Ipad. This thing rocks !! :wacko: For those on the fence, don't let the naysayers sway you away....this thing is awesome !

I'll probably get one once version 2.0 comes out. I'm practically glued to my iphone so something bigger will help the eyes. :tup:

You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor

Weather Bug Elite

iBird pro (expensive but cool)

Pocket Tunes (Stream any online radio content including Stern and NFL Radio if you have Sirius)

DVR Scheduler (If you have Directv DVR)

Flixster

Shazam is cool

Redlaser (Interesting app that should get more comprehensive)

Games:

Field Runners (Very fun)

Zombieville (Same)

Weather Bug Elite

iBird pro (expensive but cool)

Pocket Tunes (Stream any online radio content including Stern and NFL Radio if you have Sirius)

DVR Scheduler (If you have Directv DVR)

Flixster

Shazam is cool

Redlaser (Interesting app that should get more comprehensive)

Games:

Field Runners (Very fun)

Zombieville (Same)

Just downloaded Pocket Tunes & DVR Scheduler.....both are great ! Thanks. :wacko:

Great app!

I was extremely annoyed when I downloaded the Sirius player and noticed that Stern & NFL were missing......problem solved !!! :wacko: