[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In the market for a mid sized pickup

Kid Cid

So it looks like I'm going to have to break down and get myself a mid sized pickup. Mostly for hauling small stuff from Lowes or to the dump, has to be able to hand a relatively rough road up to the winery and needs to be comfortable enough to take on extended camping trips. I haven't looked at pickups for over 20 years so I'm just now starting my research. What are your guy's thoughts on what's out there and worthwhile?

Mid Sized means Ranger, Tacoma, Colorado, etc? Budget in mind? Will this be your main vehicle? What kind of payload and/or towing do you want? New? Used?

All of the above, and I would suggest you look at full-sized. In this economy, there might be $3K difference, and you'll get most of that back in size and comfort, IMO. And usually a full-sized truck only uses 2-3 MPG more.

All of the above, and I would suggest you look at full-sized. In this economy, there might be $3K difference, and you'll get most of that back in size and comfort, IMO. And usually a full-sized truck only uses 2-3 MPG more.

+1 on looking at the full sized option. You may even get better gas mileage in certain situations.

I've Driven Chevy S-10/Colorado, 1500, 2500, Not big Fan.

The Ford Ranger I last drove in 93, pretty good truck.

GMC Sierra 1500 Not Bad.

Toyota Tacoma, I like VEY MUCH

Toyota Tundra, Not a better Truck to be found

Ford F-150, 250, 350 Not Bad at all.

Dodge Ram 1500 (2010) HATE IT!!!!!

Nissan Titan, test drove and liked the Tundra better.

All but the ranger I have driven a 2007 or newer.

With the current Chevies and Fords having Flex Fuel, you can get pretty good mileage. But there are disadvantages to having a bigger truck. I find that I am limited in where I can go/park.

SEC=UGA must work for consumer reports.

My first vehciel was a 1979 Ford F100. Wish I still had that truck. :wacko:

lol. Own a construction company. We Own F-150's, F-250's, F-350's, GMC Sierra 1500, Chevy 2500, Chevy 3500's, Dodge 1500, Tundra, Tacoma, and a Colorado.

One thing about the Jap trucks, they are not built for bigger guys. My dad, 6'2", 255, complains my Tundra is too small, seat doesn't go back far enough. I'm 5'10" 180 and have no problems, though.

Gas Mileage in the Tundra isn't stellar, either. About 14.5 MPG combined highway/city. But the damn thing is comfortable and drives like a dream. There is another option, if you're not hauling alot, you can get the Tundra w. a V6 or small V8.

Edited by SEC=UGA

Nissan Frontier by far...you won't need to look for another pick-up for 20 more years.

If you want the camper already attached try the Nissan Xterra...it's built on the Frontier bed.

I hope the newer Frontiers get better gas mileage. I love mine, but it sucks gas as bad as a full-sized V8.

I bought a low-option used 2007 Chevy Silverado with low mileage. It had to have the 8 foot bed...you should get the big bed. It is awesome. Always enough room for anything. It was just as cheap as a moderately optioned mid-sized. I have no power windows, locks or 4 wheel drive...just more crap to break on my simple truck. It does have cruise control, a/c and the towing package. I plan on keeping it until it rusts to pieces.

That 8 foot bed is sweet. Don't rule it out so quickly.

I drove Rangers for about 18 years, and I never had a problem with them. Solid truck in my opinion.

And while the full-size option may be something you can look at, I never went that route largely due to the fact I really didn't want/need a full size truch anymore. At least not for what I needed a truck for. Someone else made a good point about accessibility in smaller areas with the full sze as well. To each their own though.

I wasn't planning on towing anything with it and gas mileage is not something I'm particularly concerned with. I am concerned with durability and longevity. I want this to be something I'll own until I die if I can (I think that of all my vehicles though). Absolutely not necessary to buy something new, used is fine if it was taken care of. No 4WD though, For the most part, I don't see the need for it.

If interior space is an issue then yeah, I'll definitely look at a full size. I'm 6'1" and 225, I don't like driving with my legs cramped. The last pickup I owned was a '83 Chevy Scottsdale and it was about 3 inches too short on leg room. Drove me nuts on longer trips.

It will most likely be a secondary vehicle for me, I'll be spitting time between this and the Vette.

And you are correct Twiley, no Vegas this year. :wacko:

I'm on my second Tacoma and love it. We take it on a lot of long trips and it hasn't given me a hiccup. Also has decent hauling capacity, I load it with a yard of topsoil or a good sized load of landscape stone without any issues.

To echo what's been said above, that Nissan truck runs like a striped-assed ape, but it won't pass a gas station. The Toyota is solid, but they did have valvetrain problems with the V8 in 07 or 08 and Consumer reports de-listed them from "recommended buy" status. Of all the full-size, the Dodge will be the cheapest. Note I said cheapest, not least expensive. I've heard they're transmission problems are fixed and the engines have been pretty dependable, but it's the other stuff that's gonna nickel and dime you to death. Brakes wear quickly, rotors, front-end parts, and they'll chew up tires, no matter how well you keep them rotated.

Personally, if gas doesn't matter, look for a 2-3 y/o Titan with the big V-8, then the Ford, then the Toyota, then Chevy (for full size). In mid-size the Ranger is MUCHO dependable, but it's the smallest truck in it's class. If you buy one you'll want an extended cab with the 4.0 V-6. The Tacoma or Frontier either one is a bigger truck, but damndably pricey, especially in V-6 form. I'd advise you not to even consider the Colorado, because they are plain junk.

I hope the newer Frontiers get better gas mileage. I love mine, but it sucks gas as bad as a full-sized V8.

I've got an '09 xTerra and it gets about 19 MPG on the highway...pulling my boat behind it though is about the equivalent of what the boat gets which is about 8-10 MPG if I don't hit too many waves.

And I'm 6'4 and have no problems at all fitting into the xTerras or Frontiers...

To echo what's been said above, that Nissan truck runs like a striped-assed ape, but it won't pass a gas station. The Toyota is solid, but they did have valve train problems with the V8 in 07 or 08 and Consumer reports de-listed them from "recommended buy" status. Of all the full-size, the Dodge will be the cheapest. Note I said cheapest, not least expensive. I've heard they're transmission problems are fixed and the engines have been pretty dependable, but it's the other stuff that's gonna nickel and dime you to death. Brakes wear quickly, rotors, front-end parts, and they'll chew up tires, no matter how well you keep them rotated.

Personally, if gas doesn't matter, look for a 2-3 y/o Titan with the big V-8, then the Ford, then the Toyota, then Chevy (for full size). In mid-size the Ranger is MUCHO dependable, but it's the smallest truck in it's class. If you buy one you'll want an extended cab with the 4.0 V-6. The Tacoma or Frontier either one is a bigger truck, but damnably pricey, especially in V-6 form. I'd advise you not to even consider the Colorado, because they are plain junk.

My problem with the Rangers is that unless you get the V-6 you might as well be buying a car because otherwise it won't haul worth a darn. If you're going to up for the V-6 then you might as well get a better truck with the Frontier. As for the Tacoma's I don't know as much about, but they don't look very roomy inside.

Edited by rajncajn

I bought a 2009 F 150. I use it for towing a trailer in my landscaping biz. Extremely happy with this truck, but the gas milage is a drawback, maybe 18 highway, 12 in town, 11 when towing. I got the one with a full back seat, but only a "half" door instead of the full 4 door. It will seat 4 adults VERY comfortably on a long trip. Since it is my only vehicle, it works out well for me. I got the mid sized bed. No 4WD, don't need it and that saves a LOT of $ but hurts resale value. Also cheaper to own a 2WD with limited slip differential than a 4WD if you plan on keeping it for a long time.

I used to drive Chevy's. never again. I really like this truck. It drives like a luxury car, but has the beefed up suspension. Handles and drives like a charm. Plenty of power, and decently fast for getting on the highway.

My problem with the Rangers is that unless you get the V-6 you might as well be buying a car because otherwise it won't haul worth a darn. If you're going to up for the V-6 then you might as well get a better truck with the Frontier. As for the Tacoma's I don't know as much about, but they don't look very roomy inside.

Yeah, what I said to begin with. KC is probably better off with a full-size truck of any flavor but Dodge, and if he got the Ranger he'd definitely want the 4.0 V-6 and extended cab. :wacko:

I bought a 2009 F 150. I use it for towing a trailer in my landscaping biz. Extremely happy with this truck, but the gas milage is a drawback, maybe 18 highway, 12 in town, 11 when towing. I got the one with a full back seat, but only a "half" door instead of the full 4 door. It will seat 4 adults VERY comfortably on a long trip. Since it is my only vehicle, it works out well for me. I got the mid sized bed. No 4WD, don't need it and that saves a LOT of $ but hurts resale value. Also cheaper to own a 2WD with limited slip differential than a 4WD if you plan on keeping it for a long time.

I used to drive Chevy's. never again. I really like this truck. It drives like a luxury car, but has the beefed up suspension. Handles and drives like a charm. Plenty of power, and decently fast for getting on the highway.

Yeah, the 2004-up Fords have a fully boxed frame with the most rigid ladder bars in the industry. That's a freakin' truck you can totally abuse. Oh, and Rovers, the Nissan Titan won't due better than 16 hwy.

I've had a Ford Ranger for 10 years. While I generally don't have many bad things to say about it, I wish I would have sprung for the F-150. It's a V-6 but feels like a V-4. Pretty weak in the engine department. But she's been a real good truck.

SEC=UGA must work for consumer reports.

My first vehciel was a 1979 Ford F100. Wish I still had that truck. :tup:

My first truck was also a '79 Ford - also wish I still had it. Beautiful body and totally pumped up 400 = serious :wacko:

In mid-size the Ranger is MUCHO dependable, but it's the smallest truck in it's class. If you buy one you'll want an extended cab with the 4.0 V-6. The Tacoma or Frontier either one is a bigger truck, but damndably pricey, especially in V-6 form. I'd advise you not to even consider the Colorado, because they are plain junk.

All good info. I drove a Ranger for about 8 years and it was a great little truck - totally reliable.