[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How are you cooling off this summer ?

whomper

Keeping cool  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How are you cooling off this summer ?

• Beach
    • Town Pool
    • Home Pool
    • Water parks
    • Sprinkler
    • Puddy

So how are you keeping cool this summer ? For the most part we are doing it by going to the town pool. We have one of those inflatible pools for the yard that we use on occasion but we enjoy the town pool a lot. It closes at 8. My kids like me to take them almost every weeknight. I basically get home , inhale dinner and hop in the car to the pool and we get a good hour in of quality time. My wife takes them during the day a lot too. We go to the jersey shore for our vacation for a week which is when we get some beach time.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be check boxes...

We typically spend a lot of time at the beach, but worry too much now about the kids getting in the water. This year we bought season passes to a water park and go there a lot. The in-laws also have a pool and live 2 doors down.

ETA: This past weekend we also set the sprinkler out on the trampoline for the kids while we worked in the yard. They had a blast. :wacko:

Edited by rajncajn

I bought one of those 15' round pools (tubular frame with soft sides) and set it up every summer off the deck. $150 at the time, I have used it now 3 years. My little ones spend hours in it every day. Not sure how many more years I will get out of it, it's only 42" deep, but for now, they love it.

They're trying to talk me into a waterpark trip this month. Haven't been in a couple years. Those places are ridiculously expensive now.

Why no Air Conditioning option?

This is strictly a water related poll. Oldsters that stay in the AC and watch Matlock marathons all summer may not have a voting option

We're about 90 minutes from the Delaware shore and we've been twice so far. First time was too hot to really enjoy it but we just went Sunday with my parents and didn't want to leave. The late afternoon sun and breeze soothe the soul, and the eye candy stirs the trunks. The water is just warm enough to enjoy now too.

Why no Air Conditioning option?

I spent $499 on an air conditioner for the bedroom. My heat pump just wasn't cooling the house down enough on these 100 degree days/80 degree nights for my comfort. I don't know what I enjoy more...the coolness or the white noise. I'm a very light sleeper and that fan thing running all night is awesome. It washes out the dogs licking, drinking water, eating a snack of food, etc, etc. Awesome. I may leave it running throughout the wintertime. :wacko:

I sit naked on my deck, feet in a bucket of ice water and a pedestal fan blowing on me. Between the ice and the fan evaporating my sweat, I stay pretty cool.

Should be check boxes...

We typically spend a lot of time at the beach, but worry too much now about the kids getting in the water. This year we bought season passes to a water park and go there a lot. The in-laws also have a pool and live 2 doors down.

ETA: This past weekend we also set the sprinkler out on the trampoline for the kids while we worked in the yard. They had a blast. :wacko:

My now 14 year old step-daughter broke the talus bone in her ankle 5 years ago on a trampoline. It was a bit of a freak accident where she was waiting her turn on the side and a bigger kid was jumping. I had a strict no "popcorn" rule. The break was in the middle downwards (sagittally) like is seen in car accidents when the floor board crushes your feet. The local branch of Univeristy Hospitals Cleveland didn't even know what to do, so we ended up at UH Rainbow downtown. She's had 8+ surgeries since then and will never be the same. Grow plates shut down, Arthritis, chronic pain, etc.... Not trying to be a wacko, but be careful with the trampolines. I would not wish what happened to my daughter on anyone. The doctors were saying that trampoline injuries are the #2 reason for ER visits in children after bicycle accidents. Base on the sheer number of kids riding bikes, that's a pretty significant stat.

My now 14 year old step-daughter broke the talus bone in her ankle 5 years ago on a trampoline. It was a bit of a freak accident where she was waiting her turn on the side and a bigger kid was jumping. I had a strict no "popcorn" rule. The break was in the middle downwards (sagittally) like is seen in car accidents when the floor board crushes your feet. The local branch of Univeristy Hospitals Cleveland didn't even know what to do, so we ended up at UH Rainbow downtown. She's had 8+ surgeries since then and will never be the same. Grow plates shut down, Arthritis, chronic pain, etc.... Not trying to be a wacko, but be careful with the trampolines. I would not wish what happened to my daughter on anyone. The doctors were saying that trampoline injuries are the #2 reason for ER visits in children after bicycle accidents. Base on the sheer number of kids riding bikes, that's a pretty significant stat.

I hear ya... I grew up with a trampoline and know too well how easy it is to get injured on one. Luckily none of ours were very serious, although I did break my cousin's arm once. :wacko: Surprising too given the "stunts" we used to pull off on those things. The one we bought has the safety net & we always monitor the kids & make them to chill out when they're getting too rough.

I hear ya... I grew up with a trampoline and know too well how easy it is to get injured on one. Luckily none of ours were very serious, although I did break my cousin's arm once. :wacko: Surprising too given the "stunts" we used to pull off on those things. The one we bought has the safety net & we always monitor the kids & make them to chill out when they're getting too rough.

Times have changed, for sure. I never wore a helmet on a bike and we jumped on a friend's trampoline that was a huge rectangle actually mounted in the ground, it was ridiculous how high we got. Double flips, etc. Surprised I never broke anything. Now my kids can't use a trampoline and I force them to wear helmets.

A little of everything here. We hit the local lake a lot - there is a nice beach there and water coming into the lake is nice and cold. We also got annual passes to the local water park. The wading pool and slip & slide are well used in the back yard. I have misters on the patio and that helps too.

You people must be rich. Swimming pools, lakes, trampolines. I remember when I was a kid and my Dad would spit in the air and you'd run under it. Sure, you smelled like chewing tobacco and Busch Lite the rest of the day but you cooled down pretty good. Especially after a nice long ride in the back of the pick-up truck. Sure, you were really tired and hot again after the hours of walking finding your way back home, but you got out of the basement and saw daylight.

Bunch of showoffs.

I spent $499 on an air conditioner for the bedroom. My heat pump just wasn't cooling the house down enough on these 100 degree days/80 degree nights for my comfort. I don't know what I enjoy more...the coolness or the white noise. I'm a very light sleeper and that fan thing running all night is awesome. It washes out the dogs licking, drinking water, eating a snack of food, etc, etc. Awesome. I may leave it running throughout the wintertime. :wacko:

not to hyjack a thread but I am alot like you and I purchased a whitenoise maker and I get the BEST sleep with it all year round. You should look into it.

not to hyjack a thread but I am alot like you and I purchased a whitenoise maker and I get the BEST sleep with it all year round. You should look into it.

Hmmm, googles white noise maker. Never heard of such a thing. I'll definitely look into it! :wacko:

You people must be rich. Swimming pools, lakes, trampolines. I remember when I was a kid and my Dad would spit in the air and you'd run under it. Sure, you smelled like chewing tobacco and Busch Lite the rest of the day but you cooled down pretty good. Especially after a nice long ride in the back of the pick-up truck. Sure, you were really tired and hot again after the hours of walking finding your way back home, but you got out of the basement and saw daylight.

Bunch of showoffs.

:tup:

In Texas so it's hot ... AC from 4-7 pm, definately. V8 Splash strawberry kiwi with Vodka if I have to be by the pool :wacko: