[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pretty scared right now

Sugar Magnolia

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my daughter went through cancer treatment starting at 15, the waiting was the hardest part. The first thing I'd advise is not to research a lot on the internet and stay away from statistics. There was so much to deal with, I just listened to her doctors and prayed a lot. Before every test or treatment, I always told her that worrying about the result wasn’t going to change it, and in the mean time we wouldn’t deal with bad news until we had to. That was the luxury of not knowing, which was we didn’t know the news was worse than what we already knew. We’d watch a lot of comedy and laugh as much as possible. I highly suggest Jim Gaffigan (King Baby and Beyond the Pale)
and Brian Regan (all the DVD’s). We would also do art, like go to the local ceramic shop and paint things. I guess the advice is to insist you aren’t going to deal with bad news until you have to, and right now you don’t have to, so laugh a lot and take solace in that. Prayers sent.

Thanks so much Thews. You are advising the same as everyone else, but you said it so eloquently.

More positive vibes coming your way Sugar. I can't imagine what you may be going through, but I truly appreciate your willingness to share.

Of course being FF season, submerging yourself in a few leagues can't hurt. We've got some drafts coming up. :wacko:

The first thing I'd advise is not to research a lot on the internet and stay away from statistics. There was so much to deal with, I just listened to her doctors and prayed a lot. Before every test or treatment, I always told her that worrying about the result wasn’t going to change it, and in the mean time we wouldn’t deal with bad news until we had to. That was the luxury of not knowing, which was we didn’t know the news was worse than what we already knew. We’d watch a lot of comedy and laugh as much as possible.
This is fantastic advice.

Thanks everyone--I do have 4 timed timed re-drafts, and one slow dynasty draft to keep me distracted. :wacko:

Here's the monkey wrench--they changed my biospy surgery from 9/13 to 10/4 w/o much explanation. I have been assured from

numerous sources that endometrial cancer is slow growing and 3 weeks is no big deal, but it is 3 more weeks of worrying, then the 7-10 days to follow waiting for the biospy results.

Whether it is cancer or not, there is a 2 out of 3 chance I will have to have a hysterectomy (if it is cancer or "pre-cancer"). A diagnosis of polyps will be the best outcome. I am a fitness nut these days, but lack of sleep and stress have been just draining me, and I have had no energy. I haf not exercised in a week. If I do need a hysterectomy my recovery will be faster if I am fit, especially in the area of the surgery (abdominal). After running 30 minutes today, including running stairs two at a time, and doing walking power lunges, I then did 250 ab crunches :tup: Yesterday I ran 6 miles in 93 degrees and ran stairs as well (visiting my mom in Cincinnati, OH and there are no mtns to run up). I am trying as much as I can to do things to help myself, instead of dwelling on self destructive thought. It's hard for me though since I am a pessimist by nature. The endorphins ignited by the exercise has helped me. While here in Ohio, husband took it upon himself to call the doc back in Oregon for some xanax to help me sleep. I'm not sure how much I will take, since I know if you start to rely on drugs to help you sleep, you may not be able to get to sleep w/o it.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

Thanks everyone--I do have 4 timed timed re-drafts, and one slow dynasty draft to keep me distracted. :wacko:

Here's the monkey wrench--they changed my biospy surgery from 9/13 to 10/4 w/o much explanation. I have been assured from

numerous sources that endometrial cancer is slow growing and 3 weeks is no big deal, but it is 3 more weeks of worrying, then the 7-10 days to follow waiting for the biospy results.

Whether it is cancer or not, there is a 2 out of 3 chance I will have to have a hysterectomy (if it is cancer or "re-cancer"). A diagnosis of polyps will be the best outcome. I am a fitness nut these days, but lack of sleep and stress have been just draining me, and I have had no energy. I haf not exercised in a week. If I do need a hysterectomy my recovery will be faster if I am fit, especially in the area of the surgery (abdominal). After running 30 minutes today, including running stairs two at a time, and doing walking power lunges, I then did 250 ab crunches :tup: Yesterday I ran 6 miles in 93 degrees and ran stairs as well (visiting my mom in Cincinnati, OH and there are no mtns to run up). I am trying as much as I can to do things to help myself, instead of dwelling on self destructive thought. It's hard for me though since I am a pessimist by nature. The endorphins ignited by the exercise has helped me. While here in Ohio, husband took it upon himself to call the doc back in Oregon for some xanax to help me sleep. I'm not sure how much I will take, since I know if you start to rely on drugs to help you sleep, you may not be able to get to sleep w/o it.

Sugar,

If your surgeon isn't performing the surgery (or hysterectomy, for that matter) laproscopically, then you should find one that does. My wife had a laproscopic hysterectomy (due to fibroids) and was walking the same day. She healed much quicker by a factor of ten than our friends who have had the old procedure. Surgeons who perform the hysterectomy that old-fashioned way (cutting across the stomach muscles) should be shot. It just isn't necessary any more.

I can pass you the name of our doctor in St. Louis who is a leader in the field, his office may know of peers where you live.

Sugar,

If your surgeon isn't performing the surgery (or hysterectomy, for that matter) laproscopically, then you should find one that does. My wife had a laproscopic hysterectomy (due to fibroids) and was walking the same day. She healed much quicker by a factor of ten than our friends who have had the old procedure. Surgeons who perform the hysterectomy that old-fashioned way (cutting across the stomach muscles) should be shot. It just isn't necessary any more.

I can pass you the name of our doctor in St. Louis who is a leader in the field, his office may know of peers where you live.

I believe if I don't have cancer that would be how it would be done. I think they would have to go in through the abdomen if it was cancer to explore whether it is contained or not. I could be wrong, but certainly I would have it done laproscopically if it was a non-cancerous procedure. Thanks.

When my wife gets home I will ask her if this is the same story as she went though earlier this year. It sure sounds the same but hers ended up being polyps that turned out to be no big deal.

I am thinking of you Sugar and I will check with her later today to see if it is the same story and if she can add anything to this.

Okay this is what my wife said.

For her it was pretty much the same story but when the tested her they gave her some sort of ranking that was low. It ended up being endometrosis(sp) and because of the low ranking they were able to scape it out. She says that she went through a lot thinking the worst but did a ton of research at the time and found that it is actually pretty common. Right now one of my 20 year olds best friends is waiting for the same test. Hang in there and think positive. Things will be fine.

Okay this is what my wife said.

For her it was pretty much the same story but when the tested her they gave her some sort of ranking that was low. It ended up being endometrosis(sp) and because of the low ranking they were able to scape it out. She says that she went through a lot thinking the worst but did a ton of research at the time and found that it is actually pretty common. Right now one of my 20 year olds best friends is waiting for the same test. Hang in there and think positive. Things will be fine.

Thanks. I think endometriosis has been ruled out (I think) because of my age and history of not having this issue when younger.

• 2 weeks later...