[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How Did You Become A Fan Of Your Team?

devi0us

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That didn't happen. Only the cool kids could do that then. :wacko:

I find it impossible to believe that the great Big John could have been anything less than one of the cool kids. It must have been the rich kids whose parents PAID so their kids could do it.

Grew up watching both the Giants and Jets with my dad. I always remembered him as being primarily a Giants fan, but in retrospect I don't think that's true. I think I ended up on the Giants side for two reasons.

The first is that at the time, they were the more exciting team to watch. Jet games were too slow for a youngster.

Second, and more interestingly IMO, due to either our TV reception (bunny ears) or actual network differences, I remember the color in Giant games as always being much more vivid. Working now in television & communication design, I know this probably had a big effect on how I viewed the teams.

I became more involved in the Jets when Parcells took over in the 90s. He even had me pulling for the Pats when he was in NE, but I had no allegiance to them when he left, unlike the Jets.

Born in Brooklyn and my dad has been a fan since the Sam Huff days. The first year I started paying attention was the 3-12-1 season. It was a great 3 year stretch watching them go from that to World Champions. And the rest is Big Blue history.

I was 8 years old and the Dolphins and Redskins were playing in the SB. My mother was always a Dolphins fan so I was rooting for them in this game. I made a $2 bet with a family friend of my parents as I was positive that my mother's team could never lose. As history shows the Dolphins did lose this game to the Washington Redskins. I remember being so upset that the team I bet on lost. As a kid I couldn't believe that my mother's team lost. My Dad slipped me the $2 to pay off my bet. From that day on I said if this team is good enough to beat my mom's team they were the team that I would root for, and the rest is history. Never wavered from that day on even though the Skins got smoked by the Raiders in the following SB. Hail To The Redskins!!!

English born and bred, but my old man worked in Buffalo for just over a year from late 2001. I had no interest in US sports to date, but he would often tell me about how great he was finding NFL out there, which induced me to watch my first ever Super Bowl in Feb 2002. On the backdrop of 9/11, and with the Patriots winning, I instantly fell in love with the game...and developed something of a soft spot for the Patriots.

Took my school summer break, plus just over a month of the new school year, later that year and went to live with him for a few months. With no friends as such out there at first, I took to following US sports and re-runs of Diff'rent Strokes to keep me entertained. Foolishly, I opted to adopt the Bills as my team rather than stick with the Patriots, and i've been pulling my hair out ever since...

Briefly met Joe Namath when I was 12 as he was leaving a restaurant in NYC. In the terminology of the day, he was the coolest cat I ever met. Fur coat, georgous blonde on his arm, got into a limo. He said "Hey kid!" Two years later, he made the garuantee.

I was 8 years old and the Dolphins and Redskins were playing in the SB. My mother was always a Dolphins fan so I was rooting for them in this game. I made a $2 bet with a family friend of my parents as I was positive that my mother's team could never lose. As history shows the Dolphins did lose this game to the Washington Redskins. I remember being so upset that the team I bet on lost. As a kid I couldn't believe that my mother's team lost. My Dad slipped me the $2 to pay off my bet. From that day on I said if this team is good enough to beat my mom's team they were the team that I would root for, and the rest is history. Never wavered from that day on even though the Skins got smoked by the Raiders in the following SB. Hail To The Redskins!!!

I saw that game. I was about 10 years old. The Dolphins won 14-7 over the Skins and completed the only perfect season. Your mother's team never lost that season. Someone has told you a terrible lie.