[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Horrible Call/Rule in Lions Game

ThatDude

I don't think that is true ... it is my understanding that a WR has to complete the play ... that means maintaining control of the ball all the way to the ground.

They had the head of officials, Mike Pereria, on right after the play, answering questions from Brennamen and Billick. They got close, but never asked him that direct question. From how I've seen calls made before, I believe my interpretation is right. Hopefully some light can be shed on this situation. Big John?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that is true ... it is my understanding that a WR has to complete the play ... that means maintaining control of the ball all the way to the ground.

I understand that rule, but I thought that was only for non-touchdown catches, as once the ball passes the goal line it's a touchdown.

Which is exactly what he did. It was the act of slamming the ball to the turf that forced it out.

Here is the deal ... you can't leave the call in the hands of the officials. He has to FINISH the play AND THEN celebrate. The ref.s aren't going to try to figure out WHY the ball came out on the ground ... they just see it come out. Megatron made a stupid mistake.

Whether or not the rule makes sense is entirely a different topic ... fact is the rule exists and the players have to be aware of them.

Right call.

Horrible rule, but the call was correct as the rule is concerned.

Exactly. Stoopid rule and inconsistent w/ how an RB would be judged, but it's a rule.

If he tucks the ball away, they win.

BS rule, but it's a rule.

I understand that rule, but I thought that was only for non-touchdown catches, as once the ball passes the goal line it's a touchdown.

Once the ball crosses the plane it is a touchdown ... as long as the player has control of the ball prior to crossing the plane. Cases where the ball is thrown into the endzone the player has to establish control of the ball ALL THE WAY TO THE GROUND.

They had the head of officials, Mike Pereria, on right after the play, answering questions from Brennamen and Billick. They got close, but never asked him that direct question. From how I've seen calls made before, I believe my interpretation is right. Hopefully some light can be shed on this situation. Big John?

Yep, all the way even if he would be down under any other circumstances.

Once the ball crosses the plane it is a touchdown ... as long as the player has control of the ball prior to crossing the plane. Cases where the ball is thrown into the endzone the player has to establish control of the ball ALL THE WAY TO THE GROUND.

that's a double standard, Johnson had possession and both feet in, that's a touchdown.

Good point. And you are right. And personally, I believed he did. But it would not have killed him to hang on to it after hitting the ground which I believe he could have. But anyways, what's done is done.

His feet, knee, legs, butt, and other hand were on the ground.  The ball didn't come out of his hand until it, too, hit the ground.  At what point is "all the way to the ground?"

Peace

policy

His feet, knee, legs, butt, and other hand were on the ground.  The ball didn't come out of his hand until it, too, hit the ground.  At what point is "all the way to the ground?"

Peace

policy

It looks like a TD to me too ... my point is that players have to be smart and not give the ref.s the opportunity to make a call. If Calvin simply holds onto the ball there is no question.