[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Whats the deal with some huddlers?

ajfalcone

Congratulations! You are one of the first people I have ever seen on an internet message board to listen to a different point of view presented concisely and actually change their mind! You are one of the rare people in our society that has an open mind. you are to be commended sir!

Bli9nd bidding is awesome, but at least a waiver run on Tuesday or Wednesday with a waiver priority in inverse order of standings makes things much fairer for the whole league.

:tup: rare on these boards. Can we still bash him though ? :grabstorch: © Timc

:wacko:

Edited by whomper

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how we do it in Dash-4:

By way of example:

Legal Bid

drop favre - add manning $25

drop mcnabb - add bulger $25

drop owens - add moss $34

Illegal Bid

drop favre - add manning $25

drop favre - add bulger $25 (If I'm outbid on manning)

drop favre - add moss $25 (If I'm outbid on bulger)

Why is the second group illegal? You can't make conditional bids? That's seems wrong.

4. A team may bid on as many players a week as they want as long as they don't run out of cap money, and don’t exceed their roster limit of 18. Should a team make several bids with a combined total of more than they have left, all bids for that week will become null and void. (i.e. if you have $30 left you can't make a $17 and $14 bid). Once you spend all your cap money you cannot pick up any more players No Exceptions!!! So bid wisely!!!

It would seem you should be able to BID using too much money, but just not be able to win a bid after the money is gone.

Guess there are arguments for and against many types of bidding routines!

Why is the second group illegal? You can't make conditional bids? That's seems wrong.

It would seem you should be able to BID using too much money, but just not be able to win a bid after the money is gone.

Agree with BeachBum in that I would really dislike a bid system that did not allow for conditional bids (and by extension making bids that take a team over the amount they have to spend), but, as stated several times, so long as all owners know what they are getting in to ahead of time, it's all good.

I'm not talking about a rolling waiver order, I'm talking about how they have waivers set up on an individual player basis. If Player a is dropped Tursday, he is on waivers for two days then goes to be a FA and available for FCFS pickups.

Bascially they are FCFS at all times except for recently dropped players. Like you said, they allow different settings in custom leagues, but in the league I was in that went with them last year and one my wife is in this year, this appears to be the default (granted, I am not a commish nor setup either, but it is such an illogical method to apply to football, and the person that set up the league last year knows his stuff, that I am led to believe it is the default setting)

All those options are customizable when the commish sets up the league. The league I run on Yahoo processes on Wednesday morning and then individual players that are dropped are on waivers for 2 days before they can be picked up. You can change all that and set it up how you want it to work. Yahoo is actually a decent system for the price. :wacko:

All those options are customizable when the commish sets up the league. The league I run on Yahoo processes on Wednesday morning and then individual players that are dropped are on waivers for 2 days before they can be picked up. You can change all that and set it up how you want it to work. Yahoo is actually a decent system for the price. :wacko:

Then, as per usual, have had lazy commishes in the past that just accepted the default.

My league runs blind bidding waivers on Thurday at 8 PM.

After that people can pick up anyone they want FCFS up until Sunday 1 PM for any player who has yet to play that week.

This way if they miss out on someone on Thursday or their kicker pulls a hammy in warm ups or their LB is inactive they can still pick up a replacement for that week.

The one thing I dislike about certain leagues I play in (I won't call them high stakes I know everyone hates that) is that these certain leagues run their waivers at Friday 8 PM then your stuck for the rest of the week. A hurricane hits and you only have 1 kicker tough luck for you or you only carry 1 DF and they cancel that game tough luck for you. I dislike that a lot. No reason someone can't pick a player up on Saturday or Sunday.

Then, as per usual, have had lazy commishes in the past that just accepted the default.

I actually had a couple of owners complain this year because they wanted to go back to the FCFS system we had 5 years ago. They also happen to be the only 2 single kidless guys in the league. One said it was unfair to make them wait till Wednesday to pick up players. I just laughed......

Our league decided that we did not want conditional bids, so we do not have them.

You are not allowed to bid more money than you have because if you win all of your bids, you can't pay for them. Our league is one of fiscal responsibility.

No, it only rewards owners that are sitting at their computers 24/7.

Why not encourage fair play rather than luck of being the first to the computer.

Fairest ways, in order, IMO -

1. Blind bid waivers

2. Weekly Waiver Run (not the rolling crap yahoo has trying to force rotisserie baseball concepts into football)

3. Rolling Waiver Run aka the Yahoo crap

4. FCFS at all times

:wacko:

Agree with BeachBum in that I would really dislike a bid system that did not allow for conditional bids (and by extension making bids that take a team over the amount they have to spend), but, as stated several times, so long as all owners know what they are getting in to ahead of time, it's all good.

I am one of the loudest voices in this league against conditional bids and I really do hate them. If you are trying to make a waiver pickup, then make it, if you miss your pick up then there is still a FCFS portion to fill the slot if it is injury related. This, if I didn't get A, I want B instead but only if C isn't available kind of stuff only serves to muddy the waters and make the commissioners job more difficult. (I know that most of this is now automated).

I just talked to a guy that is in a league with blind bidding with cash, no limit all year long. When he told me that he bid $50 on Brandon Jackson this week and highly doubted he'd get him I went :wacko:

I am one of the loudest voices in this league against conditional bids and I really do hate them. If you are trying to make a waiver pickup, then make it, if you miss your pick up then there is still a FCFS portion to fill the slot if it is injury related. This, if I didn't get A, I want B instead but only if C isn't available kind of stuff only serves to muddy the waters and make the commissioners job more difficult. (I know that most of this is now automated).

Let's say I need a WR. I have one player on my team that I'd like to drop. There are two main WRs I am interested in. I only want to pick up one player.

In your setup, I would have to make separate bids on these two players, the combined cost of which can not exceed my maximum bid amount, with different players to drop. My only other alternative would be to submit a bid on just one of these players, and if I am outbid I am out of luck as I have no recourse or backup plan available other than waiting for FCFS scraps.

As a result of this type of system, negative ramifications are:

A. Possibly drop a player I don't want to drop to get a player I may not need, even at the expense of not dropping the player I want to drop

B. Not bid the most I possibly could on a player as I may have to now split my bid across two players

C. End up taking on two players when I only want one

Conditional bids are not as confusing as you are making them out to be. At least to me, it is generally a list of ranked bids (ie an owners priority) with the player to be dropped. First legal winning bid gets priority. If an owner wants to pick up multiple players, he can give multiple lists of prioritized bids for each player to be dropped (ie, a list of QBs to be bid on dropping player X and a list of WRs to be bid on dropping player Y, thus ensuring the owner actually isable to address both needs and drops the desired player). Like you noted, in today's world, this can pretty much be automated with the league management software.

Let's say I need a WR. I have one player on my team that I'd like to drop. There are two main WRs I am interested in. I only want to pick up one player.

In your setup, I would have to make separate bids on these two players, the combined cost of which can not exceed my maximum bid amount, with different players to drop. My only other alternative would be to submit a bid on just one of these players, and if I am outbid I am out of luck as I have no recourse or backup plan available other than waiting for FCFS scraps.

As a result of this type of system, negative ramifications are:

A. Possibly drop a player I don't want to drop to get a player I may not need, even at the expense of not dropping the player I want to drop

B. Not bid the most I possibly could on a player as I may have to now split my bid across two players

C. End up taking on two players when I only want one

Conditional bids are not as confusing as you are making them out to be. At least to me, it is generally a list of ranked bids (ie an owners priority) with the player to be dropped. First legal winning bid gets priority. If an owner wants to pick up multiple players, he can give multiple lists of prioritized bids for each player to be dropped (ie, a list of QBs to be bid on dropping player X and a list of WRs to be bid on dropping player Y, thus ensuring the owner actually isable to address both needs and drops the desired player). Like you noted, in today's world, this can pretty much be automated with the league management software.

In our league, you are expected to bid like a man. You want a player, bid high. Dash-4 is not for the weak.