[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Whats the deal with some huddlers?

ajfalcone

I love football as much as the next guy but I love Sundays even more. Sundays for me and my family usually include a bunch of us going to the beach and spending the day surfing, hanging with friends and family, grilling and just enjoying the day off from work after a long stressful week. Then of course there are those Sundays when a bunch of us make the 4 hour drive south to attend a 'Fins game, which we do about 3-4 times a year. I DVR the games I want to watch and just watch them later on in the afternoon/early evening while relaxing around the house. Should I be punished because I would rather have some quality time with friends and family instead of glued to the tv for 8 hours+ on Sunday? Yeah when it's cold and sh*ty outside in Dec. I can see being camped in front of the tv all day watching football, but when it's 86 degrees and sunny and you're off from work, I'm not wasting my day in front of a tv that's for sure. To each his/her own I guess.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I never took to account people actually do sit at a computer for a living and can exploit WW. My league has cops, firemen, construction workers, managers, so it never occured to me the loop hole FCFS can have.

Congratulations! You are one of the first people I have ever seen on an internet message board to listen to a different point of view presented concisely and actually change their mind! You are one of the rare people in our society that has an open mind. you are to be commended sir!

Bli9nd bidding is awesome, but at least a waiver run on Tuesday or Wednesday with a waiver priority in inverse order of standings makes things much fairer for the whole league.

Through years and years of experimenting a couple of my leagues run blind bidding from Monday through Thursday, and then do a 24 hr FCFS period from Saturday to Sunday ending an hour before the first game starts, just in case somebody needs an extra player to cover GTD. Players that are dropped during blind bidding are locked to the following week so they aren't available during the FCFS period for that week.

By far the best way I've seen yet to run it...

yup

Congratulations! You are one of the first people I have ever seen on an internet message board to listen to a different point of view presented concisely and actually change their mind! You are one of the rare people in our society that has an open mind. you are to be commended sir!

Bli9nd bidding is awesome, but at least a waiver run on Tuesday or Wednesday with a waiver priority in inverse order of standings makes things much fairer for the whole league.

thankyou lkirc, like evryone here, we all love the game.

We do waiver submissions from Monday night until Wednesday night based on record (worst to first). Thursday morning starts our FCFS free agency period which ends before the start of the games on Sunday.

i'm commissioner of a 12-team local in its third year. the first two years, we did the same thing as buddahj describes. however, i didn't like that, at the end of the season, the worst teams were still getting first crack at the best free agents. so this year we're trying a hybrid approach: the first half of the season, we have priority waivers that are processed wednesday night, with order based on record (worst to first). then FCFS waivers begin thursday morning. this gives the bottom teams a chance to stay competitive. the second half of the season and through the playoffs, priority waivers will be "rolling," so if you pick up a player, you move to the bottom of the list. this gives a chance for top teams to move to the top of the priority waiver list, which could be valuable if a top player goes down late in the year.

i tried to get the league to go to blind bidding this year, but no one was interested.

I love football as much as the next guy but I love Sundays even more. Sundays for me and my family usually include a bunch of us going to the beach and spending the day surfing, hanging with friends and family, grilling and just enjoying the day off from work after a long stressful week. Then of course there are those Sundays when a bunch of us make the 4 hour drive south to attend a 'Fins game, which we do about 3-4 times a year. I DVR the games I want to watch and just watch them later on in the afternoon/early evening while relaxing around the house. Should I be punished because I would rather have some quality time with friends and family instead of glued to the tv for 8 hours+ on Sunday? Yeah when it's cold and sh*ty outside in Dec. I can see being camped in front of the tv all day watching football, but when it's 86 degrees and sunny and you're off from work, I'm not wasting my day in front of a tv that's for sure. To each his/her own I guess.

You know what? You can just suck it with your great weather and beaches and stuff. :wacko:

On a post today of Ryan Grant going down for the season. One huddler mentioned going to waivers during the game, and the response was huge as to what kind of crap league do you belong to. My league allows it and every league I've belonged to allows it. Actually one of my leagues only allows waivers after MNF and I think it sucks. Having waivers open all the time rewards active team owners and it promotes activity on the web site. So whats up with all the opposers.

unfair to those who actually attend NFL games. most smartphones have limited web accessibility at the stadiums too. people do have the occasional family obligation such as a wedding or other must-attend event. waivers should be submitted within 24 hrs of MNF and processed after that time has passed. it's the only fair way to do it

In both of my leagues, we run Blind Bidding until midweek(its wed in one league, thu in another) and then its FCFS after that point. We feel this is the most fair way to do it as it 1) allows all owners enough time to try to get a FA and 2) doesnt just reward the bottom-feeding teams the way straight waivers does.

If we ran FCFS all the time, there are some owners who wouldn't have a prayer. Some guys work outside. Some are hunting/fishing on weekends. Some have a lot of family stuff. Etc, etc. And then there are some who are in front of a pc all day for work and usually in front of one on weekends, too, (or their iPhone, Crackberry, etc). Obviously, those owners who are online constantly would have a distinct advantage and that is not right, IMO. I do think at some point in the week FCFS is the best policy, though, as it provides the quickest turnaround for owners to add players. If you see one of your players pop up on the Injury Report or you need to grab a Kicker to cover a BYE and you're about to head out of town, you should be able to just log in and grab the player(s) you want. You shouldnt have to wait for a bidding cycle or waiver cycle at that point.

My league has cops, firemen, construction workers, managers, so it never occured to me the loop hole FCFS can have.

What does their vocational choice have to do with whether or not you should address the loophole?

Anyhow, I've been playing FF for 12yrs or so and I've not been in a FCFS-only league in probably 8yrs. The leagues I'm in do blind-bid for FAs (allocated on Wed or Thurs) and then FCFS from then until the first kickoff of the week.

Edited by muck

How does blind bidding work please? Im commish of a hybrid dynasty league and honestly the rules are made to make it competitive and also not to intensive for me ( commish ) to handle the duties. My life is busy enough.

This is how we do it in Dash-4:

1. Every team will start the season with an imaginary $1,000 in free agent money. This will be their budget for picking up free agents through an auction style, blind bid process for the entire season.

If you want to bid on a player that is not on any team's roster you must submit your bid at the mfl website.

Bids start at $1 and must increase in dollar increments (i.e. no $3.50 bids). A player-to-be-dropped must be

listed for each bid you make on a player to be picked up (i.e. none of this: "I'll bid on Favre and Aikman, and should I get one I'll drop Cunningham"). It is a silent auction so bids won't be opened until the deadline. There are no conditional bids!

By way of example:

Legal Bid

drop favre - add manning $25

drop mcnabb - add bulger $25

drop owens - add moss $34

Illegal Bid

drop favre - add manning $25

drop favre - add bulger $25 (If I'm outbid on manning)

drop favre - add moss $25 (If I'm outbid on bulger)

3. The deadline for blind bids is Thursday morning at 5:00 AM EST. The highest bid will get the player and the total amount of the bid shall be deducted from that owner’s budget. Results will be posted on the web page, typically on Thursday morning. Should two teams bid the same amount, tie breakers are as follows:

a) worse record

:wacko: lower amount of total points

c) coin flip

4. A team may bid on as many players a week as they want as long as they don't run out of cap money, and don’t exceed their roster limit of 18. Should a team make several bids with a combined total of more than they have left, all bids for that week will become null and void. (i.e. if you have $30 left you can't make a $17 and $14 bid). Once you spend all your cap money you cannot pick up any more players No Exceptions!!! So bid wisely!!!

5. Any dropped player will be available to be bid upon the following week. He may not be bid upon during the same week he was dropped.

6. Owners may NOT trade players for cap money.

7. All blind bids must be submitted by Thursday morning at 5:00 AM EST. Only the commissioner and the asst. commissioner have the password to review bids. The commissioner shall have his commissioner status locked out of the mfl website once the draft is complete. Each and every time it becomes necessary for the commissioner to gain complete access to the mfl site and unlock access, he will post the reason on the Dash-4 message board. Additionally, the mfl site automatically e-mails each league member when the commissioner changes his status.

8. The first pickup deadline will be the Thursday before the regular season starts. Pickups can occur throughout the entire season (including playoffs!). After the deadline on Thursday any player may be picked up until 1:00 PM EST Sunday (unless that player has already played earlier that week; i.e. Thursday on Thanksgiving ). This is done on a first come first serve basis and begins at 10:00 AM EST on Thursdays. All of these moves are made at the MFL website. The move is $10 off the cap, if you don't have $10 left, you can't make the transaction. All position requirements as in the bidding system must be met. A player who has played on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday game may not be dropped until the completion of that weeks games.

During the NFL season, there are Thursday and Saturday games. Once a game begins, no player from the teams participating in the early games (i.e., Thursday and Saturday games) may be added OR dropped until the league’s regular waivers begin the following Tuesday. Players participating in games on Sunday may be added or dropped as per the league’s First Come – First Served rule.

9. Waiver moves may be made throughout the regular season and throughout the playoffs.

Most of this is done very easily through mfl. I wake up thursday, hit "process waivers" and I'm done.

I awesomely agree with both points. I would be glad to be in a league with you and your fellow league mates. As long as everyone knows all the rules before the season starts I have no problem with 24/7 FCFS. Every member can make their own decisions about how much time they want to dedicate to FF. All these panties in a wad in one thread sure releives the pressure in the other threads though. :wacko:

2. Weekly Waiver Run (not the rolling crap yahoo has trying to force rotisserie baseball concepts into football)

3. Rolling Waiver Run aka the Yahoo crap

Not that Yahoo really needs defended, but it is an option in the league setup, at least for custom leagues, how you want waivers to run. You can either chose rolling where you keep your position until you grab someone then you go to the bottom, or recalculated on a weekly basis based on standings.

If you don't like the method the league uses, then change it, or find a different league. Choice is always good.

Not that Yahoo really needs defended, but it is an option in the league setup, at least for custom leagues, how you want waivers to run. You can either chose rolling where you keep your position until you grab someone then you go to the bottom, or recalculated on a weekly basis based on standings.

If you don't like the method the league uses, then change it, or find a different league. Choice is always good.

I'm not talking about a rolling waiver order, I'm talking about how they have waivers set up on an individual player basis. If Player a is dropped Tursday, he is on waivers for two days then goes to be a FA and available for FCFS pickups.

Bascially they are FCFS at all times except for recently dropped players. Like you said, they allow different settings in custom leagues, but in the league I was in that went with them last year and one my wife is in this year, this appears to be the default (granted, I am not a commish nor setup either, but it is such an illogical method to apply to football, and the person that set up the league last year knows his stuff, that I am led to believe it is the default setting)

I think you suck and your stupid league sucks

Wow, I read this and had a chuckle, then later thought to myself that would be an awesome sig. So I came back here to cut & paste and noticed you have one of my old quotes as your sig. What are the odds man??