[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Refrigerator won't stay shut...

Puddy

...and yes it's probably because I've made too many trips to it :wacko:

When we shut the door the seal won't hold and it opens about an inch or so. Just started happening yesterday. It's a Kenmore and might be five years old or so. We've cleaned it and the fridge but no dice. Is it easy enough to replace? Should I hire-it-done? Should I replace the fridge?

And of course Mrs. Puddy wants it done yesterday so time is a factor as well.

Edited by Puddy

When we shut the door the seal won't hold and it opens about an inch or so. Just started happening yesterday. It's a Kenmore and might be five years old or so. We've cleaned it and the fridge but no dice. Is it easy enough to replace? Should I hire-it-done? Should I replace the fridge?

And of course Mrs. Puddy's wants it done yesterday so time is a factor as well.

Ours was a lot newer but did the same thing. The doors were out of alignment so they didn't seal properly. Bad installation.

I ended up calling a service guy who added some shims to the door hinges so it would close correctly. Took 30 minutes and covered under warranty.

And of course Mrs. Puddy wants it done yesterday so time is a factor as well.

I am confused? Why would you think that after cleaning it that it would not be a fridge anymore and now become dice? Don't you still want it to be a fridge?

If the gasket with the magnet in it (the seal around the door) is still intact and not damaged, this sounds very much like a balance/ bushing/screw problem. Before you call anyone, make sure all the screws on the two hinges are tight. One or two might have wiggled loose.

When closed, the top edge of the fridge door should have the same gap left to right in relation to the freezer door.

We are talking about a freezer up/fridge down orientation? Side by side? Freezer on the bottom? French door fridge?

If the gasket with the magnet in it (the seal around the door) is still intact and not damaged, this sounds very much like a balance/ bushing/screw problem. Before you call anyone, make sure all the screws on the two hinges are tight. One or two might have wiggled loose.

When closed, the top edge of the fridge door should have the same gap left to right in relation to the freezer door.

We are talking about a freezer up/fridge down orientation? Side by side? Freezer on the bottom? French door fridge?

Yeah...Whomp's link mentioned that as well. So before I buy anything I will make sure it's level (the fridge and the door), the hinges are tight and that my beer stays cold.

Also some 'decent' jokes here as well. :wacko:

I think that a lot depends upon whether the interior light remains on after you close the door completely.

Reminds me of an episode of All in the Family. When the refrigerator repairman shows up and asks Edith if the Fridge lights comes on?

She says on and off. On when the door is open and off when it's closed.

What seems to be different about the fridge? Is it solid on all four corners of the base or does it rock? (balance)

Does the door seem loose? (screws)

Does it seem like it doesn't have any magnet power to stay shut?

Did the Puddys have sex on top of the refrigerator? That's not recommended according to the manual.

Edited by MikesVikes