[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CBS Female News Reporter Brutally Attacked

MikesVikes

NEW YORK — CBS News correspondent Lara Logan was recovering in a U.S. hospital Tuesday from a sexual attack and beating she sustained while reporting on the tumultuous events in Cairo.

Logan was in the city's Tahrir Square on Friday after Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak stepped down when she, her team and their security "were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration," CBS said in a statement Tuesday.

The network described a mob of more than 200 people "whipped into a frenzy."

Separated from her crew in the crush of the violent pack, she suffered what CBS called "a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating." She was saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers, the network said. The Associated Press does not name victims of a sexual assault unless the victim agrees to it.

..She reconnected with the CBS team and returned to the U.S. on Saturday.

The attack on Logan, CBS News' chief foreign affairs correspondent, is one of at least 140 others suffered by reporters covering the unrest in Egypt since Jan. 30, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists. An Egyptian reporter died from gunshot wounds he received during the protests.

A week before Friday's attack, Logan was detained by the Egyptian military for a day, along with two CBS cameramen. They returned to the U.S. after their release, and Logan went back to Cairo shortly before Mubarak left.

Logan joined CBS News in 2002. She regularly reports for the "CBS Evening News" as well as "60 Minutes," where she has been a correspondent since 2006. She has reported widely from Iraq and Afghanistan, and other global trouble spots.

CBS said it had no further comment on Logan's assault.

link

:wacko:

Horrible but not shocking. IMO those people are half fn nuts normally, but now? Why anyone would go out there in anything less than an armoured vehicle by choice I can't imagine.

PS is there something suddenly taboo about the word "rape?" I presume that's what is meant by "sustained sexual attack" right?

Horrible, horrible story.

She made it back alive, and that counts for something. Look, she knew the risks of being a correspondent in those parts but did her job anyways. She didn't cower in the face of danger - she met it head on. I respect that in a person, and wish her a speedy recover.

Hopefully the way the Muslims treat women will be their eventual downfall. Muslim men are sub-human.

Not to defend what was done here, but my kids pediatrician is a Muslim from Pakistan & i would trust him with their lives. My little one actually begs to go to the doctor when she is not feeling well. He has a wife and kids that go to school with mine and they all seem very well adjusted & happy. I realize coming from you some of what you are saying is tongue-in-cheek, but I do find it troubling that this mentality is becoming more prevalent every time something like this occurs. Those people that did it, yes they are subhuman, but keep in mind that it was also very likely Muslims who came to her rescue. And furthermore, if a riot occurred here on our own soil I would be no less surprised to see something like this happen.

Edited by rajncajn

Rajn, does he feel women are treated fairly under Muslim law?

Depends on which law they follow. Not all Muslim women are treated the way you've seen in the media. Regardless, I would argue these Adam's Apples probably weren't following any Muslim law.

Edited by rajncajn

if a riot occurred here on our own soil I would be no less surprised to see something like this happen.

+ 1

Weren't there reports of mob-like sexual assaults in the SuperDome after Katrina?

They were caught between the storm and chaos. Trapped in a city being shrunk by floodwaters, the people of New Orleans fled to the only shelters they knew were still dry-and they came by the thousands.

All kinds of reports came out of the Convention Center and the Superdome, some about rapes, fueled by a police chief who didn't know. And, days later, denials from rank and file police who say nobody was raped.

Now, the truth may be much more disturbing and painful. Do I believe people were raped after and during Katrina? Absolutely," Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner, Wanda Pezant said.

Pezant says over the last weeks, she has counted them. 18 victims, one as young as 13-years-old have now come forward to this sexual assault nurse examiner to say in the confusion of Katrina-they were raped. Caught in dark corners in the Superdome, in shelters across Louisiana, victims and predators she says were suddenly trapped in the same mess-and the predators saw opportunity.

Judy Beniitez runs Louisiana's foundation against sexual assault. Since the hurricane first struck, she says her 15 crisis centers across the state have been getting calls from rape victims and those who witnessed rapes and either never went to the police, or there were no police to go to.

It has been more than a month since Katrina hit. Rape victims are now finding new homes, re-uniting with their families, and finally having the courage to deal with what happened to them during the hurricane. The latest woman to report-came forward just this week.

I'm not even sure what I'm discussing anymore. I thought it was equal protection under the law for woman and men...which Muslim law definitely does NOT have. My hope is women will eventually overthrow the filthy Muslim way of life for equality.