[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yesterday was not a fun day.

Perchoutofwater

I wish you all the very best but I am absolutely positive you will turn this whole thing into success.

I guess my company has one less rival for the TX market.......... :wacko:

They don't want to open an East Texas branch do they? We still have some key personnel and quite of bit of very good equipment. I personally don't have a desire to work for anyone else in the industry, but I'd be willing to stay on through a transition if we received an equitable offer.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't want to open an East Texas branch do they? We still have some key personnel and quite of bit of very good equipment. I personally don't have a desire to work for anyone else in the industry, but I'd be willing to stay on through a transition if we received an equitable offer.

You wouldn't happen to have a condor would ya?

If we do, it will be Austin or San Antonio, both booming apparently. We grow organically too, we've never done an acquisition and may never do one. Very conservative, thankfully.

If we do, it will be Austin or San Antonio, both booming apparently. We grow organically too, we've never done an acquisition and may never do one. Very conservative, thankfully.

Austin’s Job Growth Forecast 2011

Posted on February 14, 2011 by Christina Gulla

Austin has been ranked as the “number one city with the strongest job growth” in the United States and the opportunities for growth in 2011 are endless. In terms of employment and population growth, Austin ranks at the top of the nation’s charts. The Austin real estate demand will pick up as more job seekers move here and more companies relocate to Austin. With the influx of new comers into the city, we can expect Austin’s economy to continue thriving.

We can expect to see many new companies beginning to call Austin their home base in 2011. Twenty-seven companies (9 from California) moved their headquarters to Austin in 2010, making it one of the Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce’s most successful recruiting years. This year we can expect that number to skyrocket.

According to a new Grubb & Ellis co. report, Austin is expected to maintain the 10th strongest commercial real estate market nationally over the next four years. With 8.1 million square feet of vacant space across the market, Austin is very well positioned to accommodate the needs of companies looking to move their companies to this welcoming city. Overall, the future looks bright for the local market with demand expected to slowly continue on the uprise.

Analysts say Austin’s market continues to benefit from the city’s low business costs, high quality of living and a highly-educated workforce that attracts new companies to the area. The cooperate market has seen a renewed level of demand and is enjoying a healthy rebound that is expected to continue over the next year. In multi-family housing, Austin experienced considerable occupancy gains and moderate rental rate growth last year. New construction projects are expected to taper off this year, which will likely keep positive net absorption up.

The expected job growth in Austin is great news for the local economy. Austin will continue to thrive as it weathered the “storm” of the recent recession (and weathered it quite well I must say.) We live in a great city and a great city it will continue to be. Welcome Austin newcomers!

Well apparently word has already hit the streets. I got a call from the local paper about an hour ago wanting to know if we were closing our doors. Then got an email 30 minutes ago from the largest ready-mix supplier asking if they could come over next Wednesday and bring a huge grill and cook us and all our employees a steak lunch. It's amazing how fast word spreads. It's a pretty cool gesture by the ready-mix supplier. I know they've been hurting pretty bad themselves, and since we started doing primarily CM work as opposed to GC work for the past 15 years we really haven't bought much from them lately.

Sorry to hear about this Perch. :wacko: Especially having employees that have been with you so long. I've worked for the same place almost 33 years. I fear there may only be a year or two left before they decide they need to do the same thing.

Well apparently word has already hit the streets. I got a call from the local paper about an hour ago wanting to know if we were closing our doors. Then got an email 30 minutes ago from the largest ready-mix supplier asking if they could come over next Wednesday and bring a huge grill and cook us and all our employees a steak lunch. It's amazing how fast word spreads. It's a pretty cool gesture by the ready-mix supplier. I know they've been hurting pretty bad themselves, and since we started doing primarily CM work as opposed to GC work for the past 15 years we really haven't bought much from them lately.

That's an outstanding gesture. Kudos to them.

very sorry to hear that a multi-generational business and something so close to you has run it's course. i also believe in silver linings and that you may in fact find more fulfillment down the road. my best to you and your family.

Sorry Perch. I have had a few career crossroads in my life, and have owned a couple of businesses. These crossroads were extremely stressful and scary, but it forced me to look at my life/career direction, and what makes me happy in a new way. I carefully evalulate and go over numbers and what ifs over and over when making a big decision, which made it more stressful, and I think you do the same, from what little I know about you. I can say, that with every crossroad I had in my career, it all worked out for the better. I semi-retired, and really could have fully retired at a slightly lower standard of living, at age 46. If I didn't have these crossroads that forced me to think outside the box and take some risks, I would still be working full time, and in a job where I would be miserable.

I hope you reflect back as this being a turning point in your life.

Well I was offered two pretty decent jobs over the weekend. I'm having lunch Tuesday with someone to talk about the possibility of buying half their business and expanding it. I'll be talking to another guy about doing the same thing with his business later in the week. I"m also checking out a few franchises. I'm telling everyone I meet with as well as those that offer me a job that I'm not making any decisions until mid to late April when we get the results of a feasiblity study back and have had time to digest it.

With regard to my employees, I'm really only worried about two of them. Most have already received job offers though not quite at their current income level. A couple plan to start their own businesses. I actually gave one of the guys some additional ideas to look at with the business he is starting that should make him more profitable, and let him corner the market in a niche I see that is going to be expanding in the near future. The two I'm worried about, I'm doing all I can to try to find them jobs, but I'm having a hard time finding them anything that paid as well as we paid. One really should be able to find something pretty easily, but he is depressed about the whole situation, and I don't know if he's ever filled out a resume. He's the guy that has been with us for 33 years. My father hired him straight out of college. I've been helping him write his resume. He could go to work for any local company and would be their best guy, but none of the locals paid what we did. The other guy I'm worried about has some health issues, but he's actually been on his wife's insurance for some time now, and his wife makes more than he does. His kids are all grown and his house is paid for, so he really doesn't have to work, but he still wants too.

Well I was offered two pretty decent jobs over the weekend. I'm having lunch Tuesday with someone to talk about the possibility of buying half their business and expanding it. I'll be talking to another guy about doing the same thing with his business later in the week. I"m also checking out a few franchises. I'm telling everyone I meet with as well as those that offer me a job that I'm not making any decisions until mid to late April when we get the results of a feasiblity study back and have had time to digest it.

With regard to my employees, I'm really only worried about two of them. Most have already received job offers though not quite at their current income level. A couple plan to start their own businesses. I actually gave one of the guys some additional ideas to look at with the business he is starting that should make him more profitable, and let him corner the market in a niche I see that is going to be expanding in the near future. The two I'm worried about, I'm doing all I can to try to find them jobs, but I'm having a hard time finding them anything that paid as well as we paid. One really should be able to find something pretty easily, but he is depressed about the whole situation, and I don't know if he's ever filled out a resume. He's the guy that has been with us for 33 years. My father hired him straight out of college. I've been helping him write his resume. He could go to work for any local company and would be their best guy, but none of the locals paid what we did. The other guy I'm worried about has some health issues, but he's actually been on his wife's insurance for some time now, and his wife makes more than he does. His kids are all grown and his house is paid for, so he really doesn't have to work, but he still wants too.

The second guy sounds ideally suited to be a one-man band working for himself and doing whatever his best skill set is whenever he wants to. The first guy will pull out of his shock soon.

It's awesome of you to be helping them so much.

Best of luck to you, Perch. I'm sure you'll be fine. :wacko:

It sucks having to close up shop. Everytime I go down the big thoroughfare, I see another business (or five) closing it's doors. It's not getting better out there....unless you received some bailout you never really needed in the first place, like the banks and insurance companies did. Sad situation all around.