[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Would you let your kids play football?

Chief Dick

Would you let your kids play football?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Would you let your kids play football?

• Yes
    • No

This is a very interesting topic for me. I was a sports nut from a young age, and started wrestling, football & baseball at 5 years old. My parents told me that I was too excited and gung-ho for them to have the heart to stop me. I was terrible at all three sports for a couple of years. Then, something clicked, and I got pretty good at around 8 years old. I ended up playing all three sports all the way through high school. In college, I chose to play D3 football over an opportunity to wrestled D1.

The apple doesn't seem to have fallen far from the tree. My son is already telling me that he wants to play football & baseball as well as wrestling as soon as he can. I will likely allow him to wrestle and play T-Ball starting at 5, if he still wants to do it. As for football, I think I'm going to have him wait until he is 8 or 9. This is just my opinion, but, I think 5 is too young for contact football. One thing that I'm going to try my best to avoid with my son is putting pressure on him at a young age. I got really good at sports at around 10, and I internally enjoyed it, but, the pressure that was put on me by my Dad & the coaches was too much for a kid, in my opinion. I can remember some of the speeches my football coach would give us, and it is appalling to look back on. In a championship game, I was playing QB, and took a shot in the back from the opposing team. I was having trouble even calling the plays, because it was affecting my breathing. I was 12 years old, and I wouldn't come out of the game for fear of letting down my team, coaches and Dad. It was the championship game, and I thought I had to stay in. Looking back, that is absolutely ridiculous. In wrestling, I remember the early years, when I wasn't good, and my coach and Dad would be thrilled with the tiny 4th place trophy. By 12 years old, 2nd place wasn't good enough, and both my coach and Dad would show their disappointment in me. My Dad was a GREAT man, and he did so much to help me succeed in sports, but, he admitted later, that he would get to wrapped up in wanting me to succeed in sports, because he knew how much it meant to me. I really hope I can learn from my dad's mistakes, but, I'm sure I'll make my own.

So, to sum up, I'll let my son play football at 8 or 9 years old, if that is what he chooses. However, I'm going to try extremely hard to keep it fun for him at all times. If he is good enough to pursue college in a sport, I will be there to provide support to allow him to be as good as he wants to be.

I think this is more dangerous than letting him play when he is young. If he first puts the pads on in HS he will have none of the fundamentals under his belt and would be at a great disadvantage and probably more at risk to get hurt do to lack of technique.

Exactly.

For this same reason I think kids should start doing shots of Jager and Whskey at like 16 so they are ready for college. :wacko:

I'm with the, "if they want to without pushing them" side.

I LOVE football, played my whole life through college and physically suffer for it every day of my life. I would not trade any of it though. My son sees how much I love the sport and shows casual interest in watching with me but has no interest in playing at this point.

At 9 (in a month), he, his twin sister and younger sister (6), are all very into MMA (Brazilian Jujitsu/ Kickboxing) and they really love it. He took a second in his first tournament. It has greatly increased his agility, strength and confidence in a way I don't think football can at this age (and I have coached a bunch of 8-9-10 year olds in my time). I will support that as long as he wants to continue.

IF he asks to play football, I would say yes and volunteer to coach (which I have done a lot of). IF he says yes, it will not because I pushed him in any way.

:wacko::tup:

ETA

In my experience, I think the kids have less chance of injury. They just aren't big or fast enough to get the real serious collisions that cause the really bad injuries. My cheerleaders got hurt much worse over a three year period than any of my players ever did. Cheerleading IS a dangerous sport at just about all ages IMHO.

Edited by McBoog

If I had a son, I would train him to be a punter from day one. Single greatest gig on the planet. Contact is minimal, and, unlike a place kicker, it never comes down to you deciding the outcome of the game, so the pressure is way, way less. Sure, a shanked punt can ultimately lead to your team losing but nothing like a bunch of gladiators have been slugging it out for 59:57 and now it is up to you which team will win the game.

If the kid ends up being really good, it could earn him a scholarship. If he ends up being amazing, he could land a gig paying really good money for a much longer career than most football players and, unlike nearly all the rest, he won't be a cripple when it's over.

What's not to like?

As for the actual question at hand, I played Pop-Warner and can't see much wrong with that. It was a bunch of 10 year olds who could barely run from all the pads falling into each other. And it was fun as hell and got me off my freaking ass. In 6 years, I don't recall a single significant injury to anyone. I moved on to other sports by HS but also agree that, at least for most of us, that wouldn't be a huge deal either. The vast majority of kids playing HS football are not playing for HS factories sending kids to D-1 schools. We had offensive linemen at my HS that weighed like 170. And, while I didn't got to a huge school, it wasn't a one-room school in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by detlef

As for the actual question at hand, I played Pop-Warner and can't see much wrong with that. It was a bunch of 10 year olds who could barely run from all the pads falling into each other. And it was fun as hell and got me off my freaking ass. In 6 years, I don't recall a single significant injury to anyone. I moved on to other sports by HS but also agree that, at least for most of us, that wouldn't be a huge deal either. The vast majority of kids playing HS football are not playing for HS factories sending kids to D-1 schools. We had offensive linemen at my HS that weighed like 170. And, while I didn't got to a huge school, it wasn't a one-room school in the middle of nowhere.

Let me come back to explain my earlier answer. I wouldn't have a problem with my kids playing pop-warner football.

I was more thinking of them playing high-school football. I wouldn't have a problem with them playing small-school football against similar competition. But the school-district we live in could be considered a "HS factory sending kids to D-1 schools." The high-school is one of the largest in the state and the kids they get on the team are often monsters (O-line is all 250+ plus) and the schools they will be playing against will have kids of similar size/ability .

In this situation, the risk just isn't worth it.

Let me come back to explain my earlier answer. I wouldn't have a problem with my kids playing pop-warner football.

I was more thinking of them playing high-school football. I wouldn't have a problem with them playing small-school football against similar competition. But the school-district we live in could be considered a "HS factory sending kids to D-1 schools." The high-school is one of the largest in the state and the kids they get on the team are often monsters (O-line is all 250+ plus) and the schools they will be playing against will have kids of similar size/ability .

In this situation, the risk just isn't worth it.

Fair enough and likely brings up another issue. That being your kids may never make it off the bench, which wouldn't seem like much fun. Maybe, maybe not. Meanwhile, they may excel at non-contact sports and, thus, have more fun competing.

Fair enough and likely brings up another issue. That being your kids may never make it off the bench, which wouldn't seem like much fun. Maybe, maybe not. Meanwhile, they may excel at non-contact sports and, thus, have more fun competing.

I wrestled in high-school and I could see them doing that. Not exactly "non-contact" -- it's just contact against kids of reasonably similar size.

Of course the only concussion I ever got in my life was when I was wrestling in a "free-style" (not high-school) tournament when I was 18. I had to go up against some kid who had goals of going to the Olympics. He executed a very nice move and "threw" me such that I landed on my neck and shoulders. I actually blacked out for a little bit, but nobody noticed. The next thing I knew is that I was lined up against him again and he threw me a second time. I obviously lost the match.

I had a reasonable headache and then about 30 minutes later I started vomiting. And I ended up losing my next match too (even though I got off to an early lead).

Back then, it seemed like no real big deal.

They just fall all over each other when they play early.

I concussed myself 3 times playing and once playing rugby in college. I am dain bramaged, but aren't we all? Just a different part of the brain.

+1

I had about 3-4 concussions while playing HS ball, but I also got one just swimming in the backyard pool of a friends house due to horseplay. Point being, you can get concussions anywhere, it's when you don't give them time to heal properly that it can become a problem.

I think this is more dangerous than letting him play when he is young. If he first puts the pads on in HS he will have none of the fundamentals under his belt and would be at a great disadvantage and probably more at risk to get hurt do to lack of technique.

Very true. Technique is KEY to protecting yourself as well as being effective. Also, he will be well behind these kids today... nless he is a truly gifted athlete, it will be very hard to push aside a starter, hence he may well hate riding the pine year in, year out. Before varisty HS football, there is very little chance you get hit hard enough to get one. Unless it's the size of a kid like Andy Reid at 13 years old.

Edited by millerx

My son is starting football this fall. Where I live, they start football at birth, so my son is behind the curve already. I have sent him to several skill camps and flag football camps to get him ready for the real thing. He will be turning 11.

I was very reticent for years after playing for years, including college. Had several concussions, and one really bad one where I got an ambulance trip to the hospital during a high school game.

I dont have a link, but the Chicago Sun Times did a series on concussion in sports and long term effects. Scary as hell, and definitely had something to do with my thoughts on the subject.

End of the day, I will equip him the best I can, help coach the team, and get him as prepared as I can to play with solid fundamentals. At that point, it is all up to him whether he wants to continue or not long term.

EDIT: A major reason I also waited is my son is autistic. They see competition in different ways.

Edited by bpwallace49

Disclaimer: I have two girls, and no boys.

If my son wanted to play football I would let him do so as soon as he was old enough to play in the pee-wee league. I played from the time that I was in 3rd grade (1st year tackle was offered here) through HS, and was given the opportunity to play D3 ball, but turned it down to get drunk and get kicked out of a couple of universities, one of them twice, but that is a different story. Like others have said, while I did get injured, I suffered far worse injuries playing other sports, or just goofing off as a kid.

There is no way I'd let or force my kid to wait until he got to high school to play football. If he was going to play, I'd want him in at least one year of pee-wee before he got to middle school. I would think waiting that long would increase the chances of him getting injured, because he would not know proper techniques that are typically taught at the lower levels.

my youngest is headed into his 5th season and he loves it. my wife wasn't a fan of him playing but he was very determined. she would tell you now that it was a good decision as it has helped him in many ways and has been great fun for the family. my oldest wasn't all that interested and he's been just fine with his cross country, track, and drums. to each their own. if the desire isn't strong, i wouldn't push it because the season is long and the commitment is big.

I left it up to my sons to decide what sports they wanted to play. The oldest played football up to his sophmore year then decided he didn't want to anymore. The youngest (who turned out to be 6'3" and 220) never played, stuck with basketball. But today, he sometimes says with regret, he wished he had at least tried football. Leave it up to the boys to decide.

Edit: But the second grandson is 4 years old and in the 99% percentile of body size, head size, weight, etc of kids his age and both his father and I are counting wanting him to play football. Left tackle, baby! His mother wants him to be a "scientist", sheesh.

If my kid wants to play then I'l let him play. He's already doing soccer and talks about how he wants to play football, hockey, baseball, and basketball. He's a bit of a bruiser so I'll probably nudge him to football or hockey.

He's 3.5. :wacko:

If my kid wants to play then I'l let him play. He's already doing soccer and talks about how he wants to play football, hockey, baseball, and basketball. He's a bit of a bruiser so I'll probably nudge him to football or hockey.

He's 3.5. :wacko:

:tup: 3.76

I played baseball, basketball, soccer and rugby. All of my serious injuries were sustained playing soccer. Shattered collar bone, MCL tear and grade III shoulder separation all required surgery.

After all of that, I let my 7 son and 10 year old daughter play on a soccer team year round. So I guess that I'd let my son play football if he wanted to. I would be more concerned with who was coaching him then with football injuries in general.