[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Andy Dalton

bostonsoxandy

Kid put up impressive numbers at TCU, has good accuracy, good form, and is a great leader. Stays out of the headlines and doesn't draw attention to himself and seems to be very hardworking and a good football IQ (29 on the wonderlic as well). Why isn't he even close to being considered the best QB in the draft?

In my opinion I believe Dalton develops into a better QB than anyone else in this draft class. Can someone tell me why he isn't even close to being a top-10 pick, when Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert are both LOCKS for being drafted in the top-10?

Another huddler sent me a PM a month or so ago when I asked a similar question.

There were threats and innuendo involved.

Apparently, he was concerned that some other huddlers here would pick up on the fact that Dalton could be a very nice NFL QB and that if others here figured that out, then his dynasty draft would get all fouled up.

Or something like that...

:wacko:

Apparently, he was concerned that some other huddlers here would pick up on the fact that Dalton could be a very nice NFL QB and that if others here figured that out, then his dynasty draft would get all fouled up.

:wacko:

now im sorta nervous i asked.

I don't think he's getting a bad rap. He's all I freaking hear about these days. Two months ago, he was a third rounder at best, now it sounds like he's not going to make it out of the 1st.

I want that kind of bad rap.

I don't think he's getting a bad rap. He's all I freaking hear about these days. Two months ago, he was a third rounder at best, now it sounds like he's not going to make it out of the 1st.

Stole my thunder.

I do think think his arm issues are being overblown a bit. I'm fairly certain he has a stronger arm than Colt McCoy, who looks promising. He's also a redhead. I heard a quote in the background on the radio, so sorry I can't place it, but it was a fairly prominent NFL analyst who said realistically "has there ever been a successful redhead at QB in the NFL?" Sounds ridiculous, but until we can think of some, it might actually have a touch of reality to it.

He simply doesn't look the part to me. I'm always partial to gunslingers, and he doesn't appear to have that kind of swagger to him. Smart and accurate. His best quality is his leadership. I'm thinking Chad Pennington.

Well it matters what you're comparing him too....I mean if you look at very early mocks, Cam Newton wasn't going in the 1st round at all-now he is nearly a lock to be No. 1 overall.

Stole my thunder.

I do think think his arm issues are being overblown a bit. I'm fairly certain he has a stronger arm than Colt McCoy, who looks promising. He's also a redhead. I heard a quote in the background on the radio, so sorry I can't place it, but it was a fairly prominent NFL analyst who said realistically "has there ever been a successful redhead at QB in the NFL?" Sounds ridiculous, but until we can think of some, it might actually have a touch of reality to it.

He simply doesn't look the part to me. I'm always partial to gunslingers, and he doesn't appear to have that kind of swagger to him. Smart and accurate. His best quality is his leadership. I'm thinking Chad Pennington.

Billy Joe Tolliver

Stole my thunder.

Although he is a dreaded Redskin, Sonny Jurgensen would qualify.

Sonny and Vince Lombardi

Although he is a dreaded Redskin, Sonny Jurgensen would qualify.

Jeff Garcia had a fairly successful career when red-headed. You could make the argument that things went south when he went bald.

Jeff Garcia had a fairly successful career when red-headed. You could make the argument that things went south when he went bald.

And I'm sure theres plenty of red-head QB's that just shaved so they wouldnt get crap for it like Dalton is getting now...

sort of another example of dalton's bad rap-he's being doubted because of his hair color. really?

And I'm sure theres plenty of red-head QB's that just shaved so they wouldnt get crap for it like Dalton is getting now...

sort of another example of dalton's bad rap-he's being doubted because of his hair color. really?

Someone mentioned that redheads are about 2% of the population at large. Given that, having only Jurgensen and Garcia being the notable (unless someone comes up with another I'm unaware of/forgetting) isn't that big of a "black mark" - sorta like someone wondering if a Mormon QB has ever succeeded in the NFL.

The red hair thing is only getting play because it's so stupid.

:tup:

Geee wonder who that could be :wacko:

• 10 months later...

:moon:

I wonder who that was :whistle:

So what does everyone think about the Red Rifle now? Pretty impressive rookie year. I am looking for him to take another step this year. The thing that impresses me most about this kid is that he is unflappable, which is unheard of for a rookie QB. He also seems to have the pocket presence that Blaine Gabbert sorely lacks. His sneaky athleticism also got him out of trouble countless times last year. As a Bengals fan I couldn't be happier with the way the future looks. If we can only find a way to either trade up and get Trent Richardson, or somehow work out a deal to bring J-Stew to town, we could be talking about the new Triplets here.

Bengals have themselves a good QB, he'll continue to develop well but may have a bit of a sophmore slump after such a nice rookie year. They need to make sure they do something at RB, if Benson is gone they need to replace him to keep a strong running game.

As a Browns fan I hate seeing the other cellar dwellar steadily improving, last place seems all ours for the next few years.

What is with you and "looking the part"? Weren't you ranting the other day that Flynn looked like a nerd and didnt "look the part". :coffee:

Edited by Jolly Rodgers

So what does everyone think about the Red Rifle now? Pretty impressive rookie year. I am looking for him to take another step this year. The thing that impresses me most about this kid is that he is unflappable, which is unheard of for a rookie QB. He also seems to have the pocket presence that Blaine Gabbert sorely lacks. His sneaky athleticism also got him out of trouble countless times last year. As a Bengals fan I couldn't be happier with the way the future looks. If we can only find a way to either trade up and get Trent Richardson, or somehow work out a deal to bring J-Stew to town, we could be talking about the new Triplets here.

Weak arm? He's not Mallet, but he's got well above average arm strength. His 60 yd throws tend to flutter a bit, but that is more due to mechanics than lack of strength. Watch this kid throw 10 to 15 yd outs and the ball gets there not only in a hurry, but also where his guy is the only guy who can catch it.

Dalton is a poor man's Gabbert and has many of the same strengths and weaknesses. He QBed a spread O, so there are concerns about his footwork and taking snaps under center. He's got a 3/4 throwing motion. He's not as big, as tall, or as fast as Gabbert but he still has NFL QB size and speed. His leadership skill and "it" factor are outstanding. He can set in the pocket or roll and throws well while doing both - he's accurate, but he also tends to sail the ball when throwing on the run if he doesn't set his feet first. He understands progressions and runs through them. He can move the chains with his feet after the play breaks down.

Something else to remember about Dalton - he took a much smaller program to much higher places than Gabbert did. TCU was a legit contender for the national championship under his QBing. They could play with the big boys. Dalton's TCU team would have beaten Gabbert's Mizzou team by a couple of TDs in a head-to-head matchup. TCU didn't ask Dalton to throw as much as Gabbert, but if they did the two guys would likely have put up very similar numbers. Dalton had better career ypa, TD/INT ratio, and completion % than Gabbert.

Dalton could end up getting picked in the late 3rd to 4th round and give a team exactly what Gabbert gives his team with an early 1st round selection. Gabbert would probably do better in a vertical O, but Dalton would be as good or better if both guys went to the same WCO.