[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jake Locker

CaP'N GRuNGe

I don't follow college ball at all, but the thing i don't like about Jake is everytime I see a highlight video on him it seems like its about 90% running plays...

He has accuracy issues for sure...he threw quite a bit last year. He has some plays where he is rolling out of the pocket and lasers in a dime on a run. Then he throws it 10 feet over a guy's head when he is open.

Here is some highlights(and lowlights) vs Oregon State that make scouts excited:

He comes off ultra mature with leadership qualities so well, I don't think he's slipping out of the first round as insinuated in the E:60 link.

Edited by bushwacked

So hard to figure the kid out. There are some plays he made that it is likely that nobody else in college football could have made. On the other hand, there are plays that he couldn't make that literally every other QB in the country could.

His coach, Sarkisian, tried to hand the reigns to Locker early in the season and allow him to make reads based on the defenses and really run a pro-style offense. That landed them at 3-6 and Locker was throwing about 50%. The rest of the season, they ran almost an entirely gimmick offense, taking the reads out of Locker's hands. This was the only chance they had to win football games. I still can't figure out how Locker goes from 58% his Junior year to 54% his senior year, especially with arguably the premier playcaller in the country, and an elite RB. I can't see how 54% in college can equate to 63+% in the pros. I love the kid. There has been no better ambassador for my favorite University, and by coming to Washington, he single-handedly put UW back on the college football map. We are forever in debt to him for that. Great, great kid. Just not sure he can play QB. That wonderlic score and completion percentage make me honestly wish the Seahawks pass on him if he is somehow available at 25. I've seen every snap he has played at the college level. He was flat out bad more often than he was pretty good. I don't see how that translates.

What's not to like about Locker? Here's what walterfootball.com has to say about him...

It almost pains me to make this pick for the Vikings. Two weeks ago, I would have scoffed at the prospect of Jake Locker going as high as No. 12 in the 2011 NFL Draft. But multiple reliable reports are indicating that Locker will be a top-16 selection and that Minnesota covets him, envisioning the Washington quarterback as the next Brett Favre. I'd say Jake Plummer is the better comparison. Locker possesses tremendous athletic talent, but his accuracy is atrocious. His decision-making is terrible. His mechanics need work. And his football IQ is pretty low. Still though, Minnesota is desperate for a quarterback, so the team doesn't have much of a choice. I can't blame them if they settle for Locker, so I'll probably give them a B or a C in my live draft grades.

Locker is a lock.

Edited by MikesVikes

The kid is a great athlete, has a great arm, and his mechanics are impeccable.

That said, he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

The guy's accuracy issues are epic, and he also waits way too long before trying to get the ball to his receiver. I'm not sure how you fix him. You can't teach anticipation and his mechanics aren't the reason he misfires. If he throws that poorly in college, I don't know how he can succeed in the pros where the windows are much smaller and close much quicker.

He'd have to drop into the 5th/6th round of my FF draft before I'd consider taking a flyer on him - and I genuinely hope he succeeds, he's a really good kid.

Here's to hoping I'm way off base on Locker... :wacko:

Edited by Bronco Billy

What's not to like about Locker? Here's what walterfootball.com has to say about him...

It almost pains me to make this pick for the Vikings. Two weeks ago, I would have scoffed at the prospect of Jake Locker going as high as No. 12 in the 2011 NFL Draft. But multiple reliable reports are indicating that Locker will be a top-16 selection and that Minnesota covets him, envisioning the Washington quarterback as the next Brett Favre. 

I'd say Jake Plummer is the better comparison. Locker possesses tremendous athletic talent, but his accuracy is atrocious. His decision-making is terrible. His mechanics need work. And his football IQ is pretty low. 

Still though, Minnesota is desperate for a quarterback, so the team doesn't have much of a choice. I can't blame them if they settle for Locker, so I'll probably give them a B or a C in my live draft grades.

Locker is a lock.

That's a real ringing endorsement you posted there:

his accuracy is atrocious. His decision-making is terrible. His mechanics need work. And his football IQ is pretty low.

Allow me to summarize: Great guy, dumb, sucks at football.

Yep, just what we need in Minnesota. :wacko:

I see many mocks where they throw a guy to the Vikings because they just feel like it. Not because it makes any sense. I don't know if Locker can be fixed and since we don't have Childress fixing anyone anymore, maybe he just won't work out for us.

:Rolleyes #2:

I see many mocks where they throw a guy to the Vikings because they just feel like it. Not because it makes any sense. I don't know if Locker can be fixed and since we don't have Childress fixing anyone anymore, maybe he just won't work out for us.

:Rolleyes #2:

FWIW, which is not much, I have the Viqueens selecting the Prince.