[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

At what age can a boy start mowing the lawn?

SayItAintSoJoe

Lawn Mowing Chore  

48 members have voted

1. 1. At what age can a boy stat mowing the lawn (from a safety standpoint)?

• 43 (Puddy's age)

I just bought a new lawn mower yesterday and it is way nicer than the one I had that finally died. The new lawn mower is a walk behind that is very easy to start and is self propelled. The self propelled speed automatically adjusts to the speed that you are walking. Very cool. Needless to say when I was shopping for this thing I was definitely trying to find something that I thought my son could operate with ease, if not now, then in the near future.

Which brings me to this poll question.

For the sake of this poll lets just assume that we are talking about the average kid for that age as far as size and maturity.

Edited by SayItAintSoJoe

I said 13 b/c I did not know the size and slope of the yard. If flat and not having to bag the cuttings then you might could go younger. Also, if the yard is clean meaning no rocks and stuff that can shoot out from under the mower. My dad never let me mow b/c he was affraid I would cut off my finger. I am assuming your mower is like mine, a lever must be engaged in order for the blade to move or even for the mower to run.

Now Josh Gordon eating, definately not before 13, IMO.

I said 13 b/c I did not know the size and slope of the yard. If flat and not having to bag the cuttings then you might could go younger. Also, if the yard is clean meaning no rocks and stuff that can shoot out from under the mower. My dad never let me mow b/c he was affraid I would cut off my finger. I am assuming your mower is like mine, a lever must be engaged in order for the blade to move or even for the mower to run.

Now Josh Gordon eating, definately not before 13, IMO.

I should have included this info: :wacko:

Mostly flat surface and clean mowing. My lot is about .4 of an acre so it's a pretty big yard. Lawn mower shuts off when you release the lever.

Edited by SayItAintSoJoe

I should have included this info: :wacko:

Mostly flat surface and clean mowing. My lot is about .4 of an acre so it's a pretty big yard. Lawn mower shuts off wen you release the lever.

(With a little practice) Do you think he can do a decent job up to your standards?

If yes then that may be your answer. Hang out with him at first, you know where all the trouble spots are. Does he want to mow? Its a chore, yes but is he kinda liking the idea of himself mowing?

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

We are approaching that age ourselves...my 11 year old wants to give it a shot, but both the wife and I are not up for it. her for safety reasons only...me because I take pride in the lawn, and groom it meticulously and bag every other cut. I don't think he'd do as solid a job at it at this age.

From a safety standpoint, I think he'd be ready (with proper supervision until he understood the risks) next summer...so I voted 12.

For me, never. Mowing the grass is the only hour of peace and quiet I get during the week.

Part of being a great dad is sharing those special moments with your son. The bonding between the two of you, the knowing that he has gained intricate knowledge of a "Man". The pleasure if would give you watching him mow the lawn, knowing that he now understands. Shame on you for depriving your son of that holy peace and quiet.

:wacko:

Edited by tazinib1

When I was in 4th grade, and my brother in 2nd, we moved to a house with an enormous yard. I'm not talking football field size... I'm talking several football fields. I don't remember the actual acreage, but with two riding lawn mowers, we could mow the whole thing in about 3-4 hours (7-8 hours of mowing time total). We loved it, for the simple reason that, as long as we kept the grass relatively short, it gave us more than enough room to play baseball, football, or whatever other games young boys play. We could ride our bikes for the equivalent of city blocks, and still be within our "yard."

Looking back, we were pretty young, to be operating such equipment... maybe too young, when I think about some of the other stupid chit we did as kids. I was probably 9-10 when I started, and my brother was maybe eight years old. :wacko: But, I think the key was that my dad was very careful/thorough, in making sure we knew exactly how each mower worked. They were also both the kind where the blade would stop as soon as you disengaged a lever/pedal, so there was absolutely no way you could step off of either mower, with the blade still going. And, it was absolutely forbidden to approach each other, while the other was moving. We would get the other's attention, and have him stop mowing, if we needed to say something to each other, or whatever.

Looking back, that house was one of the things in my childhood that I have a hard time comprehending, now. My parents rented that house for $100 a month. :tup: It not only had a huge yard, it was also on a lake, with it's own private beach, basically. The people who owned it had a cabin on the property (near the beach area), and stayed there for a week or two, each summer. They basically just wanted someone to rent the main house, so they would have someone around to maintain the yard (thus the super cheap rent). Crazy.

Back to the mower question... I voted for 11, but I think it just depends on the parent. Obviously, my dad (and mom, I'm assuming) trusted us with the equipment at a pretty young age. Whatever you decide, just make sure your kid is comfortable with it. On the other hand, if Mom is not OK with it, you may want to just wait, to keep peace in the house. :lol:

Pretty sure I started when I was 12 or so, but I guess I voted 14 just in case. My kids are so little it's hard for me to get the difference between a 12 and 14 year old kid in my head.

I was going door to door to cut lawns at 12. Started at home when I was 10.

Funny, I've thought about this from time to time as an adult... I was 11 when I started and it was a competitive market to get yards to cut. Several buddies of mine where cutting lawns in the neighborhood I grew up in and you had to get your houses locked up if you were gonna make some money. I

As an adult, I now live in a big neighborhood with lots of kids and I have yet to have any of them come by asking for business. This is going on 6 years in the current neighborhood and 6 in my old neighborhood. Seriously, not one kid. Is that no longer a means for kids to make money today? Anyway, just an observation... I didn't know if that's one of those things kids don't get to do anymore or if it is beneath them, etc. How is it where you are?