[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pet peeve of the day

millerx

Why do elevators have a close button?

They NEVER close when you press them. They seem to close when the want to...I mean, you get in the elevator, no one is coming so you hit the button so you can go ahead and go, but the doors just sit there and wait for what seems like their average time before they close. What the "F"? I hit the button that says "close door" %*#!@! ... maybe there are some people here who know the answer to this (as this site seems to have answers for everything), but it's one of those "I just don't get" things that bothers me.

Kinda like those buttons you push on the sidewalk to make the light change so you can cross the street. I've never seen one of those work either. At least not how I would perceive them to work. Anyone know why!?!

Edited by millerx

Kinda like those buttons you push on the sidewalk to make the light change so you can cross the street. I've never seen one of those work either. At least not how I would perceive them to work. Anyone know why!?!

I think these tend to "kinda" work - ie not immediately.

Maybe you're just impatient. :wacko:

As for the 'walk' buttons. I know they work as I ride a bike alot and have to use them. They take as long as a car would take (which is sometimes a lot) but I get to cross when no cars are signaling the sensor. The elevators seem to be hit or miss, I've seen many that work right away, but plenty that seem to do nothing.

As for the 'walk' buttons. I know they work as I ride a bike alot and have to use them. They take as long as a car would take (which is sometimes a lot) but I get to cross when no cars are signaling the sensor.

Yep. The walky man comes on at the same time that a car would. at a normal intersection. They are there to let pedestrians cross if no car trips the sensor otherwise, and to give enough time for a pedestrian to cross the street as some green times would otherwise be too short.

Though in Georgia, many buttons are malfunctioning and the working ones give shorter cross times than in other areas.

I have read somewhere, and apparently it is true, that in some models of elevators, you can simultaneously press the close door button and the button for the floor you want to go to and it will go striaght to that floor, skipping all other selected floors that it would normally stop at. Especially useful if you are on a high floor in a hotel or office building.

I remember googling it once and it seemed to be true for certain manufacturers.... will have to check again.

Are you just quickly pusing the button and releasing it right away? I've found that you usually have to keep the button pressed continually. :wacko:

yes, if you hold the button down long enough the door will shut :tup:

As for the 'walk' buttons. I know they work as I ride a bike alot and have to use them. They take as long as a car would take (which is sometimes a lot) but I get to cross when no cars are signaling the sensor.

I like the flashing "Don't Walk" signs with a countdown of when the light is going to change. Lets people know to get move on.

I like the flashing "Don't Walk" signs with a countdown of when the light is going to change. Lets people know to get move on.

And can let motorists know when whe light is going to change.

It was an experimental situation, but AASHTO (federal highway agency) liked it so much that they are mandating that they all use the countdown timer by 2019, as per their manual for this (MUTCD)

Yeah I think elevator doors have to be open for a minimum amount of time. The "close" button does its job when it's to correct/reverse the use of the "open" button. If you do hit the "open" button, it obviously opens the doors and keeps them open for a set amount of time. Utilizing the "close" button reverses the process.

I am in elevators every single work day multiple times a day. These are some annoyances that I witness

1. When the doors are just about to shut and a person trying to catch the elevator puts their hand in between the doors making them reopen so they can get on. What often happens is multiple people get on because of this and in some cases somebody else stops it from closing again last minute before it goes up

2. People who come on with massive body odor

3. People who dont know the floor they are getting off at and press a number and pop their heads out in the hall , then press another number etc. This one makes me want to fracture the larynx.

Edited by whomper

My pet peeve are the people waiting on a floor to get on the elevator, then as soon as the door cracks open, they charge on.

Uh, might be a good idea to make sure there is no one getting off before you charge onto the elevator with you eyes down, and crack someone in the jaw with the crown of your head.

People who try to enter the elevator without letting others get off first...totally pisses me off...

jeez how could I forget this. Great call

People who try to enter the elevator without letting others get off first...totally pisses me off...

what about the person who stands like a statue right in front of the door and won't let people behind them out?

When you're waiting for the subway, standing right near the edge, and someone comes and stands directly in front of you to make sure they are the first one in. These are the same people who won't wait for people to come out before going in and will stand directly in the doorway completely blocking people from coming out. (More annoying than the elevator imo)

People who weave back and forth on the sidewalk.

Large umbrellas

People who don't like "spicy food." Not as in hot spicy, but spice in general. What's wrong with you?

Fashionable men with their tight pants

Having to eat salad in any form

The salad guy who smothers my salad in dressing no matter what I say

Dishwashers that don't work unless you rinse the dishes before putting them in

Asking for extra pickles and not getting extra pickles

Restaurants that charge for soda refills

Beats by Dre

Commercials that sell through fear

Fixed-gear bikes

Using veganism as an excuse to be anorexic

The dreaded nose whistle

Ironic mustaches

People who use religion as an excuse to hate and discriminate

That feels better...

Edited by mrip

another one with the elevators. When you wait for an elevator there really isnt a line. People just sort of stand side by side until it comes down and usually about 4 feet back since when it opens you assume people are coming out and you arent a douschbag doing the rush in. It happens often where you have a decent amount of people that have congregated waiting for this elevator and then you get a johnny come lately scumbag that just steps right in front of everyone and gets on the elevator first when the doors open

Of course, there are those people who get on an elevator only to go up or down one floor...and there ARE stairs that they can take. Had to clarify because I worked in a building where there was no entry on floors...

:wacko: Burn a few calories and take the stairs fat arse!!!!

Of course, there are those people who get on an elevator only to go up or down one floor...and there ARE stairs that they can take. Had to clarify because I worked in a building where there was no entry on floors...

:wacko: Burn a few calories and take the stairs fat arse!!!!

Not to mention you'll get there faster in most cases.