[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Man falls to his death catching a baseball at game

BeeR

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horrible beyond belief.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/07/08/t...-to-catch-ball/

If some kind of safety measures aren't mandated at ALL ballparks due to this, MLB execs should be tossed head-first into concrete as well.

Let's not make this a conversation about what the MLB could have done. Though with 3 people having fallen from their railings, something probably needs to be done, but it's not that simple....

But anyways, what a terribly sad story. It nearly brought me to tears reading about the kid having watch his dad fall to his death, and Josh Hamilton, who has to feel just horrible right now...

I agree that is is a terrible tragedy.

However, you'll never be able to legislate stupidity out of people, and choosing to risk one's life for a baseball is right there.

Dude, that's not right. It was an accident. The guy wanted a ball for his kid, leaned out to catch Hamilton's toss, and lost his balance. Let's not play the blame game, when it was just a horribly tragic accident.

However, you'll never be able to legislate stupidity out of people, and choosing to risk one's life for a baseball is right there.

He reached out and his feet slipped. Lost balance and over he went. While I wouldn't lean out for a ball...he was caught in the moment trying to get something cool for his 7 year old.

The railing is low. But if you raise it any more then it blocks your view. They'd have to probably take that row of seats out.

Terrible tragedy. Really hits home for us fathers. And I'm sure Josh Hamilton is just sick about it.

Let's not make this a conversation about what the MLB could have done. Though with 3 people having fallen from their railings, something probably needs to be done, but it's not that simple....

But anyways, what a terribly sad story. It nearly brought me to tears reading about the kid having watch his dad fall to his death, and Josh Hamilton, who has to feel just horrible right now...

This story really upset me today. I read the article, and then I watched the video. Seeing a Dad there with his son enjoying a baseball game together, in my book, one of the best bonding experiences fathers and sons can have. Knowing that the little boy watched his father fall to his death. Then hearing that the Father's first words were to make sure his kid was taken care of, as he was up there alone, made me think that this is a good Dad that was lost. It brought tears to my eyes, and I went up and gave my son a big hug. So tragic, so sad.

This story really upset me today. I read the article, and then I watched the video. Seeing a Dad there with his son enjoying a baseball game together, in my book, one of the best bonding experiences fathers and sons can have. Knowing that the little boy watched his father fall to his death. Then hearing that the Father's first words were to make sure his kid was taken care of, as he was up there alone, made me think that this is a good Dad that was lost. It brought tears to my eyes, and I went up and gave my son a big hug. So tragic, so sad.

Perfectly said. Gut wrenching story

? If that isn't by far the most idiotic and thoughtless post you've ever made here, it's easily on the short list. It's not like he dove out from a really high seat. He leaned over the railing. Cmon BB you're better than that.

But back to the idiotic and thoughtless part, don't worry, you have company here. I'm surprised no one has made jokes about it yet (which will surely follow).

I think it is. Safety measures could be made to make this safer. Anyway, I wasn't saying what they could have/should have done earlier, rather what they should do now.

Edited by BeeR

I'm surprised no one has made jokes about it yet (which will surely follow).

I saw it on youtube and some of the comments were pretty bad. It's amazing how people will say anything while hiding behind their computer screens.

Same thoughts I had. I just took my son to his first Tigers game. It's a special experience to take your son to something like that. I felt sick for the son and the dad when I first read this story.

It's a terrible situation and a truly sad story. My heart goes out to the boy, and I genuinely am very empathetic and sympathetic. It turns one's stomach and literally brings one to tears.

But let's get down to it -

How 'bout let's not? Just stick with your first part.

But let's get down to it - the guy put the center of mass of his body over an upperdeck railing in order to catch a baseball. If we're speaking to acts of extremely poor judgment, this is one of them. He took an inordinate risk and left his family fatherless for what? A baseball? C'mon.

Please. It was a split second reaction, he slipped, he fell, it's not like it was a pre-meditated, dangerous plan. It's a tragedy that doesn't need to get picked apart and analyzed by every jackass looking for some shock value and attention.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

It's a terrible situation and a truly sad story. My heart goes out to the boy, and I genuinely am very empathetic and sympathetic. It turns one's stomach and literally brings one to tears.

But let's get down to it - the guy put the center of mass of his body over an upperdeck railing in order to catch a baseball. If we're speaking to acts of extremely poor judgment, this is one of them. He took an inordinate risk and left his family fatherless for what? A baseball? C'mon.

1) it was not the upperdeck

2) leaning out to catch the ball was instinct, it wasn't as if he had done the expected cost/benefit calculation before deciding to lean over the railing

3) the guy probably implicitly figured that whoever had designed the railing had done so in the expectation that people might sometime lean over the railing to try to catch a ball

now, if you want to bitch about something, say that the guy deserved to die for jumping in front of the other fan who was about to catch the ball in his glove

I would have thought that your need to be a know-it-all-jackass would have some limit, somewhere.

Apparently not.

Hey, whatever. I'm just trying to discuss the fact that this didn't have to happen, and that some common sense would have prevented it. If a guy is going 70 mph around a 35 mph curve and kills himself rolling his car, it's the same thing. Neither guy would have meant for it to happen, but regardless there are consequences for reckless actions. He took an overt risk that cost him his life, and the reward for taking that risk was very small - a freakin' baseball.

You want to get pissed at me for pointing it out? Fine. You'd prefer not to discuss that the guy brought on his own demise through his own actions because its such a heart rending story? Okay. But that I'm seeking some kind of self aggrandizement or smug satisfaction through his death by discussing its cause is downright false. It was a tragedy, but it was a tragedy that shouldn't have happened. That's part of the story too, and personally I think it make it all that much more of a tragedy.

It was an accident. Can't your simple mind come to terms with that? Holy f*ck you can be a pig-headed pain in the ass at times.

Higher railings will be installed at all ball parks.

Disagree

Seems pretty simple, higher railings.

Disagree

The railings were raised in 95 to 48 inches, which is six inches higher than what OSHA requires. It sucks that this happened, and I was sickened when I saw it happen, but this isn't the fault of the Rangers or the stadium.

Any higher and you've got railing in your line of sight. I wouldn't call the guy stupid or whatever was posted earlier, but you can't make a knee jerk reaction like pulling out all of the railing to raise it to an absurd level because someone leaned over the rail at an angle. At a certain point, we have to expect people to consider the surroundings and what can happen.

I think the best course of action is that in between the 1st and 2nd inning have your PA guy address all of the fans near the railing. Just reminding them could help a ton.

I think some netting in left field could go a long way as well.

Of course, you can never account for the drunks or people that are trying to do something stupid like the guy who tried to slide down the railing in Colorado.

Not sure if it's important to this conversation or not, but the man didn't die from head injuries, he went into cardiac arrest on the way to the hospital. Sad, sad thing for sure.