[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What year did you start playing FF?

STL Fan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Started local league in 1992 with 7 teams and all players drafted started. We only did total points that year. In 1993 we expanded to 10 teams and added head-to-head play with Fantasy Bowl I. I still remember when the Monday night game went long we would have to wait for the Wednesday paper to get the box score. Typed all reports, copied and then drove around town to deliver. Talk about the dark ages. The paper we used was The Dallas Morning News.

During this time a lot of people did not understand "fantasy football". I remember enduring many 'fantasy' jokes. I tell people now that I was playing fantasy football when fantasy football wasn't cool. Now my local league is in it's 20th year and we still get together for our draft and end of the year parties. Great times!!!

Oh yeah, first round of our first draft went like this

1. Warren Moon

2. Barry Sanders

3. Emmitt Smith

4. Jim Kelly

5. Thurman Thomas

6. Dan Marino

7. Mark Rypien

Edited by T-Man

From a 1993 file I have of top players that year

Quarterback

==== ==============

1 Young,S

2* Elway,J

3* Moon,W

4* Hebert,B

5* Esiason,B

6 Aikman,T

7* Hostetler,J

8 Favre,B

9 O'Donnell,N

10* Kelly,J

Running Back

==== ==============

1 Smith,E

2* Allen,M

3 Watters,R

4* Thomas,T

5 Bettis,J

6* Foster,B

7* Russell,L

8 Brown,G

9 Warren,C

10* Moore,R

Wide Receiver

==== ==============

1 Rice,J

2 Rison,A

3* Sharpe,S

4 Irvin,M

5 Carter,C

6* Metcalf,E

7* Miller,A

8 Brown,T

9 Moore,H

10* Williams,C

Tight End

==== ==============

1 Sharpe,S

2* Green,E

3* Mitchell,J

4* Jackson,K

5 Coates,B

6* Harris,J

7* Jones,B

8* Bavaro,M

9* Metzelaars,P

10* Cash,K

Kicker

==== ==============

1 Jacke,C

2* Murray,E

3* Hanson,J

4 Delgreco,A

5* Johnson,N

6* Andersen,M

7* Jaeger,J

8 Elam,J

9 Carney,J

10 Anderson,G

Can you name all their first names?

Early 90's. I remember my first 4 picks were: Kordell Stewart, Joey Galloway, Chris Carter, and Natrone Means. That was the year that Natron really did well and I made the playoffs. USA Today scoring and we had to call the commish and our opponents with our starting lineup and reseves. In those days you could personally tell your Buddy you were going to stomp him, no message boards!

From a 1993 file I have of top players that year

Quarterback

==== ==============

1 Young,Steve

2* Elway,John

3* Moon,Warren

4* Hebert,Bobby

5* Esiason,Boomer

6 Aikman,Troy

7* Hostetler,Jeff

8 Favre,Brett

9 O'Donnell,Neal

10* Kelly,Jim

Running Back

==== ==============

1 Smith,Emmitt

2* Allen,Marcus

3 Watters,Ricky

4* Thomas,Thurman

5 Bettis,Jermone

6* Foster,Barry

7* Russell,L

8 Brown,Gary?

9 Warren,Chris?

10* Moore,Ron

Wide Receiver

==== ==============

1 Rice,Jerry

2 Rison,Andre

3* Sharpe,Sterling

4 Irvin,Michael

5 Carter,Chris

6* Metcalf,Eric

7* Miller,A

8 Brown,Tim

9 Moore,Herman

10* Williams,C

Tight End

==== ==============

1 Sharpe,Shannon

2* Green,E

3* Mitchell,Johnny?

4* Jackson,Keith?

5 Coates,Ben

6* Harris,J

7* Jones,B

8* Bavaro,Marl

9* Metzelaars,Pete

10* Cash,Keith

Kicker

==== ==============

1 Jacke,Chris

2* Murray,Eddy

3* Hanson,Jason

4 Delgreco,Al

5* Johnson,N

6* Andersen,Morten

7* Jaeger,J

8 Elam,Jason

9 Carney,John

10 Anderson,Gary

Can you name all their first names?

Off the top of my head. Not sure on some.

Early 90's. I remember my first 4 picks were: Kordell Stewart, Joey Galloway, Chris Carter, and Natrone Means. That was the year that Natron really did well and I made the playoffs. USA Today scoring and we had to call the commish and our opponents with our starting lineup and reseves. In those days you could personally tell your Buddy you were going to stomp him, no message boards!

Kordell's and Galloway's rookie year was 1995. But Natrone's pro bowl year was in 1994, though his second-best year was 1997.

My first first round pick was Steve DeBerg. Yes, we used newspapers to tabulate scoring.

Must have been 1990, because in my third year the pick of the draft was Ricky Watters in the 9th round in my 3rd year in the league, Watter's breakout year. Finished winless in 1990, won in 1992 in a runaway, going undefeated, the only time I even did that in FF. . Lorenzo White was another golden late round pick for me in 1992. The kicker was I had the second pick in 92. Nope, it had to be '93.... the guy with the first pick took Marino, who went down for the year in the fifth game, and I rode Favre to the championship.

So, 1991 was my first year.

1986. No day of draft internet cheatsheets to get for free. All research was done over long hours weeks in advance. Pro Football Weekly was one of the few rags that were helpful. Lots of mistakes made. Always 2 or more guys drafted that had been cut or were injured. Guys that did their homework back then had a real edge on draft day which of course was a blast. Everyone in a room, beer, cigars, etc. Ahh the good old days......

Started in 1987 ... TD only league, the commish sent out a hand-written league newsletter with results of the games via US Mail each week in SSAEs each owner had to provide on draft nite. I could not locate my paperwork from that 1987 season, but did find some notes listing the starting roster for my championship-winning team in that same league for 1990, super bowl game starters:

- Joe Montana/Steve Young (we used Team QBs)

- Cleveland Gary

- Merrill Hoge

- Gary Clark

- Tony Martin

- Mervyn Fernandez

- Jeff Jaeger

- Redskin Defense

I managed to win that league again in 1991, super bowl starters for the 1991 season:

- Steve Young

- Brad Baxter

- Marion Butts

- Jerry Rice

- Fred Barnett

- Bill Brooks

- Pete Stoyanovich

- Raiders Defense

... I remember Dave Krieg & Curt Warner from SEA being on that initial 1987 team, but don't recall any of the other players from that roster.

Edited by ts

Well you're really asking two questions there. The first one takes me back to 1934. Admiral Burn had just reached the pole, only hours ahead of the Three Stooges…

My story begins in nineteen-dickety-two. We had to say dickety because the Kaiser had stolen our word twenty. I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles…

Three wars back we called Sauerkraut "liberty cabbage" and we called liberty cabbage "super slaw" and back then a suitcase was known as a "Swedish lunchbox." Of course, nobody knew that but me. Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling…

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say…

Then after World War Two, it got kinda quiet, 'til Superman challenged FDR to a race around the world. FDR beat him by a furlong, or so the comic books would have you believe. The truth lies somewhere in between…

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

(Na, I started playing Fantasy 6 years ago now; Was big into handicapping and poker before that... I was just trying to fit in with you FF old-timers.)

Senior year in high school was my first year (1990). Seattle Times newspaper was our official scoring. We had to call home phones to get our lineups in and for pickups. Messages were left on answering machines!

Those were fun times adding up our own scores, making mistakes, and catching the commish making a mistake by missing a blocked kick for one point to take the victory!!

I remember I had a blue manilla folder with scraps of paper keeping track of standings/points/pickups/rosters.

Good times indeed...

Edited by heehawks

1984 for me. There was another group of guys in college who introduced me to what they were doing.and I borrowed the idea. We used a paper that had different columns of players, you would choose one out of each group and this is who you had for the season. No live drafts at the time. I remember we would get the monday and tuesday paper to get the box scores. We did touchdowns and a single point for hundred yard games, no defense or special teams or kickers. Very basic scoring.. I think we did a buck a week and the highest points each week got the money. There were just 5 or 6 of us but it was fun.

Wikipedia claims 1962 was the first year. I saw someone else on here started in 1964, excellent!!!!

Edited by Oooh Nellie