[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Percy Harvin

The Vikings are idiots.

I get Harvin is a Prima Donna and all, many WR's are but he is a top tier talent and they should have paid him. While they got decent value, the odds are long they will get anywhere near the talent of Harvin with those picks.

Peterson must be sick with this news. He will be longing for only 8 in the box by mid season.

The Vikings are idiots.

I get Harvin is a Prima Donna and all, many WR's are but he is a top tier talent and they should have paid him. While they got decent value, the odds are long they will get anywhere near the talent of Harvin with those picks.

Peterson must be sick with this news. He will be longing for only 8 in the box by mid season.

Trading oft-injured over-priced WR for first round draft picks with the new rookie wage scale is probably the right thing to do.

• Like 1

The Vikings are idiots.

In weeks 10-17(7 games) w/out Percy Harvin in the lineup Adrian Peterson carried the ball 180 times for 1140* yards(6.33 YPC) with 6 TDs

*that total alone would have ranked him 12th in rushing yards last year.

Edited by keggerz

As a Seahawk homer I don't like this trade for several reasons:

1) I'm not convinced he's durable enough, as he plays a rather reckless style. (Maybe, just maybe, having him screw me on three different fantasy teams colors my opinion in regard to durability, but I can handle him screwing my fantasy teams. I just can't handle him screwing my rl team.)

2) I think he's a head case. So he was unhappy with his QB and his contract. Now he's got Wilson and will have a shiny, new, 10 million dollar per year contract, but he'll find some other reason to be unhappy. Just watch when he's not getting 10 targets per game(which he won't get in Seattle). The dude needs to grow up, just not while sitting on the Seahawk sideline hurt and making 10 mil per year. The Seahawks have great team chemistry. Why spoil it with a malcontent.

3) I think the Seahawks have bigger needs than a prima donna WR, mainly defensive line(both end and tackle). If they were to get a WR, I was hoping for a bigger receiver for when Sidney Rice's next injury happens. Overall I think the price was too high, considering the rumored 3rd round pick that's included in the trade.

That's good analysis. Heck I was excited for at least a few days when Herschel came to town. A few days.

So I called my father-in-law to discuss this trade, he also being a Seahawk homer. (He is also the one who got me into serious fantasy football - he bought my first team in STATS Fantasy Football and gave it to me the night of my wedding rehearsal dinner, so he could play fantasy football with his son-in-law. Poor guy had all daughters...) He made a couple of points. One, IF(and that is indeed if capitalized) he stays healthy and happy, there's huge, huge upside. But he also said this trade kind of leaves you holding your breath as a Seahawk fan. Will it be boom or bust? Second, he wondered if the Seahawks wouldn't go out and sign Randy Moss to play big brother to Harvin. Wasn't Harvin super pissed at Childress when the Vikings cut Moss after trading for him and then releasing him? Moss wouldn't cost much, wants to play for a winning team, and could be an insurance policy for Sidney Rice. Not a bad suggestion. He also thought the Seahawks had a bigger need at DE, but wouldn't be surprised if Carroll and Schneider already had that taken care of. He mentioned they've earned the right to Seahawks fans' trust. So don't be surprised if John Abraham signing is right there with the first news of FA signings tomorrow.

So don't be surprised if John Abraham signing is right there with the first news of FA signings tomorrow.

Nah - I'm thinking Dwight Freeney is gonna be Seattle's big "Free Agent" this offseason (that's if he doesn't sign in Tennessee).

Just a hunch..

After really being excited about this move, I have digested, taken a step back, and don't like it anymore.

I LOVE Percy. I even have a Percy Harvin T-shirt. I think he's a great player, possibly elite. Expecting 13 games or whatever doesn't really bother me either. What bothers me is that the Hawks are a run-first team that now has a bazillion dollars tied up at WR and TE. The Seahawks' leading receiver had 50 catches last year. 50. And the Hawks WR corps wasn't bad. Golden Tate has come miles. Rice is very good when healthy. Did we just spend a first rounder and 12+ million per year for a player that is going to catch 50 balls? If the Hawks threw the ball around the lot, I would be all over this. But WR might be the least impactful position on the entire roster considering the style the Seahawks play with.

The Seahawks need DL help. They need OL help. They need LB help. They soon have to negotiate with Okung, Sherman, Earl Thomas and Tate, and Wilson isn't going to be far behind.

Percy's money if 12 mil per year, cost them 2-3 quality players they could have added, and possibly the chance to keep one of their studs at more impactful positions long-term.

Of course I hope he is the guy that puts our offense over the top and makes us incredibly dangerous. This team has needed a speedy playmaker for thirty years. But I'm thinking all the resources could have been best used at a position that helps the Seahawks play the way they are built to play, which is by running the ball and playing defense.

The Vikings are idiots.

If it was just about paying him, then it would have happened. There were clearly some major issues between Harvin and the Coaching Staff/Front Office. He wasn't going to play for Minnesota regardless, so at least the Vikings mitigated the situation well enough to recoup some value from him. I'm actually surprised they were able to pull this off. As a die-hard Vikes fan, I hate seeing elite talent leave the team, but Harvin was never consistent enough for this fan to make any kind of emotional connection with. We'll see if the headaches and other injuries miraculously clear up now, or if he continues to break hearts each season.

• Like 1

So I called my father-in-law to discuss this trade, he also being a Seahawk homer. (He is also the one who got me into serious fantasy football - he bought my first team in STATS Fantasy Football and gave it to me the night of my wedding rehearsal dinner, so he could play fantasy football with his son-in-law. Poor guy had all daughters...) He made a couple of points. One, IF(and that is indeed if capitalized) he stays healthy and happy, there's huge, huge upside. But he also said this trade kind of leaves you holding your breath as a Seahawk fan. Will it be boom or bust? Second, he wondered if the Seahawks wouldn't go out and sign Randy Moss to play big brother to Harvin. Wasn't Harvin super pissed at Childress when the Vikings cut Moss after trading for him and then releasing him? Moss wouldn't cost much, wants to play for a winning team, and could be an insurance policy for Sidney Rice. Not a bad suggestion. He also thought the Seahawks had a bigger need at DE, but wouldn't be surprised if Carroll and Schneider already had that taken care of. He mentioned they've earned the right to Seahawks fans' trust. So don't be surprised if John Abraham signing is right there with the first news of FA signings tomorrow.

:thinking: Grabbing a dude like Moss, who would be beneficial for all the reasons you mention....and the fact that he brings the 49ers playbook with him....makes a bit of sense.

Vikings got the 1.25, a 7th and what looks to be a 2014 3rd for a guy that didn't want to be in Minnesota and would have been gone during FA. To get anything, let alone what they got for a guy they would have lost for nothing, is a score. Viking fans should be elated.

Vikings got the 1.25, a 7th and what looks to be a 2014 3rd for a guy that didn't want to be in Minnesota and would have been gone during FA. To get anything, let alone what they got for a guy they would have lost for nothing, is a score. Viking fans should be elated.

Less than a week ago, most would not have wanted a trade. The most people could hope for was a 2nd (probably 3rd) and a late round pick. Getting a 1st, 7th and future 3rd round made it a no brainer. Hate to see that talent go, yet the pick value was too good to pass up on a soon to be FA for whatever reason. I see the trade itself as fair for both sides. Risk, if any is on Seattle dealing a major talent that demands the ball. Hope Wilson is as good as he looked last season

FYI Games Harvin Played (for any that think he is injury prone):

2009 (rookie) - 15

2010 - 14

2011 - 16

2012 - 9 (IR ankle)

Harvin was a bigger risk of not practicing, than playing regular season games

Yeah, I mean, Peterson just sucked during all those games Harvin missed last year, didn't he :rolleyes:

You missed my point.

Peterson is a beast no doubt and dominates with 8 in the box unlike any back in the league. My guess is he will not be happy with constant run blitz's heading his way next season. Teams will sell out going forward stopping Peterson because they just traded their 2nd best offensive player by a mile because they were unable or unwilling to work it out.

I certainly understand Harvin is a headcase who was playing with a woefully bad QB and understand them trading him. Problem is he has way more talent than most and his departure will be very difficult to replace. Peterson was a huge fan of Harvin.

You missed my point.

Peterson is a beast no doubt and dominates with 8 in the box unlike any back in the league. My guess is he will not be happy with constant run blitz's heading his way next season. Teams will sell out going forward stopping Peterson because they just traded their 2nd best offensive player by a mile because they were unable or unwilling to work it out.

I certainly understand Harvin is a headcase who was playing with a woefully bad QB and understand them trading him. Problem is he has way more talent than most and his departure will be very difficult to replace. Peterson was a huge fan of Harvin.

Did you miss what I posted above? While 7 games isn't a full season it sure showed that he can perform WELL without Percy in the lineup.

Also, Minny was 5-4 with Percy in the lineup last year and 5-2 without him. They also averaged 22.7 PPG with Harvin and 25.0 PPG without him.

With that said I think Harvin is a fantastic weapon and think he is a huge loss for the Vikes.

In weeks 10-17(7 games) w/out Percy Harvin in the lineup Adrian Peterson carried the ball 180 times for 1140* yards(6.33 YPC) with 6 TDs

*that total alone would have ranked him 12th in rushing yards last year.

Edited by keggerz

Did you miss what I posted above? While 7 games isn't a full season it sure showed that he can perform WELL without Percy in the lineup.

Also, Minny was 5-4 with Percy in the lineup last year and 5-2 without him. They also averaged 22.7 PPG with Harvin and 25.0 PPG without him.

With that said I think Harvin is a fantastic weapon and think he is a huge loss for the Vikes.

No I didn't miss your post. I just haven't responded yet. Busy day.

I look at Peterson and Harvin somewhat exclusively. The real problem long term here is Ponder. The Viking won games because Peterson was in full Beast mode. That will be game planned really hard going forward and even more so now that a significant formidable weapon has been removed.

The real issue remains Ponder. When Harvin went down Ponder did not play better, he played much worse. They simply took the ball out of his hands once Harvin went down.

He only had two games over 200 yards with his best 235.

He had 4 games over 100 yards passing with his best being 174.

He had two games under 100 yards passing.

4 of those games he had a rating under under 60. That is terrible.

Peterson friggen rocked though and picked up the slack. The Vikings are now without question the most one dimensional team in football. IMO, they will suffer greatly as a result.

Ponder is the player that now must improve exponentially and without Harvin his task just became way harder.

Which brings me to my point that Peterson must be sick about this trade as he just lost the only other stud quality player regardless of the egos that were in play.

Edited by Ice1

Wish the Vikings could have worked Matt Flynn into that deal too.

I mentioned the same thing here at work and a few of the Viking homers were pretty "meh" on that. Is Flynn really any better than Ponder? The Vikings will draft a QB, sign a vet and let the three compete.

Yeah, I mean, Peterson just sucked during all those games Harvin missed last year, didn't he :rolleyes:

:lol:

I mentioned the same thing here at work and a few of the Viking homers were pretty "meh" on that. Is Flynn really any better than Ponder? The Vikings will draft a QB, sign a vet and let the three compete.

:lol:

Flynn's better than Ponder, any vet Qb they can sign, and anyone they can draft this year, imo. I liked his chances in Seattle, until Wilson proved himself too talented to sit on the bench even for his rookie season.

I don't get the Ponder hate. In his second season they went 10-6 and he had a 65% completion rate, 1743 yards, and 10 TD's vs. 7 INT's through 8 games before Harvin got hurt. That was with Harvin and a prayer at WR. Rudolph hadn't caught fire yet and Peterson was just beginning to round into form. If Harvin doesn't get hurt that's a 3500/20 season. Yeah, he took a huge hit the last 8 games, but you would too if Jerome freaking Simpson was your top WR target. He's no Drew Brees, but that sounds like making lemonade to me.

The Seahawks were a very solid team last year and with the moves they've made thus far, they could very likely be the best team in the NFL right now.

I'm a little miffed at all this Seattle in the Super Bowl talk. I'd rather be sitting in the weeds as the proverbial good, young team that needs a little more seasoning that plays their best football when it counts, down the stretch and into the playoffs and ends up surprising everyone. Now they've just got this big target on their heads, along with the Niners, in the same division even. A pity that those two may be the two best teams in the NFC, but one of them is going to be on the road for the whole playoffs.