[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Julio Jones Done For Year?

DaFreak

Awesome homer info here.... but just as a follow-up... don't you think Douglas is in more of the mold of Roddy White as the chains-moving guy? Good route runner, solid pair of hands... etc...

Would this UDFA surpass Douglas at some point if activated?

I think this team is in serious, serious trouble. Demitrov and Blank need to pony up the 2nd rounder and get Josh Gordon. Could you imagine... Gordon, Jones and a healthy White? Holy moly. :blink:

Good questions.

This team obviously needs a field-stretcher, and while both have some speed, both would seem to thrive in the slot. I tried to think back on if I remember Douglas stretching the field post-ACL injury, and I really don't. Every big gain I can remember has been from getting seperation on a route and getting lots of YAC.

If they move Douglas to the outside when they bring Johnson in, then I can see Johnson earning increased looks, but I think he would have a very hard time surpassing Douglas for slot duties if they opt to put one of the bigger guys on the outside... And like i said, I can't remember anything notable that would suggest to me that they'd put Douglas in a different role than he has now, like you said, more in the mold of Roddy White (but with Julio type YAC ability). Especially if/when White comes back, it's hard to say where Johnson fits into the plans.

Number one issue with Gordon is of course passing the Falcon filter, as they've been extremely gun shy about bringing in problem players into the locker room since Vick. Issue #2 is that this team has had so many issues even with Julio healthy, that I don't think it's smart go all in on WR again and sacrifice a 2nd rounder they desperately need to address the lines. I'm still think the Julio trade was a great one both in the long and short term (had he not gotten injured), but you can't keep sacrificing the lines and depth every year.

Put simply, if this team doesn't improve drastically, then getting a Julio replacement isn't going to put them over the hump, and is only going to contribute to more of the same issues next year, where the passing game loses it's effectiveness because Ryan doesn't have time to let it develop. While Tom Brady had 5 seconds against the Falcons, Ryan has been averaging 2. Doesn't matter if you have field stretchers when you can only air it out 2 times a game.

KFFL - Updating a previous report, Atlanta Falcons WR (foot) will get a second opinion on his foot injury Wednesday, Oct. 8. Jones does not think the injury is season ending.

(KLLF) It is being reported that Jones thinks Dr. Andrews is losing his touch as a doctor as he ages and he's going to play after the bye week regardless of the fact that Andrews thinks his foot may be broken. "I'm a little sore but with the extra week of rest, I'm sure I'll be fine," responded Jones when reporters questioned him Wednesday afternoon.

(KLLF) It is being reported that Jones thinks Dr. Andrews is losing his touch as a doctor as he ages and he's going to play after the bye week regardless of the fact that Andrews thinks his foot may be broken. "I'm a little sore but with the extra week of rest, I'm sure I'll be fine," responded Jones when reporters questioned him Wednesday afternoon.

:busted: Nice try, broham, but it's KFFL, not KLLF, and it wasn't Dr. Andrews... it was Dr. Anderson. :busted:

what is this from, The Onion?

You bastage!

:busted: Nice try, broham, but it's KFFL, not KLLF, and it wasn't Dr. Andrews... it was Dr. Anderson. :busted:

LoL! That was the point, I had to pick a different doctor and just chose to switch the letters around on the website.

what is this from, The Onion?

Fantasy Aces. ;)

You bastage!

Just for your enjoyment! Jones also said,"The Falcons have already finalized a trade sending Gonzalez back to the Chiefs."

Well played, lol. :clap:

My heart was racing reading this and thinking how tf am I gonna pick him up back, after I waited till this afternoon to drop him after I read the official "gone for the season"....

GOOD one Irish

Well played, lol. :clap:

I wonder what Dr. Andrews is worth as a WR? Maybe he and Jones could trade places.

tuscaloosa born and raised here. Julio Jones has legendary stature as being tough as nails. His performance, after the foot was fcked (go adrenaline) should put him square in the BAMF running for life. One handed grab with a broken foot while being held. I'm gonna miss you this year Julio. Heal up my man.

I picked up Douglas strictly because no one else was out there. He's not going to replace Julio Jones. He may be a bye week filler. I kinda have a sneaking suspicion Drew Davis ends up getting more work and does better. But not enough to bank on it. He had good reports from the pre-season and the Falcons really have nothing to lose. They kinda know what they have in Douglas, not so much Davis. Consider him an ultra-mega sleeper. Be interesting to read the practice reports out of ATL this week.

Also, don't look now, but .... BRIAN ROBISKIE IS IN THE MIX! http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons

No offense, but this whole "that would translate into .... over 16 games" thing is... for lack of better words... stupid. Too many folks here use it. "OMG Wes Welker had 5 catches for 100 yards in the first quarter.... he's on pace for 320 catches for 6,400 yards!" :rolleyes:

We're not talking about 16 games. We're talking 11 games where the team's #1 and #2 WRs are either out for the season or severely hobbled. A team with NO OTHER options at WR.

He had 4 catches in both Week 1 and 2. 5 catches Week 4. True, he only got 2 last week and 1 Week 3, but that was with Jones playing.

Will he most certainly average 5-6 catches for 75-80 yards every week? Maybe, maybe not. But the fact that he's averaged 3 for 44 over the first 5 weeks (and looking at prior years) could indicate - with Jones out - that 5-6 for 75-80 isn't too much of a stretch.

:2cents:

No offense, but your response is pretty stupid. You said 5 catches for 75 yards a game, didn't you? That's a pretty optimistic prediction. Drawing it out over 16 games is merely an illustration of how optimistic that is.

Your bizarre Welker example has absolutely nothing to do with this. You said douglas would have x amount of production per game - that's wholly different than people seeing 1 game and extrapolating it over the course of a season. Frankly, I don't see how you could even make that comparison.

I'm fully aware that we're talking about 11 games with NO OTHER WRs. My point was to question whether you were FULLY AWARE of what caliber of performance you were predicting . . .

No offense, but this whole "that would translate into .... over 16 games" thing is... for lack of better words... stupid. Too many folks here use it. "OMG Wes Welker had 5 catches for 100 yards in the first quarter.... he's on pace for 320 catches for 6,400 yards!" :rolleyes:

We're not talking about 16 games. We're talking 11 games where the team's #1 and #2 WRs are either out for the season or severely hobbled. A team with NO OTHER options at WR.

He had 4 catches in both Week 1 and 2. 5 catches Week 4. True, he only got 2 last week and 1 Week 3, but that was with Jones playing.

Will he most certainly average 5-6 catches for 75-80 yards every week? Maybe, maybe not. But the fact that he's averaged 3 for 44 over the first 5 weeks (and looking at prior years) could indicate - with Jones out - that 5-6 for 75-80 isn't too much of a stretch.

:2cents:

No offense, but your response is pretty stupid. You said 5 catches for 75 yards a game, didn't you? That's a pretty optimistic prediction. Drawing it out over 16 games is merely an illustration of how optimistic that is.

Your bizarre Welker example has absolutely nothing to do with this. You said douglas would have x amount of production per game - that's wholly different than people seeing 1 game and extrapolating it over the course of a season. Frankly, I don't see how you could even make that comparison.

I'm fully aware that we're talking about 11 games with NO OTHER WRs. My point was to question whether you were FULLY AWARE of what caliber of performance you were predicting . . .

Now this feels more like the Huddle Forums. As the immortal Rodney Dangerfeld once said, "I went to the fight and the Huddle Forums broke out". Or something like that...

Edited by Tripleshot

tuscaloosa born and raised here. Julio Jones has legendary stature as being tough as nails. His performance, after the foot was fcked (go adrenaline) should put him square in the BAMF running for life. One handed grab with a broken foot while being held. I'm gonna miss you this year Julio. Heal up my man.

I picked up Douglas strictly because no one else was out there. He's not going to replace Julio Jones. He may be a bye week filler. I kinda have a sneaking suspicion Drew Davis ends up getting more work and does better. But not enough to bank on it. He had good reports from the pre-season and the Falcons really have nothing to lose. They kinda know what they have in Douglas, not so much Davis. Consider him an ultra-mega sleeper. Be interesting to read the practice reports out of ATL this week.

Also, don't look now, but .... BRIAN ROBISKIE IS IN THE MIX! http://espn.go.com/b...atlanta-falcons

Wow, that's digging pretty deep, but I guess he is somewhat familiar with the offensive style. Had wondered what happened to him, looked at his stats for 2012, pretty bad (6 games, 4 rec, 44 yards, 1TD).

You could have just said it was a "pretty optimistic prediction" and left it that. Instead, you used the trite/overused "extrapolated over 16 games, that is...." fallacy.

The Welker "example" was meant to be bizarre. Had you picked up on the tone of my response, you would figure out why I used it. It's no more bizarre than your extrapolation BS.

Again, I'm not saying Douglas WILL go for 5-6 for 75ish every week. I'm saying he's CAPABLE of that kind of production given the circumstances and past production. Reading comprehension, 101. :tup:

Edited by darin3
  • Like 1

I couldn't disagree more.

You said that 5-6 catches for 75-80 yards per game wouldn't be too shocking. In an effort to illustrate why I didn't expect him to produce like that, I pointed out what kind of pace you were actually talking about (because people often throw around "per game" estimations without realizing what it is they're actually saying). Pretty sure there are no reading comp issues there.

You seem to be confusing two different contexts when mentioning the trite and overused extrapolation. Not worth saying any more on that front.

I think I got the tone of your response - ALL CAPS and eye-rolling and all that jazz . . . which is why I responded the way I did.

I couldn't disagree more.

You said that 5-6 catches for 75-80 yards per game wouldn't be too shocking. In an effort to illustrate why I didn't expect him to produce like that, I pointed out what kind of pace you were actually talking about (because people often throw around "per game" estimations without realizing what it is they're actually saying). Pretty sure there are no reading comp issues there.

You seem to be confusing two different contexts when mentioning the trite and overused extrapolation. Not worth saying any more on that front.

I think I got the tone of your response - ALL CAPS and eye-rolling and all that jazz . . . which is why I responded the way I did.

Won't respond again since you obviously just don't get it.

The extrapolation thing works when you're talking about a situation that is static. If I came out and said Douglas "could" average 5-6 catches for 75ish yards at the start of the season, then sure... extrapolate to your little heart's content.

But I'm not. Once ATL is past their bye, it will nearly be mid-season, in a season where the team has lost its #1 option and it's #2 option is hurt.

And since you suffer from reading comprehension issues, I'll spell this out again. I am not predicting Douglas gets 5-6 catches for 75ish yards per game. I said I wouldn't be shocked if he did. That, sparky, would be his top end. You see, saying it in that context suggests a slightly higher level of production. Wheels starting to turn a little?

Here's another example. I predict that you'll respond to this thread 2 more times, but wouldn't be shocked if you responded 3+ more times. Make more sense to you?

Won't respond again since you obviously just don't get it.

The extrapolation thing works when you're talking about a situation that is static. If I came out and said Douglas "could" average 5-6 catches for 75ish yards at the start of the season, then sure... extrapolate to your little heart's content.

But I'm not. Once ATL is past their bye, it will nearly be mid-season, in a season where the team has lost its #1 option and it's #2 option is hurt.

And since you suffer from reading comprehension issues, I'll spell this out again. I am not predicting Douglas gets 5-6 catches for 75ish yards per game. I said I wouldn't be shocked if he did. That, sparky, would be his top end. You see, saying it in that context suggests a slightly higher level of production. Wheels starting to turn a little?

Here's another example. I predict that you'll respond to this thread 2 more times, but wouldn't be shocked if you responded 3+ more times. Make more sense to you?

Nah - this'll be the last one. I get everything you're saying - you're just whiffing on some very basic concepts (which is somewhat amusing, given your view that I have reading comp issues).

Now, I may be confusing you with someone else, but when I used to actually post regularly around here a couple years ago - you weren't nearly the abrasive, (strangely) condescending, sophomoric prick that you appear to be these days. Not sure what happened in the interim, but I guess it's consistent with what's happened to this board in general (i.e., most of the good posters are gone and have been replaced by . . . less good posters).

Affectionately,

Sparky

Nah - this'll be the last one. I get everything you're saying - you're just whiffing on some very basic concepts (which is somewhat amusing, given your view that I have reading comp issues).

Now, I may be confusing you with someone else, but when I used to actually post regularly around here a couple years ago - you weren't nearly the abrasive, (strangely) condescending, sophomoric prick that you appear to be these days. Not sure what happened in the interim, but I guess it's consistent with what's happened to this board in general (i.e., most of the good posters are gone and have been replaced by . . . less good posters).

Affectionately,

Sparky

so anyyywayyy...Harry is worth a pickup and should produce slightly above his average numbers. Correct? :ball: