[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pro bowl

MustOfBeenDrunk

It's an awful game. Some say, at least we have football, I'd rather not have a game on and just watch the Olympics. 

11 hours ago, irish said:

It's an awful game. Some say, at least we have football, I'd rather not have a game on and just watch the Olympics. 

That's what I did, plenty of good coverage on the Olympics.

Not sure why people keep trying to watch the Pro Bowl only to determine "this blows" every year. 

I know why the game is played, $$$$$ and apparently its worth it to ESPN or whoever to show it.

I will admit, I watched the first three quarters, and would have watched the entire game had it not been for the fact that I had to take my boy to Cub Scouts.

I will also admit, though, that I was barely paying any attention.  Really just "on in the background" while I messed around on my phone and snoozed a bit.  

My buddy, who played football in HS but doesn't watch much football nowadays, called me up and was like "why aren't they tackling?"  I told him it's become just an exhibition like the NBA All-Star Game with no defense, nothing physical really.  

But yeah, it's dumb.

21 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Wow just reading about this "game" reminds me why I've stopped watching, and why I will never watch. 

https://www.aol.com/sports/afc-holds-beat-nfc-turnover-223859919.html

You won't watch the game, but you'll go to ... of all places AOL ... to READ about the game?  :lol:

OOOOOK!  ;) 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, darin3 said:

You won't watch the game, but you'll go to ... of all places AOL ... to READ about the game?  :lol:

OOOOOK!  ;) 

I have an AOL email account since the dark ages, sometimes I see stories there and read them. The source has nothing to do with the story, which is from Yahoo sports but not AOL.  

Where do you get your news from oh great one. But hey, you were watching the game to begin with, barely or otherwise, OK.....

3 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I have an AOL email account since the dark ages, sometimes I see stories there and read them. The source has nothing to do with the story, which is from Yahoo sports but not AOL.  

Where do you get your news from oh great one. But hey, you were watching the game to begin with, barely or otherwise, OK.....

I get my news from Snooki.  :D 

MLB has the HR derby.  The NBA has a 3-pt contest.  NHL... skills challenge.  NFL?  A game of 2-hand touch football, I guess?  Maybe the dodgeball was more interesting... I don't know.  The worst event of its kind, among the "major" sports, and I'll admit that they're all pretty bad.  I haven't watched a game of any of them, in its entirety, in at least a decade.  Golf is 10 times more interesting.  I even turned on the winter Olympics yesterday, before I even considered trying to find the Pro Bowl.  :shrug:  :lol:

18 minutes ago, DMD said:

I don't see why they even bother anymore. Make it symbolic and don't "play" the game. 

As long as ESPN is willing to pay millions to broadcast the NFL and the players can make $$$ and have a free vacation it will continue. I don't think they even care about ratings. Appears that number is around 8million the last few years, had been above 10million some years with 13.4M in 2011.  The average NFL game gets about 17M. 

There was no game last year, and with more people ignoring it the rating is likely to continue to fall. But apparently there are a large number of people still watching. That 6-7-8 million number is still larger than plenty of other programs on TV, including some major sports with "real games". 

I don't get it, no NFL fans that I know watch. So who is watching, casual fans wanting to see their favorite players? People who forgot there is a week off before the SB and thought this was it? 

There are no shortages of stories about it, and most of them have ideas on how to fix it. Often "do what the other all star games do", like the NBA with their school yard drafting of teams, where some team gets "stuck" with the last guy. 

Edited by stevegrab

Just goes to show how wildly popular the NFL is, I guess.  They can put shlt on a shingle, and sell it like it's a steak sandwich.  I don't know anybody who watches it.  I'm guessing it's mostly kids, or maybe relatively new NFL fans who haven't yet figured out how terrible it is.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Just goes to show how wildly popular the NFL is, I guess.  They can put shlt on a shingle, and sell it like it's a steak sandwich.  I don't know anybody who watches it.  I'm guessing it's mostly kids, or maybe relatively new NFL fans who haven't yet figured out how terrible it is.  

And why do the players even bother? Why risk getting hurt?