[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL to play in Germany

Big John

I always loved listening to my relatives speak in other languages, including German and Romanian. There are always a few words or phrases that either don't have a translation or are simply more familiar in English.  Head Coach and Oh My God were 2 in that video. 

• 6 months later...

The only way it works is a group of teams who play a lot of games against each other and other common opponents. So team A plays this European division, flies over plays their 2 road games back to back then comes home.

But is this 4 new teams? Is it 4 existing teams? Neither works in my view, new teams screws up the good balance we have with the current 8 divisions of 4. The schedule rotation was also really nice until they added the 17th game. Maybe they expand to 18 or 20 games to make it all work.

Either way, not really a fan. If they want American football they can start a new league. As far as I know there isn't a single soccer team in the US that competes in the same league as the top soccer teams in Europe. Sames goes for most of the big team sports, motorsports is one exception with both Formula One and MotoGP(motorcycles) being run in races all around the globe. 

On 4/6/2022 at 1:53 PM, rajncajn said:

Speaking of NFL in Germany... :lol:

I love his laugh when Ryan gets stiff-armed to the ground and amongst all the German talk, you can hear stiff arm. 

• 3 months later...
19 minutes ago, Big John said:

Adding Frankfurt to the mix.  Chiefs and Pats to each play a home game in Germany in 2023.  JAX, TEN and BUF to play a home game in England.

Note that 2023 has the AFC teams with the extra home games again. I honestly think a big part of the push to 17 games was to help give a pool of extra home games to be played outside the home venue, and not take one of the 8 that has been the norm for many years. I know that Jags owner Shad Khan made a commitment before that to play a home game in London annually, but even that may have not been taken well by local fans over time (and especially now if they become a much better team). 

The Browns are among the 10 or so teams that so far have only had one of these International games as a home game. While the Jags have had 9, and Raiders/Dolphins both have 5. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_International_Series

As a west-coaster I absolutely despise the European games.  6am start time is absolutely ridiculous.  Now I know that MNF kicks at 8pm EST which isn't exactly ideal, but at least most folks are awake for kickoff... whether you actually stay up to the final whistle is another story.  But 6am?  Come on.... weekends are for sleeping in.  10am is bad enough.  :lol: 

I think the hardest part would be players having to move to a different country halfway around the world for 6+ months. Would you move your family? Would you have to learn a new language? I would imagine many players would take a smaller salary to stay in the US. That creates an unfair advantage for American teams. Different currencies, exchange rates, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chester said:

I think the hardest part would be players having to move to a different country halfway around the world for 6+ months. Would you move your family? Would you have to learn a new language? I would imagine many players would take a smaller salary to stay in the US. That creates an unfair advantage for American teams. Different currencies, exchange rates, etc.

Definitely, great points.  This is terrible.

1 hour ago, chester said:

Not to mention the corner kicks....and all the diving that will take place. 

• Haha 1

Playing a few games a season in another country is one thing. Having a team based there is entirely different, especially a country so far away and with such different cultures. As for language, they speak English in England, and many people all over Europe speak English. 

It may happen some day, but the logistics are very complicated. Would make more sense to have several teams in Europe, say one division, and a team would travel there and play at least 2 games. The teams from Europe would do the same when they play away games in the US, come here for 2-3 games. 

I know the NFL wants more money, but I don't think this is something with real legs short term. 

14 hours ago, League_Champion said:

No, it would be a European League. Just like soccer. Totally separate from the NFL, NFL Europe. 

They wouldn't play American NFL Teams, get it? 

I missed that announcement, can you enlighten me. 

Or are you referring to the defunct NFL Europe league from the 1990s. 

This thread started as a discussion about the NFL playing in Germany. If there was anything about a league in Europe it must have been in one the numerous posts of yours that I skipped over. 

I still really can't figure out the NFL's infatuation with off-continent games. I get that they want to expand their viewership, but it's obvious that Europeans et al are wholly un-intersted in American football at the level that would support a viable league and a foreign expansion team is a logistical nightmare. I also think it's complete bullmanure that local fans who pay for season tickets are short-changed a game every year so the NFL can play patty-cake with the Brits & Germans.

11 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I still really can't figure out the NFL's infatuation with off-continent games. I get that they want to expand their viewership, but it's obvious that Europeans et al are wholly un-intersted in American football at the level that would support a viable league and a foreign expansion team is a logistical nightmare. I also think it's complete bullmanure that local fans who pay for season tickets are short-changed a game every year so the NFL can play patty-cake with the Brits & Germans.

Cash

1 hour ago, gilthorp said:

Cash

NFLE was an abysmal failure. I can't imagine how they are possibly making money off these games. Certainly not from ticket or merchandise revenue. I would imagine it's a fortune to bring just one team over for a game, much less two. Not to mention all the additional people and equipment that they need to support a game. I'd wager they lose more money on just one of those games than many of us make in our lifetime combined.

23 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

NFLE was an abysmal failure. I can't imagine how they are possibly making money off these games. Certainly not from ticket or merchandise revenue. I would imagine it's a fortune to bring just one team over for a game, much less two. Not to mention all the additional people and equipment that they need to support a game. I'd wager they lose more money on just one of those games than many of us make in our lifetime combined.

I don't agree with you. I doubt they are eating those costs - I'm sure there's a contract with the city and other corporate groups to pay for those. 

Breathing life into a new set of people creates fans, and revenue streams. They wouldn't host a game there if it wasn't a money maker now, and laying the ground work for more cash in the future. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

I don't agree with you. I doubt they are eating those costs - I'm sure there's a contract with the city and other corporate groups to pay for those. 

Breathing life into a new set of people creates fans, and revenue streams. They wouldn't host a game there if it wasn't a money maker now, and laying the ground work for more cash in the future. 

You're probably right. I just can't see any long-term viability though. It's been tried multiple times and they just don't seem all that interested to me. It's more a novelty to them than anything. Swimming is a more popular sport in the UK than American Football.

• Haha 1