[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free Agency Tracker

League_Champion

1 hour ago, BillyBalata said:

Andy Dalton signs with the Saints.

Also Taysom Hill says he's going to focus specifically on playing TE this year so while this isn't a flashy signing,  it settles a lot of questions regarding Winston's security at the position.

5 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Also Taysom Hill says he's going to focus specifically on playing TE this year so while this isn't a flashy signing,  it settles a lot of questions regarding Winston's security at the position.

I was just going to post that I read an ESPN article which says coach Dennis Allen says Hill will be used primarily as a TE. 

Also this Yahoo article says the signing could jeopardize a compensatory pick (3rd round) in 2023 that the Saints were expecting to get.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-andy-dalton-signing-saints-164251605.html

Edited by stevegrab

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Also this Yahoo article says the signing could jeopardize a compensatory pick (3rd round) in 2023 that the Saints were expecting to get.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-andy-dalton-signing-saints-164251605.html

From the article:

Plus, it’s possible that Korte is wrong. He’s put in a lot of work over the years to reverse engineer the NFL’s comp pick formula, which the league oddly protects like it’s a state secret. But he ultimately only deals in projections based off public information. This year he projected the Saints to receive a fourth round pick for Trey Hendrickson and a sixth rounder for Sheldon Rankins. Instead, the NFL awarded New Orleans a third round pick for Hendrickson and said Rankins’ departure was outweighed by the addition of Tanoh Kpassagnon.

The guy who does these projections didn't seem to factor in anything but salaries whereas the NFL also factors in things like whether or not they are projected starters,  what their team value is, playing time and production. He could end up right,  but his system is obviously flawed. A more likely impact to the compensatory pick would be if the Saints signed a tackle who turned out to be an all-pro.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rajncajn said:
4 hours ago, BillyBalata said:

Also Taysom Hill says he's going to focus specifically on playing TE this year so while this isn't a flashy signing,  it settles a lot of questions regarding Winston's security at the position

To me it says that Taysom Hill isn't an adequate backup. I like it for the Saints. Dalton can come in and win a few games if need be. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

To me it says that Taysom Hill isn't an adequate backup. I like it for the Saints. Dalton can come in and win a few games if need be. 

To me it says that he's more valuable on the field than holding a clipboard. I think he's fine as a backup,  but he also creates a problem if he's pushed into the starting position in that his skillset is so much different than Winston's that it takes the entire offense and coaches time to adjust. It's better for the team if he just worries about what made him an exciting player in the first place rather than trying to be a starting QB.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

To me it says that he's more valuable on the field than holding a clipboard. I think he's fine as a backup,  but he also creates a problem if he's pushed into the starting position in that his skillset is so much different than Winston's that it takes the entire offense and coaches time to adjust. It's better for the team if he just worries about what made him an exciting player in the first place rather than trying to be a starting QB.

I haven't been following him as closely as you have. Has he had success at TE? I know he lined up there at times. 

53 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I haven't been following him as closely as you have. Has he had success at TE? I know he lined up there at times. 

There wasn't really anything that he wasn't effective at. He's obviously not going to be a viable long-term starter at QB, but that doesn't mean he couldn't win games. But he is pretty effective with the ball in his hands and part of that success was as a receiver. I doubt that he plays a traditional TE role,  but that's what the Saints are going to call him. 

Edited by rajncajn

17 hours ago, rajncajn said:

There wasn't really anything that he wasn't effective at. He's obviously not going to be a viable long-term starter at QB, but that doesn't mean he couldn't win games. But he is pretty effective with the ball in his hands and part of that success was as a receiver. I doubt that he plays a traditional TE role,  but that's what the Saints are going to call him. 

Which could make him a sneaky option at TE in fantasy that must start TEs.

The ESPN article had a quote from coach Allen saying "I think the role for Taysom really is going to be a lot more of the kind of F tight end, move tight end type of role."  I admit I had to dig into the terms, its the non-traditional TE role, moving around the formation, in the backfield, out wide etc. not lined up in the slot next to OL. 

Last year he didn't do much receiving just 6 targets all season, half his 2020 total, he had 22 targets in 2019. He also didn't record any punt or kick return stats in the last 2 years. Will be interesting to see how he is used and what kind of stats he puts up. Pre season projections will probably be all over the place. 

27 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Last year he didn't do much receiving just 6 targets all season, half his 2020 total, he had 22 targets in 2019. He also didn't record any punt or kick return stats in the last 2 years. Will be interesting to see how he is used and what kind of stats he puts up. Pre season projections will probably be all over the place

That's kinda my point. I'm not sure exactly what it is that he does so well but I'll take Rajn's word for it. Maybe a late round flyer in best ball??

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I was confused where the Rams are finding the money for everyone. Looks like Stafford's cap hit is 13M this year, then 20 next, then jumps to 50M the next two after that. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/matthew-stafford-6078/

On 3/31/2022 at 6:39 PM, purplemonster said:

I was confused where the Rams are finding the money for everyone. Looks like Stafford's cap hit is 13M this year, then 20 next, then jumps to 50M the next two after that. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/matthew-stafford-6078/

Not sure but winning another SB this year coming is looking better and better. 

On 3/28/2022 at 6:12 PM, darin3 said:

AJ Brown missed games in both 2020 and 2021.  Yeah Deebo missed a lot of 2020 but only 1 game in 2021.  If anything I'd say both are about as injury-prone as the other.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your choice; as Brown is a potential stud too.... but in terms of injury and "disappearing", I'd say Brown's shown more of that than Deebo.

neither is available apparently

• 2 weeks later...

Not really free agent news but sort of. 

Second-round picks that include WRs Deebo Samuel, A.J. Brown and Terry McLaurin are not expected to participate in their teams’ on-field off-season programs because they want new contracts at a time this off-season when WR deals have exploded, per league sources

Not a free agent but a huge re-signing. 

Browns are signing Pro-Bowl CB Denzel Ward to a 5-year, $100.5 million contract extension that includes $71.25 million guaranteed, per source. At age 24, Ward is the highest-paid CB in NFL history. Tory Dandy of CAA Sports, who negotiated the contract, confirmed the deal to ESPN
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 4:03 PM, League_Champion said:

According to ESPN, Landry is visiting the Saints.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, League_Champion said:

He'd be a great fit for NO but not at 20 million per. 

I think this is a good setup for the Saints to draft Williams at 19. They wont have to rush him out there because of his injury and he will have two really good veterans to learn from. 

12 minutes ago, CrazyCajun said:

I think this is a good setup for the Saints to draft Williams at 19. They wont have to rush him out there because of his injury and he will have two really good veterans to learn from. 

AGREE, If Williams falls that far they have to grab him, I'd even trade up if need be. 

30 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

AGREE, If Williams falls that far they have to grab him, I'd even trade up if need be. 

90% of the Mocks im seeing he is landing at 19. He fell a little because of his injury. If he didnt get hurt he would of been the first one off the board. Saints are so underrated right now. They are scary good when they plug up those couple holes they have. Imagine having MT, Jarvis, and Williams as your main receiving core. Then you have boom and zoom in the back field and a QB that is only a couple years removed from a 5k passing year. Also, the defense was top 3 last year and they only lost their safeties which will be addressed in the draft and between Maye, Evans, and PJ they will hold their own.