[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baker Mayfield's good bye to Cleveland message

Wolverines Fan

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33514333/qb-baker-mayfield-posts-message-thanking-cleveland-fans-same-day-browns-brass-meets-deshaun-watson

"I have no clue what happens next, which is the meaning behind the silence I have had during the duration of this process. I can only control what I can, which is trusting in God's plan throughout this process. I have given this franchise everything I have. That is something I've always done at every stage, and at every level. And that will not change wherever I take my next snap. Whatever happens... I just want to say thank you to the fans who truly embraced who I am and the mentality that aligned so well with this city's hard working people.

Cleveland will always be a part of Emily and my story. And we will always be thankful for the impact it has had and will have in our lives.

Sincerely,

Baker Reagan Mayfield."

Edited by Wolverines Fan

So, in the end, the NFL won't suspend Watson, it's worse, he'll have to play for Cleveland. 

I don't blame Baker for how he feels. The team told him after the season "you're our QB for next year, and we'll talk about a contract after that". 

I understand the Browns wanting to do everything they can to build a better team. But in order to get to talk to Watson they had to make a trade offer that the Texans would accept. (I suspect that info I posted yesterday was their trade offer.) And so that puts it out there in the public, now everybody knows the Browns are serious about moving on from Baker. Yes Watson is far more talented, and would potentially make us a real playoff contender again. (But then we were that in 2020, with Baker, and most of the same group we had last year. 

Now if the Browns don't get Watson, they've got an unhappy QB that they may be forced to trade and move on from to prevent even more drama thru next year. But if they get Watson, there will be plenty of drama and distractions related to that. One friend of mine when asked what he thinks about pursuing Watson said "Not a fan of Watson. Really cant support people with “character” issues."  He's a younger guy (under 40) and a serious sports fan that wants to win bad. 

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

Now if the Browns don't get Watson, they've got an unhappy QB that they may be forced to trade and move on from to prevent even more drama thru next year. But if they get Watson, there will be plenty of drama and distractions related to that. One friend of mine when asked what he thinks about pursuing Watson said "Not a fan of Watson. Really cant support people with “character” issues."  He's a younger guy (under 40) and a serious sports fan that wants to win bad

I'd be excited if I were you. Watson would make them Superbowl relevant instantly. You've been very critical of Watson. Will you renounce your fandom for the Browns if this happens? Perhaps put your money where your mouth is? 

12 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I'd be excited if I were you. Watson would make them Superbowl relevant instantly. You've been very critical of Watson. Will you renounce your fandom for the Browns if this happens? Perhaps put your money where your mouth is? 

DUH   you're not me dumbmanure.    I don't really financially support the Browns, don't attend games, and don't buy merchandise that often. I'll continue to follow the team and support them. But I'd prefer they not have guys like this on their roster that clearly have some kind of issue. 

Have you renounced your NFL fandom while you bash them endlessly as hypocritical and corrupt? 

Just go away and stop bothering me, then I won't have to respond to your stupidity. The masses here clearly don't care about it. 

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

DUH   you're not me dumbmanure.    I don't really financially support the Browns, don't attend games, and don't buy merchandise that often. I'll continue to follow the team and support them. But I'd prefer they not have guys like this on their roster that clearly have some kind of issue. 

Have you renounced your NFL fandom while you bash them endlessly as hypocritical and corrupt? 

Just go away and stop bothering me, then I won't have to respond to your stupidity. The masses here clearly don't care about it. 

Triggered much? It was just a question. You've been very critical of Watson and I wanted to get your stance on it. 

He's a perfect fit for Cleveland. But you are right, they have a major problem on their hands if they don't get Watson. Mayfield is not happy. 

12 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I know you're not a fan of baker, but downgrading a qb seems very dumb. Yes, trade baker if they get Watson, but what's the plan otherwise?

As a fan of a team who didn't have a qb for years, Cleveland should be happy with baker until a BETTER option comes along

Edit: i don't see a better option in this draft

I'm not anti-Baker at all. I just see him for what he is, an average at best QB. He hasn't made anyone better or done anything to elevate his team. I wouldn't get rid of him unless there's a better option either. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Shaft said:

Watson with Cooper, Chubb, and Hunt? :thinking:

Pretty sweet!

49 minutes ago, League_Champion said:
Few updates on the Baker Mayfield/Browns saga: 1. I'm told Baker has not asked for a trade yet, waiting to see how Watson stuff shakes out. But he will be looking at his options, which could eventually lead to him asking for a trade, regardless of whether Browns land Watson.

Wow, well that escalated quickly.  :lol:   

I figured that if the Browns didn't land Watson that they'd be satisfied with a healthy Mayfield under center.  Guess not.  Who the heck do the Browns think they're gonna get if they don't land Watson?

Turning into quite the poop-show if you ask me.

Let's see... who out there's a FA?  Ryan Fitzpatrick?  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, darin3 said:

Wow, well that escalated quickly.  :lol:   

I figured that if the Browns didn't land Watson that they'd be satisfied with a healthy Mayfield under center.  Guess not.  Who the heck do the Browns think they're gonna get if they don't land Watson?

Turning into quite the poop-show if you ask me.

Let's see... who out there's a FA?  Ryan Fitzpatrick?  

Not sure if the Browns could have handled this better or not. They told Baker "you're our starter for next year, but.....we're still going to look at getting a better QB".  At the time that meant, Rodgers, or Wilson, or maybe one of a few other guys unlikely to leave their teams (one of those first 2 did). Suddenly Watson clears the legal hurdle and is certain to be traded by Texans, so they've got to get in the game. And it became very real possibility at that point to Baker that he'd be gone, and it wouldn't even be part of the big trade itself but a "well we don't need you know so lets find somebody who does" scenario. 

I think Mayfield is expecting he will have little chance to prove he's the franchise QB if he stays, and they'll always be looking for somebody better. His injury and other factors that impacted the team could not have come at a worse time for his career. His 2nd season and the turmoil with first year HC Kitchens also didn't really help. Shame we didn't hire Stefanski back then, instead promoting that guy. 

As for who else could they get, if Watson goes to Atlanta that makes Ryan available, but he'll cost a lot and is old and not a QB for the future but maybe somebody who could help you compete for a couple years while you find somebody. They had interest in Jimmy G long ago, but not so much lately. Of course there are still others like Carr who people think they can acquire somehow. 

Honestly with their running game and defense they should not need an elite QB to be a playoff contender, they did it once before with Baker and they could do it again with him or similar guys. I think pursuing Watson is going to end badly, but I understood why they did it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/16/report-browns-baker-mayfield-are-breaking-up-because-browns-want-an-adult-at-quarterback/

Browns want an adult at QB!  Watson should fit the bill.   🤣

Edited by irish

Can't say I blame Baker here.  He's not good, but he doesn't deserve to be treated like a pos either.  Browns going to get in the Jimmy G/Mariota market?  They not going to have any options soon if they don't. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, irish said:

Wow Florio sure can be an chalupa at times. 

And how is Watson an adult with all his trouble?  And what adult in the Browns organization kept playing an injured Mayfield when we had a competent backup available? 

This team isn't cursed so much as owned by an idiot who apparently is back to meddling in things. Except more drama and change in the near future and a return to winning 4 games a season. 

And apparently earlier today Baker requested the Browns work to trade him, and they told his agent NO. This came after the Browns were eliminated from the Watson sweepstakes.

That whole story about the Browns wanting to get rid of him because they want an adult at QB, if true, tells me that they are really stupid and the real children in all of this. 

Seriously some crazy manure going on, will need to ignore it so I can enjoy some March Madness....

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/03/baker-mayfield-has-ask-the-browns-to-trade-him-and-they-tell-his-agents-they-will-not-accommodate-his-request.html

Edited by stevegrab

42 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Wow Florio sure can be an chalupa at times. 

And how is Watson an adult with all his trouble?  And what adult in the Browns organization kept playing an injured Mayfield when we had a competent backup available? 

This team isn't cursed so much as owned by an idiot who apparently is back to meddling in things. Except more drama and change in the near future and a return to winning 4 games a season. 

My post was complete sarcasm, in was jesting about how going from Baker to Watson isn't better in regard to getting an adult.